PDA

View Full Version : Battle of the Tire

OrangeToys
07-02-2009, 10:00 AM
I am needing new tires and I need you all to give me your opinion on what one you like better. I currently have the BFG AT K/O on my 3/4 Silverado.

The 2 tires I am looking at right now are the BFG AT K/O or the Brigdestone Dueler Revo.

seabee1
07-02-2009, 11:00 AM
i like the cooper atr's i have on my 2500 hd

topsites
07-02-2009, 11:05 AM
I don't know about those, I have 4 of the Cooper Discoverer H/T and they
seem like a decent tire, but I'm guessing you're in need of Off-road traction?

Here's one way to do it, look up some consumer reviews.

mnglocker
07-02-2009, 12:44 PM
i like the cooper atr's i have on my 2500 hd

I've got a set of Cooper ATR's on my 3/4t Ram. They're great truck tires.

Dirt Digger2
07-02-2009, 01:53 PM
i was in the same boat as you...A/T Revo vs. All Terrain a while back

i did a good bit of research on them...I ended up putting the BFGs on the truck. They have a little more aggressive of a tread pattern which helps me not only in looks but also for driving in fields and muddy trails...they were fantastic in the snow as well

our Jeep has the Dueller A/Ts on it...they seem to be wearing better then the BFG's did, perhaps thats because they don't have as aggresive of a tread pattern....I have never had them in mud

they are both great tires and i am sure either will treat you well...i would go lowest price

poolboy
07-02-2009, 05:40 PM
I have the Duelers on two of my trucks and couldn't be more happy with them.

mdlwn1
07-02-2009, 06:01 PM
If your truck will see high road mileage, you will eat those BFG's quickly. Air perssure will be critical in evening out the wear.

Gravel Rat
07-02-2009, 08:19 PM
Go with the Stones the BFG peal off like cheap toilet paper. I don't know anybody that gets any kind of mileage out of BFG tires.

Actually my first choice in light truck tires is Michelin.

esnipe8
07-02-2009, 10:48 PM
Go with the Stones the BFG peal off like cheap toilet paper. I don't know anybody that gets any kind of mileage out of BFG tires.

Actually my first choice in light truck tires is Michelin.

I couldnt disagree with you more regarding the BFG's AT TKO's. They are the best tires that I have ever owned. Last set I had on my F-250 (35") went for over 45k miles. Been through everything you could throw at them and preformed flawlessly.

Michelin are also very nice tire. Great on road tires. Very quiet and smooth.

I had a set of Dueler At's on my old 92 Chevy 1/2 ton. They also were very nice. As a teen in that truck we spent a lot of time in the mud and snow.

If I had to choose, I would pick the BFG's just like I did about 3 months ago.
About $1200.00 installed with lifetime balancing, rotating and flat repair.

4.3mudder
07-02-2009, 11:47 PM
Just this week I got a new set of feet for my Silverado 1500. Michelins, LTX M/S best you can buy, they were high, 700 from discount, act soon, they have a 70 dollar rebate. I could not pass that up.

Very quiet tires

Gravel Rat
07-03-2009, 12:25 AM
Anybody here gets barely 6 months out of BFG AT tires your lucky to get 12,000kms (7500 miles) out of them. My brothers 94 Dodge I think he got 4 months out of them. The tire shop said don't use them but my brother bought them anyhow (235/85R16). Smooth as a babies bum. The tire shop gave him a good deal on a new Goodyear tread design.

If you have twisty roads don't buy the BFG ATs they will not last. The tire shops that sell BFG tires along with other brands don't recommend BFG tires they carry them but don't really promote them.

Want a good tire buy Michelin it is the only tire I could get 20,000kms (13,000 miles) out of that is in the steer position of course.

My 19.5 tires I barely get 24,000kms (15,000 miles) out of them getting anymore is a joke. A drive tire I can get 50,000kms (31,000 miles) but those have 22/32s tread.

OrangeToys
07-03-2009, 12:37 AM
my current tires are BFGs with about 57,000ish (+ maybe), so i think your 7500 is a little off.

Gravel Rat
07-03-2009, 02:46 AM
Not around here your not going to get any kind of mileage out of tires. Maybe if you live in a area where you need a warning sign that says there is a corner coming up your tires will last. When you live in a area the straightest stretch of road is a 1/8th of a mile or less tires don't last.

Lets put it this way people from places where there is nothing but straight roads have troubles driving where I live. Actually its close to prohibbiting people that can't drive in hills or handle twisty roads.

I had a person from Florida say to me they never turned the steering wheel so much in their hole driving carreer a 70 year old man said that. His arms were sore and the brakes just a smoking.

Most tourist can't take the corners and get violently car sick usually you see the whole familly on the side of the road puking during the summer time.

Sorry your not going to get 57,000 miles out of any tire. You must have roads where you can see in one direction that stretch accross half of the nation. You guys must have awfully boring roads if you stare in one direction for hours on end.

burnthecouch
07-03-2009, 03:23 PM
Maybe the BFGs are lasting on all of your smaller trucks but my CC LB F350 barely got 12,000 miles out of the set. Now I do tow about 10,000lbs daily in the busy season but I was religious about tire pressure and rotation and they still didn't last worth a damn. I have bridgestones on the truck now and it is a night and day difference from the BFGs.

SiteSolutions
07-03-2009, 03:40 PM
I've got an 8500 lb truck (F-350, CC, LB, SRW) with gross weight approaching 19,000; tires never seem to last for me either. Tried Toyo mudders in the fall and they are gone, gone, gone. Bad idea.

I heard about one guy who went to 22.5 rims and some 16 ply highway tires. Those tires are actually cheaper than the Toyo M/T 10 plies! Have to invest a bunch of coin in the rims and adapters, and I can't help but think it would have adverse effects on the suspension and brakes. That boy is getting a LOT of wear out of the tires, though...

4.3mudder
07-03-2009, 03:52 PM
Those michelins I bought are rated for 80000 miles.

Gravel Rat
07-03-2009, 03:54 PM
If you are looking for a tire with better handling and wear, 19.5 tires are it. I will never go back to mushy 16 inch rubber.

On a P/U truck I think Rickson wheels are the way to go. You can use the 225 or the 245 19.5 tires.

Running a 22.5 tire isn't a good idea they are a little too hard and you will have a real problem in rain or if the pavement isn't dry. A P/U truck isn't heavy enough to make the tires grip the road.

GravelyGuy
07-03-2009, 08:28 PM
I've got an 8500 lb truck (F-350, CC, LB, SRW) with gross weight approaching 19,000; tires never seem to last for me either. Tried Toyo mudders in the fall and they are gone, gone, gone. Bad idea.

I heard about one guy who went to 22.5 rims and some 16 ply highway tires. Those tires are actually cheaper than the Toyo M/T 10 plies! Have to invest a bunch of coin in the rims and adapters, and I can't help but think it would have adverse effects on the suspension and brakes. That boy is getting a LOT of wear out of the tires, though...

Were they the Toyo Open Country M/T 10 Plys? Mine have around 10,000 miles on them now with very little wear.

SiteSolutions
07-03-2009, 08:38 PM
Were they the Toyo Open Country M/T 10 Plys? Mine have around 10,000 miles on them now with very little wear.

Yep, E Range Open Country M/T. I am guessing I run a little more tongue weight than that ferrin truck of yours.

Rears are way past due for replacement. Fronts are about gone, too.

GravelyGuy
07-03-2009, 08:47 PM
Yep, E Range Open Country M/T. I am guessing I run a little more tongue weight than that ferrin truck of yours.

Holy crap man, those are shot. Mine look good after hauling the 200 gallon skid in the bed and towing.

How many miles?

SiteSolutions
07-03-2009, 08:53 PM
Maybe less than 10,000. Truck's only got 115,000 or so on it and I think I was over 105k when I got those. I'm shopping for a goose neck to move the weight forward a little. Heck, I found a good goose neck but need some capital to get it. Probably just need to get a duallie next time around. I just like the looks of the SRW better!

Gravel Rat
07-03-2009, 09:40 PM

I think you need some tires :dizzy:

I never have run my tires that bald. When they get down to 10-15% tread left off they come. With our roads here you have a blow out you might aswell consider yourself dead.

Myself my truck will need steer tires before winter so I'am looking at another 320 dollars per tire :cry:

esnipe8
07-03-2009, 10:53 PM
my current tires are BFGs with about 57,000ish (+ maybe), so i think your 7500 is a little off.

I could see this happening.
I put on about 30k+ miles a year in my CC SB F-250. 90% on asphalt.
My personal experience with BFG TA KOs have been amazing. I tried pro comp at's on my moms Tahoe, those were crap. She went back to Michelin's. Those tires are smooth as silk and quiet.

I would not trade the off/on road capabilities, longevity, and look of the BFG's for any other tire.

IMHO

GravelyGuy
07-03-2009, 11:46 PM
Maybe less than 10,000. Truck's only got 115,000 or so on it and I think I was over 105k when I got those. I'm shopping for a goose neck to move the weight forward a little. Heck, I found a good goose neck but need some capital to get it. Probably just need to get a duallie next time around. I just like the looks of the SRW better!

Those tires cost me like $1200 or more, I would be pissed if I was you. Does the warranty cover premature wear???

SiteSolutions
07-04-2009, 12:21 AM
Yeah, they cost me at least that much... and I haven't even completely paid them off yet!

I'm not really pissed but definitely disappointed in the decision. Most of my miles are on asphalt, loaded, with a lot of tongue weight, but I still have to be able to get around on dirt, even damp/soft dirt. I think A/T is the most aggressive I can go. BFG makes a Commercial T/A that has a pretty good pattern; I like the looks of it. Maybe that will be my next attempt...

beano
07-04-2009, 02:09 AM
Just purchased the 4th set of my Bridgestone Dueler AT REVO's and will never buy another tire as long as i own a truck. Good all purpose tire, snow, rain mud whatever you throw at it, it performs well. Best money i ever spent. Tow daily and seem to get about 60 to 70,000 out of a set.

burnthecouch
07-04-2009, 10:31 AM
Just purchased the 4th set of my Bridgestone Dueler AT REVO's and will never buy another tire as long as i own a truck. Good all purpose tire, snow, rain mud whatever you throw at it, it performs well. Best money i ever spent. Tow daily and seem to get about 60 to 70,000 out of a set.

Quoted for the truth and I was able to buy them at Sam's Club and still save $100 over buying them online.

beano
07-04-2009, 03:34 PM
I went to a local tire dealer and got them out the door for less than $850. Also got 4 free oil changes so not a bad deal if you ask me.

Texas Aggie
07-05-2009, 06:16 PM
If your truck will see high road mileage, you will eat those BFG's quickly.

I disagree. I'm on my second set of these tires (on a second Tahoe) and they barely show any wear after 25K plus miles. Pulling may add more wear, but not high road mileage by itself.

OrangeToys
07-06-2009, 07:10 PM
Found out today that Bridgestone is getting rid of the Revo and taking its place the the Dueler 695

burnthefurniture
07-06-2009, 07:45 PM
I've loved my Revos...why is bridgestone getting rid of them?

OrangeToys
07-07-2009, 12:48 PM
I don't know the reasoning but I was told that the new one is suppose to be better and is one of the best AT tire around right now

FLAhaulboy
07-07-2009, 09:28 PM
I am needing new tires and I need you all to give me your opinion on what one you like better. I currently have the BFG AT K/O on my 3/4 Silverado.

The 2 tires I am looking at right now are the BFG AT K/O or the Brigdestone Dueler Revo.

Get the BFG AT K/O tires. I am on my second set of these tires and they are awesome! I went three yrs on the last set with very high mileage during that time. Off road half the time, driving 80+ mph, these K/O's handle every need extremely well.

I only wish I could afford to put them on all my trailers!

longblade
07-09-2009, 10:33 PM
I've had Revo's and they were good. But I have been using Michelins A/T2 and they are excellent. I run them on a GMC Yukon and GMC 2500 truck. Great tires! Oh… I experience the TKO’s years ago… never again.

http://www.vaildiscounttire.com/images/michelin/ltx-at2.jpg

pitrack
07-10-2009, 01:31 AM
If you haven't looked at the Dick Cepek FC-II tires, check them out. Great on/off road tire and they look pretty mean. I have the Dick Cepek Mud Country tires, a little more off road worthy but the FC-II's are a great great tire.

Not the best picture, but here's the FC-II's on a buddies truck.
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i248/pitrack/DSC_0270.jpg
http://www.dickcepek.com/tires.php?item=RadialFCII

OrangeToys
07-11-2009, 12:28 AM
nice truck

SNAPPER MAN
07-11-2009, 12:05 PM
I'd go with the BGF All terrain ko's. I just got a set for my new truck and they are really nice, not very lound and I know guys that have them last them 50-60k miles. I don't know if you have considered it but the Goodyear Wrangler A/T is also a good all terrain tire that I would take a look at. My dads F-250 has them and they seem to be a nice tire, not as good looking as the bf goodrichs but it is another option because goodyear stands behind their products.

nosparkplugs
07-11-2009, 12:45 PM
Light truck tire's apply to most of us. If you want to extend your tire wear & load carrying one needs to step up to a 19.5" tire.

This is one debate that continues on all forums:dizzy:For our industry & most of us are running: 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton, 1 ton trucks.
First tire's are like shoe's we all wear them differently, and towing & hauling heavy loads is very hard on any brand of tire at any price. If your towing & hauling and get 45,000 miles out of your tires your doing well:drinkup:

I have run Michelins LTX A/S, Toyo, Open Country, BFG Commercial T/A, Copper Zeon LTZ, and now I have new General Grabber AT2.

Minus the Cooper LTZ all my tire's have been true E-rated 10ply tire's. I really liked the Cooper LTZ tires, wore like steel compared to the more expensive Michelins. Unfortunalty, Cooper discontinued my tire size in the Zeon LTZ's.

Michelins of course have the "name" recognition, and higher price too depending on the tire size, rating & ply. I tend to eat up tire's quickly, and the Michelins faired no better under daily towing for the extra money I spend. So I will never go Michelin good name on the tire, but nothing extra for that name & money!!!! IMO.

Cooper Tire's are made in USA, and makes many of these "custom" truck tire's for other companies for example, Copper makes tire's for Dick Cepak, Micky Tompson, and more. For the money Cooper tire's are really hard to beat. I would not hesitate running Coopers again. Reason I left Cooper they stopped making my tire size.

Toyo tire's Open Country, I will say are 100% total junk tires wore like crap, and were done with 25,000 miles of towing. Worst tire choice I made.

BFG Commercial T/A now this tire wore good, but was on my F-350, and I sold than truck great tire's got them at Sam's Club too.

I just purchased new tire's about 2 months ago I choose General Grabber AT2 E rated 10 ply tire's. General is owned buy Continental Tire Corp. I did a-lot of research on new tires this time more than in the past. I found General tire's has been a "underdog" for some time, and has been making some great tire's for less money. Most People posting negative about General tire's are pissed off because they have realized they spend more on the BFG A/T tire's and could have saved money going with the second generation General Grabber AT2.
When purchasing tire's you have so many options today, like anything else in our industry, some good research will put to rest the tire myth's.

Compared to 20 years ago, with advancements in rubber & tread compounds & tire design. It is clear the old system to classify a tire is out-dated. Tire's on a modern 1/2 ton light truck are now capable of carrying loads 15 years go would require a higher rated tire.

So with some good research, and with all the tire "rebate's" out right now, one should be able to find a good tire for their feet

pitrack
07-11-2009, 08:40 PM
Light truck tire's apply to most of us. If you want to extend your tire wear & load carrying one needs to step up to a 19.5" tire.

This is one debate that continues on all forums:dizzy:For our industry & most of us are running: 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton, 1 ton trucks.
First tire's are like shoe's we all wear them differently, and towing & hauling heavy loads is very hard on any brand of tire at any price. If your towing & hauling and get 45,000 miles out of your tires your doing well:drinkup:

I have run Michelins LTX A/S, Toyo, Open Country, BFG Commercial T/A, Copper Zeon LTZ, and now I have new General Grabber AT2.

Minus the Cooper LTZ all my tire's have been true E-rated 10ply tire's. I really liked the Cooper LTZ tires, wore like steel compared to the more expensive Michelins. Unfortunalty, Cooper discontinued my tire size in the Zeon LTZ's.

Michelins of course have the "name" recognition, and higher price too depending on the tire size, rating & ply. I tend to eat up tire's quickly, and the Michelins faired no better under daily towing for the extra money I spend. So I will never go Michelin good name on the tire, but nothing extra for that name & money!!!! IMO.

Cooper Tire's are made in USA, and makes many of these "custom" truck tire's for other companies for example, Copper makes tire's for Dick Cepak, Micky Tompson, and more. For the money Cooper tire's are really hard to beat. I would not hesitate running Coopers again. Reason I left Cooper they stopped making my tire size.

Toyo tire's Open Country, I will say are 100% total junk tires wore like crap, and were done with 25,000 miles of towing. Worst tire choice I made.

BFG Commercial T/A now this tire wore good, but was on my F-350, and I sold than truck great tire's got them at Sam's Club too.

I just purchased new tire's about 2 months ago I choose General Grabber AT2 E rated 10 ply tire's. General is owned buy Continental Tire Corp. I did a-lot of research on new tires this time more than in the past. I found General tire's has been a "underdog" for some time, and has been making some great tire's for less money. Most People posting negative about General tire's are pissed off because they have realized they spend more on the BFG A/T tire's and could have saved money going with the second generation General Grabber AT2.
When purchasing tire's you have so many options today, like anything else in our industry, some good research will put to rest the tire myth's.

Compared to 20 years ago, with advancements in rubber & tread compounds & tire design. It is clear the old system to classify a tire is out-dated. Tire's on a modern 1/2 ton light truck are now capable of carrying loads 15 years go would require a higher rated tire.

So with some good research, and with all the tire "rebate's" out right now, one should be able to find a good tire for their feet

That's interesting, I have heard nothing but good things about the Toyo Open Country tires. I was planning on buying a set of those when my current tires are done.

supercuts
07-12-2009, 11:04 PM

i am needing to know why so many people use needing. has it become a slang term and im just too stupid or are people stupid and dont know english?

OrangeToys
09-13-2009, 12:13 AM
i am needing to know why so many people use needing. has it become a slang term and im just too stupid or are people stupid and dont know english?

I do need tires though cause they are getting worn out and have cracks all the way around them.

Bridgestone just came out with the Revo 2, ill be placing my order on monday or tuesday this week for 4.

stroker51
09-13-2009, 07:59 PM
Nobody's mentioned them, but I have had really good luck so far with Hankook's Dynapro AT/M tire. I put them on my 01 last fall, 285 75 16 ten ply and I have about 15k on them now they are really wearing pretty good. A lot better than the BFG's I had before. I put the same tire, in the 235 size on my dump and they are really impressing me, and just put a set on the 96 after my front end re build a couple weeks ago. I have a buddy who is a tire dealer, and he gets the 285's for me for about $650 a set.