PDA

View Full Version : Equipment for lawn fertilizing and weed control?

Idonthaveaname
07-02-2009, 03:12 PM
I am looking at starting a lawn fertilizing and weed control business and I was wondering what is the bear minimum equipment I would need or should start out with? I am not looking to start out with anything fancy, just to get started and get the job done right. Also, how much would everything cost and whats the best way about getting stuff used? I already know I need a applicators license, business license, truck, promotional products, chemicals and etc. Would you also suggest starting out with a software and how much do they cost?

Also, a side question, what profit margins should I expect? like 50%? Thanks for the help in advance.

david shumaker
07-02-2009, 07:48 PM
I have a good broadcast spreader, backpack sprayer and several tank sprayers. I only do applications for my regular lawn customers, so I don't need alot of equipment. If your yards aren't huge, this equipment should get you started. Don't but a cheap spreader. I have a Spyker and it cost about $400.00 I think.

shovelracer
07-02-2009, 07:59 PM
Get yourself versed on what real profit is. You might be surprised to find out that it is a lot less than you think. Whatever you figure your operating expenses to be just double it and you are closer to more realistic numbers.

Idonthaveaname
07-03-2009, 12:28 AM
Thanks David. How do the tank sprayers work? Do they have like a motor or something? Where would be the cheapest place to buy everything?

Shovelracer; I have just read that it's about a 50% profit margin, but want to hear want everyone else thinks. I know it will depend on operating cost, which at first will be little starting out.

david shumaker
07-04-2009, 07:47 PM
Thanks David. How do the tank sprayers work? Do they have like a motor or something? Where would be the cheapest place to buy everything?

Shovelracer; I have just read that it's about a 50% profit margin, but want to hear want everyone else thinks. I know it will depend on operating cost, which at first will be little starting out.

I just use the pump up type that can be purchased at most hardware, garden stores, etc. Most lawn equipment dealers sell all types of sprayers also. You can buy motorized sprayers, but you can just keep it simple until you have enough accounts. There should be plenty of info under the pesticide forum on this site. When you study for your applicators license, it will explain the different type of sprayers and application equipment.

Idonthaveaname
07-04-2009, 09:27 PM
What size spreader and tank should I start out with?

david shumaker
07-05-2009, 06:34 PM
What size spreader and tank should I start out with?

I use a Spyker Model 58 spreader that holds 55 lbs. A 4 gallon backpack sprayer and a 2 gallon & 1 gallon tank sprayer should be enough to start on residential lawns. Sometimes I use a hose end sprayer that you can buy at Walmart, Lowes, etc. for about $10.00.

I just bought some more cheap tank aprayers from Chaplin Sprayers. They have some on special on their website. Spyker has a website also with details on their spreaders.

If you have a Northern Tool Store or commercial lawn eqipment dealer near you, they will have what you need and show you.

Don't buy one of those cheap spreaders with plastic wheels.

YardBoss Lawncare
07-05-2009, 09:45 PM
How many accounts are you going to service each day? Most applicators calibrate their sprayers to put out 2 gallons of mix per 1,000 sq. ft. A 200 gallon tank will treat about 2 acres. If you jump in with both feet (so to speak) and buy a new one, you're going to spend around $3,500. That'll get you an electric hose reel, diaphram pump, and a small gas engine. Diaphram pumps will put out enough GPM to shoot trees and what not, along with your regular ornamental and turf apps. When choosing your tank size, have an idea how often you're going to be able to refill your rig. Then have an idea how many sq. ft. you're going to be treating in between refills. Plan on your business growing and purchase what you are going to need later down the road when you're spraying all day, several days out of the week. That way, you won't have to upgrade in the future to accomodate your business needs. Just my 2 cents.

YardBoss Lawncare
07-05-2009, 09:50 PM
A D403 hypro diaphram pump by itself is a $750 replacement. I know, because I just replaced one in March, and that's what I paid in Tulsa, OK. It's a 3 piston pump that bolts up to a gear reduction box. That gear reduction box bolts up to your gas engine. The diaphrams in the pump have to be replaced from time to time. That's around $100 (maybe once a year, depending on your use).

Idonthaveaname
07-05-2009, 11:48 PM
I plan on getting 10 new customers a week atleast so within one year about 500 customers if not more. I am assuming I should start out with the better equipment? Thankd LDH

YardBoss Lawncare
07-06-2009, 09:55 AM
I plan on getting 10 new customers a week atleast so within one year about 500 customers if not more. I am assuming I should start out with the better equipment? Thankd LDH

No problem. What kind of vehicle are you going to be doing this out of?

turfbuilder
07-06-2009, 10:17 AM
I use FIMCO sprayers. I have a 25 gallon trailer pull behind and a 15 gallon that mounts on a atv along with a spreader. I use Gilmour backpacks for the small residentials.:usflag:

Idonthaveaname
07-06-2009, 02:36 PM
No problem. What kind of vehicle are you going to be doing this out of?

I plan on buying a small half ton truck like a ford ranger just to start out with.

YardBoss Lawncare
07-06-2009, 07:24 PM
200 gallons will squat my 3/4 ton truck pretty good, so you'll have to go smaller on your tank size, unless you go with a trailer.