PDA

View Full Version : retaining wall pricing: 400', 2-4 feet high

JDeere
07-02-2009, 06:08 PM
Hi,

I need a retaining wall contractor in the Portland Oregon area to contact me. I've seen a couple posting to this site that seem like they are quite experienced. Unfortunately, I can't remember one of the guy's names, who seemed like a standout.

I have two walls of a little over 200 feet apiece. Grade is mostly a modest 2-3 percent. I'll likely be using Mutual Materials Celtik, Belgard Highland or something similar. The first wall of about 200 feet will average about 3' above ground with disturbed soil behind the wall. There are three gentle arcs. The second wall is also about 200' in length, also wi some gentle arcs varying about 12"- 18" above grade.

yesterday I received a pricing quote from a stone mason friend in the area. It was big enough to lift my eyebrow, considering that excavation and backfill wasn't covered.

There is no frost heave to speak of here in our temperate climate. I've been told a one course bury over 6 inches of compacted rock is about right. The soil behind the wall is relatively flat, no more than a foot of grade in 10-12 feet.

No steps, just wall. Easy access for equipment. No steep ground, just gentle terraces for architectural interest.

Would anyone care to chime in on some pricing generalities? I realize that "actual mileage may vary". Can be cost per foot or a generalized formula for ballpark purposes. I know the (contractor's) material cost on MM Celtik is about $13.30 per square foot without capstone.

Thanks very much for the help. This is an incredibly useful site.

shovelracer
07-02-2009, 08:53 PM
30-50K should cover it. Best to get a few local guys in there and view their portfolios and past work.

tamadrummer
07-02-2009, 09:04 PM
Look for Jim Lewis. Private message him, he is in your area and would probably love to bid on this project.

Lite4
07-03-2009, 10:14 AM
Jim lewis (Lewis Landscape services)
www.lewislandscape.com