PDA

View Full Version : Professional vs Consumer Grade Equipment

greenchoppers
07-02-2009, 07:20 PM
Hello Forum,

I was wandering if any of you know of place I can get factual information on Professional grade mowers (Toro, John Deere, etc) advantages over consumer grade. I know the obvious reasons but I need some factual based data to supply to a potential client.

Thanks for your help.

TomberLawn
07-02-2009, 08:00 PM
Looking at specs is a start. I don't know of any scientific study showing the benefits of commercial equipment over residential, but these forums are full of real-world experiences with both types of equipment. I'd suggest searching for some good info on the forums and printing out some of the best posts.

stephen424
07-02-2009, 08:03 PM
question: you have consumer products and the client wants you to use commercial products?
i'm new at this so wait on more experienced opinions. i use Toro equipment for mowing. i have a commercial Z master 40", a commercial Z master 48" and a home depot Toro 22" self propelled. As far as the cut, my 22" cuts look just as nice as my 40" cut, on a residential lawn.

consumer mowers have shorter warranties, less durable decks and parts.

airsoftamazon
07-02-2009, 09:34 PM
question: you have consumer products and the client wants you to use commercial products?
i'm new at this so wait on more experienced opinions. i use Toro equipment for mowing. i have a commercial Z master 40", a commercial Z master 48" and a home depot Toro 22" self propelled. As far as the cut, my 22" cuts look just as nice as my 40" cut, on a residential lawn.

consumer mowers have shorter warranties, less durable decks and parts.

If you stick with something like John Deere where there are higher possibilities to get parts and service, then you should be o.k. as far as using consumer grade. As far as I know, John Deere seems to be very good quality. I usually don't have a problem with my consumer grade products since I take especially good care of it. I own a JD mower and love it. As far as your first question, They want what they want. If you can't provide it, then you may need to discuss with them some leeway towards your commercial gear. I had that happen to me before. Someone wanted me to use a walk behind consumer. Said she didn't like how commercial mowers cut. I've noticed that some commercial grade mowers didn't cut as smooth and that's with new blades. I know that's not true with most commercial mowers, but she did have a factual point from my experience.

greenskeeper79
07-12-2009, 05:55 PM
Hello Forum,

I was wandering if any of you know of place I can get factual information on Professional grade mowers (Toro, John Deere, etc) advantages over consumer grade. I know the obvious reasons but I need some factual based data to supply to a potential client.

Thanks for your help.

consumer grade is built for what? 1 hr/wk for 30 weeks per year = 30hrs/yr

pro grad is built for what? 60hrs/wk for 30 weeks per year = 1800hrs/yr

you get what you pay for.

TMK
07-25-2009, 02:11 PM
totally agree with greenskeeper79_

topsites
07-26-2009, 09:57 AM
I did want to add that, even thou some manufacturers call their high end equipment
"professional" (Stihl does this as one example) that the correct term would be commercial grade,
as we'd be using the equipment commercially (meaning for business, doesn't matter if residential
yards are being serviced with it).

Then, I've also noticed it really seems to boil down to the brand of the equipment, because with
certain brands even their lower end products are made of the same quality materials and the same
rigorous specifications as their high end products (meaning that it holds up as well, it might have less power)
so the lesson here is to stick to certain brands and stay away from others, what I gathered over the years.

Hope that made sense LOL

TMK
07-26-2009, 10:57 AM
As far as I know, John Deere seems to be very good quality.

Yea that 800 z series last year was great:rolleyes: