PDA

View Full Version : 18 years old lawn buisness

Jpeg lawn maintenance
07-02-2009, 09:25 PM
Hello everyone i just graduated high school i had about 4 lawns while in school now that i am out i got about 10 lawns regular and some mulching and odd jobs i am looking for some advise on advertising and other advise i would need coming into the business i have a

48in rh stander new
15hp lesco wb
stihl trimmer
3 push mower toro ryobi craftsman
stihl hedge trimmers
6X12 trailer
1500 dodge ram 4x4

I am open to any advise and what the veterans in the buisness think please help me out i want to make a successful living doing this thanks everyone for your time !

DLAWNS
07-03-2009, 01:32 AM
Welcome to the site! Best thing to get new work...word of mouth. I also use flyers, direct mail, and I do a refer a friend program for my current customers. There is also phone books and newspapers. Best of luck to you!

newtostone
07-03-2009, 02:17 AM
Letter your truck and uniforms. Door to door while working in a neighborhood works wonders, and don't forget the referral program keeps people talking everyone trust their friends. Phone book, news paper and direct mail are all over rated to cost vs. return.

DLAWNS
07-03-2009, 08:10 AM
Letter your truck and uniforms. Door to door while working in a neighborhood works wonders, and don't forget the referral program keeps people talking everyone trust their friends. Phone book, news paper and direct mail are all over rated to cost vs. return.

Great point, I totally forgot about lettering trucks and uniforms. I agree that phone book and newspaper are usually a waste of time, but I think direct mail has it's place as a supplement to fliers. I did a couple a year back and had pretty decent results.

Jpeg lawn maintenance
07-03-2009, 02:26 PM
Great point, I totally forgot about lettering trucks and uniforms. I agree that phone book and newspaper are usually a waste of time, but I think direct mail has it's place as a supplement to fliers. I did a couple a year back and had pretty decent results.

Thanks for your replies guys i am actually working with vista print online now getting shirts and 2 big magnents for my truck so hopefully it works out for me i apprciate your responses i would like to make some friends on here being that i am new !

KCfireman
07-03-2009, 04:46 PM
Welcome, and yes word of mouth is a great way to get new accounts. If I were you, I'd get rid of 2 of those 21''. Keep the Toro.

Jpeg lawn maintenance
07-03-2009, 06:49 PM
Welcome, and yes word of mouth is a great way to get new accounts. If I were you, I'd get rid of 2 of those 21''. Keep the Toro.

Thanks kc for the advise and why would u recommend to get rid of 21 inch ?

mowerbrad
07-03-2009, 07:29 PM
Like everyone else said, word of mouth is the best way to get new business. But you can't always rely on just that. The goal in advertising is to get your name out there. You don't have to do anything flashy to start. Just like you are doing now, getting signs on your truck and shirts made out will get you name out there. If you order a few more shirts you can hand them out to your friends and when they wear them, they would basically be advertising for you.

Jpeg lawn maintenance
07-03-2009, 07:41 PM
Like everyone else said, word of mouth is the best way to get new business. But you can't always rely on just that. The goal in advertising is to get your name out there. You don't have to do anything flashy to start. Just like you are doing now, getting signs on your truck and shirts made out will get you name out there. If you order a few more shirts you can hand them out to your friends and when they wear them, they would basically be advertising for you.

thank you for your time brad i think thats what i am going to do acutally get about 10 shirts made and also the magnets i think this will work so far i would have about 20 lawns but i had to turn down many becuase of being in school still now that i am out of school everyone around my town knows me because my pap was the forman for the borough so i am known its just getting the lawns now thanks for your time i am looking forward to next spring getting alot of things going

mowerdude777
07-07-2009, 10:53 AM
As stated by others word of mouth is best, I have had luck with offering vacation cuts or one time cuts, people realy like that

KCfireman
07-07-2009, 10:57 AM
Thanks kc for the advise and why would u recommend to get rid of 21 inch ?I recommend it because it looks like you don't have a commercial trimmer?? If you sell one of the 3 21's you could put that $ in a lawn bank account and save up to buy a Stihl FS90R!:weightlifter:In my personal opinion If I were you I'd get rid of the craftsman and ryobi. Like I said, keep the toro:weightlifter: because their a good mower.

Jpeg lawn maintenance
07-07-2009, 04:00 PM
I recommend it because it looks like you don't have a commercial trimmer?? If you sell one of the 3 21's you could put that $ in a lawn bank account and save up to buy a Stihl FS90R!:weightlifter:In my personal opinion If I were you I'd get rid of the craftsman and ryobi. Like I said, keep the toro:weightlifter: because their a good mower.

i do have a stihl weed eater and hedge trimmer i have fs 46 and the reason for this is because i like curve shaft i am tall and straight shaft hurts my back bent over to much i payed 170 for it and i had the money to buy a 90 but its straight shaft dont like them

93Chevy
07-07-2009, 05:11 PM
Where are you in Pittsburgh?

Jpeg lawn maintenance
07-07-2009, 08:42 PM
Where are you in Pittsburgh?

i am around sewickley moon ambridge but i live in sewickley how bout you chevy

punt66
07-07-2009, 08:47 PM
thank you for your time brad i think thats what i am going to do acutally get about 10 shirts made and also the magnets i think this will work so far i would have about 20 lawns but i had to turn down many becuase of being in school still now that i am out of school everyone around my town knows me because my pap was the forman for the borough so i am known its just getting the lawns now thanks for your time i am looking forward to next spring getting alot of things going

People could care less about shirts. Do a good job at a fair price with a smile. Work hard. It takes time to get a good list. So don't expect too much for a while. Also, work on your punctuation. Your posts are tough to read.

oakleaf
07-07-2009, 08:51 PM
I'm running into the same problem, LOL.

I don't know what to do either, I only have 4 mowing accounts and I run 3 crews.

punt66
07-07-2009, 09:02 PM

I don't know what to do either, I only have 4 mowing accounts and I run 3 crews.
hahahahahhahahhahahaha

Jpeg lawn maintenance
07-07-2009, 09:05 PM
hahahahahhahahhahahaha

Punt if ur gonna be ignorant dont comment on my forums thanks !!!

punt66
07-07-2009, 09:11 PM

he is screwing with you. Look at his equipment list.

punt66
07-07-2009, 09:12 PM
Piece of advice. Carefull who you mouth off too because were the ones to give you SOUND advice.

Jpeg lawn maintenance
07-07-2009, 09:14 PM
Piece of advice. Carefull who you mouth off too because were the ones to give you SOUND advice.

I am not mouthing off at all i am asking you to simply be nice if thats a problem i am sure the moderators will oversee the issue

punt66
07-07-2009, 09:16 PM
I am not mouthing off at all i am asking you to simply be nice if thats a problem i am sure the moderators will oversee the issue

oh ok, so one cant laugh at a jokester on any of your threads? :rolleyes:

93Chevy
07-07-2009, 09:24 PM
i am around sewickley moon ambridge but i live in sewickley how bout you chevy

Lower Butler country. Mars, to be exact, just a few miles from Cranberry. I know most of the roads in Northern Allegheny county like the back of my hand though.

Good luck with the rest of your season!

93Chevy
07-07-2009, 09:25 PM

Seriously?

Wow.

Jpeg lawn maintenance
07-07-2009, 09:36 PM
Lower Butler country. Mars, to be exact, just a few miles from Cranberry. I know most of the roads in Northern Allegheny county like the back of my hand though.

Good luck with the rest of your season!

you have any lawns in mars or cran ?

93Chevy
07-07-2009, 09:39 PM
5 in Mars, 1 in Gibsonia.

1 monthly hedge trimming gig in Troy Hill.

Plus any install jobs I can get my hands on.

I'm only a part timer; I have a fulltime job with a local LCO. Trying to learn the business before I go fulltime.

Jpeg lawn maintenance
07-07-2009, 09:56 PM
5 in Mars, 1 in Gibsonia.

1 monthly hedge trimming gig in Troy Hill.

Plus any install jobs I can get my hands on.

I'm only a part timer; I have a fulltime job with a local LCO. Trying to learn the business before I go fulltime.

oh cool i would like to get some lawns in mars anyways good luck to you this season maybe we run into one another some day

93Chevy
07-07-2009, 09:58 PM
I'm not taking anymore on this year, so if I get any new offers of business, I'll let you know.

Ultimately, I'll leave the decision up to you, but I'd like to help you out if I could.

Jpeg lawn maintenance
07-07-2009, 10:07 PM
I'm not taking anymore on this year, so if I get any new offers of business, I'll let you know.

Ultimately, I'll leave the decision up to you, but I'd like to help you out if I could.

thanks alot man i mean i am 18 almost 19 still trying to get my feet off the ground if u ever decide doing 2 jobs is to much i would love to pick the lawns up and thanks alot

93Chevy
07-07-2009, 10:12 PM
thanks alot man i mean i am 18 almost 19 still trying to get my feet off the ground if u ever decide doing 2 jobs is to much i would love to pick the lawns up and thanks alot

I don't know your experience, but if you come across any install jobs or plantings that you don't know how to tackle, let me know. I'm not saying I have years and years of experience, but I worked with a designer last year at a garden center and learned a lot. I know what kind of jobs I can handle, if it's too big, I'll throw it out.

But like I said, if I come across any more maintenance accounts that I can't handle, I'll let you know. Look forward to doing business with you. :waving:

Triple L
07-07-2009, 10:27 PM
Dont give your shirts to friends..... The last thing you need is some monkey running around after he's had a few lookin like an idiot with your name on his back LOL

Loose the magnets to, if your gonna letter your truck letter it for real, Magnets look mad stupid cheap, maby just put your name on smaller if its also your personal truck.... Heck i havent lettered any of my trucks yet and im not hurting for work, and im only 20 :drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup:

Jpeg lawn maintenance
07-07-2009, 11:01 PM
Dont give your shirts to friends..... The last thing you need is some monkey running around after he's had a few lookin like an idiot with your name on his back LOL

Loose the magnets to, if your gonna letter your truck letter it for real, Magnets look mad stupid cheap, maby just put your name on smaller if its also your personal truck.... Heck i havent lettered any of my trucks yet and im not hurting for work, and im only 20 :drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup:

thnaks alot and that helps alot ha and about the shirts good point ha that wouls suck and i gotta stick with the megnet cuz its my personel truck so i dont wanna letter it up ya know what i mean how many accounts do you have

AGM Inc.
07-14-2009, 09:11 PM
hey buddy i just wanna wish u the best of luck. Im at about the same position with 16 accounts and tons of side jobs. The way i did it was went door 2 door everyday until i got the job

Jpeg lawn maintenance
07-14-2009, 09:21 PM
hey buddy i just wanna wish u the best of luck. Im at about the same position with 16 accounts and tons of side jobs. The way i did it was went door 2 door everyday until i got the job
thanks i wish best to you to next year about febuary march gonna hit the door hangers hard and try to pick up about 30 or 40 lawns i hope some word of mouth helps to but this my first year acutally fully in buisness so i think it will all work out good luck to you to

Lawn Care by Cody
07-16-2009, 11:54 PM
hey im 17 hbu?...where are you located in pittsburgh... im on the north side and in brighton heights and bellevue

Jpeg lawn maintenance
07-17-2009, 12:50 AM
hey im 17 hbu?...where are you located in pittsburgh... Im on the north side and in brighton heights and bellevue

ya i am close to bellvue have a 2 lawns there

crea990
07-23-2009, 12:31 AM

Well put, I read a ton here, keep my mouth shut and appreciate all the free advice.
*trucewhiteflag*

Dieselnut
07-23-2009, 09:18 PM
I hope you have great success with your business