PDA

View Full Version : Whats wrong with this tree ????

DC & Sons
07-02-2009, 08:49 PM
Can someone please tell me some details on what is going on here with this tree. It split after after about a year from being installed. Should I take it down and start over? And does anyone know what type of tree it is?

Thank you

IRRITECH
07-02-2009, 09:01 PM
Looks like a red maple and I would gues freeze damage. Whatever it is, it's time to get a new tree.

RedSquareLandscaping
07-03-2009, 12:47 PM
Yeah IRRITECH is wright. Freese Damge is the answer. Cut it down and get a new one. Next time buy a tarp to cover it

Think Green
07-03-2009, 05:04 PM
That maple has sustained major frost cracking and overexposure to excessive winds and or drought damage to the trunk. Do you have a water system where the head showers the trunk area of that tree? The excess water and heat can cause the tree to crack and the insect like ants--borer's--and termites will invade. Overwatering of the maple can cause excessive trunk crack and overfertilizing. I have seen where damage from planting causes a canker---if left unattended, the rains and cold weather get into the wound and it starts rather quickly to destroy the xylem and phloem of the tree for the insects to attack.
At present time, the tree is suseptible to wind damage and toppling. It may look fine and perky now, but at any time, anything can cause it to suddenly die!
Remove it and get a new one...........Keep moisure away from the trunk if possible or try another species of tree.
My property has 6 silver maples on the lawn. We purchased the house this way as the trees are all 10-12 years old and they all have severe cracks and callused wounds. The winters here are brutal with fluctuant temperature.

mdlwn1
07-03-2009, 06:58 PM
Funny...very funny. A red maple? LMFAO The trunk inside is completely dead...only the outer layer is alive. If this tree is only 2 years old, it was like this the day it was planted.

mdlwn1
07-03-2009, 07:00 PM
Freeze damage...lol those north carolina winters are just brutal.

SfTD_service_CENTER
07-03-2009, 07:17 PM
no i know whats wrong a bum lives inside it! you just gotta tell him he needs to move to another tree!

Think Green
07-03-2009, 08:26 PM
mdlwn1,
NC does recieve some frost temperatures as well as some slight freezing--I have relatives over there.
I agree with this tree not being a red maple...........sorry Irritech! This species of Acer is more ornamental but can't depict the original name. There are too many to single out!!?
Correct, the core--hearwood is dead---it is in all trees. The lateral rays that are located within the heartwood are there for nutrient storage and strength. The only true living portions of the tree are the bark,cambium,xylem and the phloem. A tree grows with in the first 3 layers of these linings, and branches shoot out from bracts located within the heartwood. The feeder roots, lateral roots, and tap roots are living underground and they are related to the living tissue within the outer linings..
I am with you as far as the tree being planted for 1 year and this much damage caused. However, basal cankers, blister, sun scald, line trimmer damage, is mostly responsible for these damages of maples. Typically planting damage or a neglected tree from the nursery is responsible. If I saw this tree being planted on my job site from another landscaper, they would have taken it back immediately and the owner contacted for an ass chewing. There is no real logical way for that tree to have been planted on that site for one year and that much damage caused. The tree was sick to begin with and it is going to die for sure. IF NOT NOW---Could be a couple of years.

Now, Since I am the only sane responding person other than Irritech, does anyone else with any sort of Arboricultural background feel they need to respond? I did speak in behalf of my memory and not by some textbook on the parts of the trunk and roots of a tree.

DC&Sons,
Did you by chance chain a dog up to this tree, or do you have children that felt it cute to hack or cut into the living tissue of this tree.??
Once that Cambium layer was severed, a host of diseases and insects were welcomed to the feast of this nice MAPLE tree!!

IRRITECH
07-03-2009, 10:17 PM
Get a close up of the leaves and I'll bet that it is an Acer rubrum. Bark does not appear to be damaged at the bottom . Still looks like freeze damage to me. Could have been planted that way , looks like a standard clear cut subdivision where they are required to install ine tree per yard. Around here that means the cheapest plant you can get, damaged or not.

DC & Sons
07-03-2009, 10:25 PM
Thanks for info guys. When it was planted it was fine. It happened after the first season, and yes probably a cheap tree. :usflag:

DC & Sons
07-03-2009, 10:29 PM
Thank you for the detailed answers. And as for your questions, no dogs chained up to it or kids doing anything to it.

mdlwn1,
NC does recieve some frost temperatures as well as some slight freezing--I have relatives over there.
I agree with this tree not being a red maple...........sorry Irritech! This species of Acer is more ornamental but can't depict the original name. There are too many to single out!!?
Correct, the core--hearwood is dead---it is in all trees. The lateral rays that are located within the heartwood are there for nutrient storage and strength. The only true living portions of the tree are the bark,cambium,xylem and the phloem. A tree grows with in the first 3 layers of these linings, and branches shoot out from bracts located within the heartwood. The feeder roots, lateral roots, and tap roots are living underground and they are related to the living tissue within the outer linings..
I am with you as far as the tree being planted for 1 year and this much damage caused. However, basal cankers, blister, sun scald, line trimmer damage, is mostly responsible for these damages of maples. Typically planting damage or a neglected tree from the nursery is responsible. If I saw this tree being planted on my job site from another landscaper, they would have taken it back immediately and the owner contacted for an ass chewing. There is no real logical way for that tree to have been planted on that site for one year and that much damage caused. The tree was sick to begin with and it is going to die for sure. IF NOT NOW---Could be a couple of years.

Now, Since I am the only sane responding person other than Irritech, does anyone else with any sort of Arboricultural background feel they need to respond? I did speak in behalf of my memory and not by some textbook on the parts of the trunk and roots of a tree.

DC&Sons,
Did you by chance chain a dog up to this tree, or do you have children that felt it cute to hack or cut into the living tissue of this tree.??
Once that Cambium layer was severed, a host of diseases and insects were welcomed to the feast of this nice MAPLE tree!!

openbook
07-03-2009, 10:50 PM
This tree had to have been planted that way. When I look at that pic to the right of all that dead you can see that nice round looking bark, that's where it has been trying to heal itself and I don't think it can grow that much new bark in a year. I'm really surprised that none of the branches have died back any, the top portion of the tree looks to still be healthy.

Think Green
07-03-2009, 10:57 PM
Irritech,
The foliage is green! The undersides of Acer Rubrum are pale and pinkish. I can see the top foliage of the tree in the fore and back ground, and it is all green.. LOL!!! The flash makes the foliage even more lighter green!!!!! Come on my Brother!!
The Acer Rubrum Palmatun and Acer Rubrun Serratum are two diff. trees yet are red.
I had 4 Acer Rubrum Serratum's at my old house and they were beautiful, and after 9 years and 12' tall, we sold the house. I wish I could have made more profit on the house to have had the things moved to the new house.!!!! Those things that size here are running around 1300.00 each,, at the nursery. To have them extracted and redug, would cost around 2,000.00. They are what sold the house for me!!! The sad thing is.......the Ice Storm we had here in January beat them down!!!!!--Makes me sick!!

Think Green
07-03-2009, 11:07 PM
Openbook,
Good observation! Acers are slow to callus up and does within a couple of years as they are softtissued--semi ringporoused woods. They are quicker to callus and compartmentalize damage quicker than Quercus--Juglans--Malus. Under great health and or watering, Acers will callus quickly until the insect vectors invade and or cankers. This tree has been hit with the same conditions for a while and it is dying a slow death.....The Acer is succeptible to canker--black spot--root rot--frost injury--nematodes in my area. This tree shouldn't be any different in NC.

clean_cut
07-03-2009, 11:19 PM
I agree with "Think Green" in reply tomdlwn1's post(On page 1) , I ive in NC, and it's in the twenties/teens all the time during the winter. We got a crazy snow this year, it was like 3" deep, thats a big snow around here, we were out of school for like 3 days, haha.

It actually got down to 9 deg. or so for one or two nights this winter, can you guess where I was sleeping that night? Out side in a tent of course!!! I don't think it got below 20 in the tent though, maybe I should have left the doors open? Huh.

Those were also the days that I was trying to drive big staples in the ground to keep irrigation tubing togeather. I soon found out that frozen ground is harder than a metal staple, and much harder than the palm of my hand that was pusing the staples in. Well theres a first time for everything, lol.

THC
07-04-2009, 01:35 AM
I live in Manitoba and we have very cold, very long winters with less then 8 hours of sun each day. We also have red maples, I think they are called red maples. They flower in the spring then the leaves start turning dark red? I don't like the trees myself but I haven't seen any with this frost damage. All our trees freeze solid for 5 months of the year. I'm talking from -15C to -35C.

SfTD_service_CENTER
07-04-2009, 03:46 AM
i think your smoking your name! -50f is crazy

Kiril
07-04-2009, 01:07 PM
.......... Sunburn

RedSquareLandscaping
07-04-2009, 10:48 PM
Cut it! I thnk you should get a new one

openbook
07-05-2009, 10:51 AM
i think your smoking your name! -50f is crazy

I don't think he should post anymore, he's at 420 right now:laugh:

Think Green
07-07-2009, 08:32 PM
DC&Sons,
Whatever is killing this Acer, it isn't good for the curbappeal of the house.
I want to lighten the mood a little in reference to my comments to Irritech about this tree not being a true red maple.
I was being a little pushy with the fact of this tree being Quote-A RED MAPLE!
Down here, most customers are buying the Crimson--which has excellent red foliage in the fall and the growing season. The other majority are buying the Japanese red maples of both leaf ranges. The varieties of the Summer Red--Crimson King--Scarlet Red--Autumn Blaze--October Glory, etc. the list is ongoing. Even though these trees, do in fact, have green leaves makes them a true red maple. The big difference is their red appearance during the fall season. Unlike most common maples, the foliage is yellow during the fall, yet these other maples are of the hybrid species and are grown this for their fall brilliant colors.
I wanted to clear this up publically, as I didn't get the response of the true meaning of the red maple. In our transitional zone, maples are subject to alot of these damaging factors because of the weather differences and the intense heat.
I hope you will find another tree or trees to replace the ones that are damaged.

Good Luck!

RedSquareLandscaping
07-07-2009, 08:32 PM
who shouldnt post?
whats 50f

RedSquareLandscaping
07-07-2009, 08:46 PM
probably Tru