PDA

View Full Version : FreeHAND 1.75G---- looking for some firsthand reviews

grassman177
07-03-2009, 12:41 PM
i saw an ad for this new chemistry pre emergent for landscapes and was looking online at the label and was impressed withthe controlled weeds. it included yellow nutsedge of all things at the medium rate!!!!

i am very interested in this for next year and am getting pricing on monday, but want to know if any of you have used this or know anymore about it? we currently use Snapshot with decent results, but nutsedge is a huge problem and you can see the interest here. thanks everyone!

EA Quinn
07-03-2009, 02:26 PM
We used strictly freehand this year. So far the results have been excellent. The best part is, that it's a better product, and about $20.00 a bag cheaper than snapshot!

grassman177
07-03-2009, 08:34 PM
that is very good to hear. thanks very much for the reply. any others used it and specifically how does it do on nutsedge where previously was a problem?

Jason Rose
07-03-2009, 11:50 PM
I think that's the same product I saw at JDL/Lesco a few weeks ago. He had just got it in and it cought my eye. The sales guy also mentioned about the nutsedge control... He didn't say it was cheap though... I thought he said it was pretty pricey compared to snapshot. But I may be way off as I'm just going by what I think I remember about something that happened a few weeks ago, lol.

grassman177
07-04-2009, 03:36 AM
much more than snapshot and i will have to charge more for the service, but similar or cheaper and i am very interested in this. pendi is great on shallow rooted to medium rooted pre -emergemnce control. can injure turf roots if slightly over applied, great for the landscape though for this reason, whatout for the perrenials though i would think with the higher rates. any more feedback ?

grassman177
07-07-2009, 08:57 PM
bump.........................

ted putnam
08-21-2009, 01:34 AM
I've had 2-3 calls in the last week for weed control in beds. This is an add-on service that could increase my bottom line nicely if done with the right products to minimize work and maximize profits.. I've been at a loss on how to price it so I called JDL today to price Snapshot as the first step in this process. My rep suggested Freehand. He said it was comparable in price to Snapshot and I believe he said it would cover 10-15k/50lb bag depending on rates. He said he's been hearing good things from the guys using it so it looks like it will probably be in my arsenal next year if everything shakes out.

jbturf
08-21-2009, 10:00 PM
just looked it up on jdl/lesco web,
it has pendi in it as well as dimethenamid-p
$93/bag

middle rate of 3.4 lbs/k for nutsedge and others
not sure on bag 37.5 or 50 lbs

ted putnam
08-22-2009, 12:22 AM
I don't know if I'd totally trust that price on the website. It'd be best to call for a quote from your Rep. Those web prices have been known to cause sticker shock that in some cases can lead to heart attack!:laugh:

grassman177
08-22-2009, 07:38 PM
nice to see this thread brought back to life. so far my rep at helena has never heard of freehand as i have asked. is there any more comments on the efectivness of this product especially the nutsedge thing as it has begun to really take hold in some landscapes and i end up just pulling that dang stuff as it always seems to want to grown IN the bushes. thanks

grassman177
10-09-2009, 07:42 PM
still looking for info from anyone that has used this and priced it as well compared to snapshot. i have seem to loos control with snapshot

most importantly, how did it do for nutsedge!!!!!!!!!!. thanks

grassman177
10-14-2009, 02:26 PM
one more bump, anyone!?

ted putnam
10-14-2009, 09:37 PM
I'd like to know as well. I'm going to give it a whirl this Spring on a handful of landscapes but I really hate to go in "head first" with anything more than a couple comments. My Lesco guys are telling me they have heard good things about it but I don't really want to promote the bed weed control and then end up all but blanket spraying Glyphos all summer on a bunch of landscapes. Too time consuming and potentially hazardous to the ornamentals...I've been told it will pre emerge for yellow nutsedge among other difficult weed varieties. If it does all that I've heard, it should be the "bomb"!

grassman177
10-14-2009, 11:37 PM
that is why i want some more info on it, seems great, but not too much info at this time. someone on here has to have used it.

ted putnam
10-14-2009, 11:49 PM
Grassman, I haven't pulled the label on it yet to read up but from what I'm told it is for all intents and purposes it's a combination of Pre-M and Gallery. I'm not sure if there is any other "ingredient" I have not been made aware of...

greendoctor
10-15-2009, 04:27 AM
No isoxaben in Freehand. It has something much more potent, dimethenamid-P. This herbicide is very broadspectrum and persistent in soil. I know that Gallery does little to grasses and nothing to sedges.

grassman177
10-15-2009, 09:52 AM
correct, i know this, but is the dimethenamid good at sedge prevention??? the other ingredient is pendi right??? that is pretty good, used it in the past

grassman177
12-07-2009, 02:07 AM
ok, update. i have gotten pricing now and it will be effectively up to $.30 cheaper per lb than snapshot. sounds good to me. it does not have as long a list of controlled weads as snapshot but some of them on there i have no control over now, so worth using at least for a while for that reason alone. i am a little disappointed to not find dandelion on the list either. snapshot did ok with that one so i hope that it does not fire up an issue with that. i will have to make sure to really stay up on the round up touch up to make sure until i have a better feel of the control i will get.

greendoctor
12-07-2009, 02:15 AM
correct, i know this, but is the dimethenamid good at sedge prevention??? the other ingredient is pendi right??? that is pretty good, used it in the past

I talked with a BASF rep last March about Freehand and dimethenamid EC(Tower). He told me that yellow nutsedge and kyllinga are controlled by dimethenamid. I do not have lots of yellow nutsedge, but kyllinga is everywhere here. It is especially bad in beds because glyphosate or Sedgehammer do not do much to this weed. There is pendimethalin in Freehand for additional grass control. But according to trials done on some local golf courses, Tower stops goose and crab better than existing herbicides. I am curious as to how much root pruning occurs on bermuda and zoysia. If it is not as bad as a DNA or Dimension, we have a winner.

lukeb-cturf
12-09-2009, 11:34 AM
still looking for info from anyone that has used this and priced it as well compared to snapshot. i have seem to loos control with snapshot

most importantly, how did it do for nutsedge!!!!!!!!!!. thanks
Its a great product much better results than snapshot. It however is an agency product. Which means that you should be purchasing at 82.50/ bag right now. You should be making a killing on this.
Posted via Mobile Device

grassman177
12-09-2009, 12:18 PM
i dont make out too bad, but i am gong to have to add another treatment i think to make sure . lubeb, did you have issues with dandelions as it is not labeled or do you also use another product to helo for those. i was going to look into using both snapshot for 1 app and freehand for two apps. not sure how that would be as far as toxicity and all for the plants etc.

i was thinking of straight adding another treatment to my program as i think honestly it would be best for control reasons. i 4 visits as is, with first two wsa using snapshot and roundup in 6 week intervals, and then two touch ups the rest of the year at half price.

it has been this way for along time and i am unsure how to go about raising the price etc since i did have some breakthrough issues at a couple of sites ths year causing concern by the client. that is why i def going to change the mode of action without a doubt.

any more thoughts on that

SOONER GREEN
12-10-2009, 12:07 PM
I haven't used Freehand yet, the cost is fairly high but I hear good things about it. A good mix that we use for control in beds is Pennant Magnum and Evade.
Pennant will get the nutsedge and other grasses, and Evade will cover the rest.

Pennant...$187.00/gal rate of qt/acre = $47.00/acre
Evade...$130.00/gal rate of 1 1/2 pt/acre =$25.00/acre
Total of $72.00 per acre as opposed to $82.50 for 14,700 for Freehand.

Has to be sprayed, and watered in and can have some phyto on tender plants if you go over the top.

grassman177
12-10-2009, 12:16 PM
i dont really have a great way to spray in landscape beds, how do you do it, with what equipment?? i mean, i have backpacks but that would take more time to refill unless i had a nurse tank or sorts. please more details on you app methods for the liquid apps you mentioned

i am always interested in new things to get better results, by the way, freehand is cheaper than the snapshot i have been using so i woul fair better no matter what in that situation.

greendoctor
12-10-2009, 12:57 PM
Because I have to treat an equal, if not greater area of landscape beds vs turf, my engine drive backpacks are a key piece of equipment. It can take me as little as 5 minutes to cover a 1000 sq ft of bed applying a directed spray under shrubs and hedges in a bed. An AI110 nozzle is fitted to a pressure regulated wand and the solution is applied at a constant 40 PSI. The engine drive sprayers have return agitation back into the tank and stainless steel valve assemblies in the duplex piston pumps. Almost like a miniaturized John Bean pump. Gritty chemicals like prodiamine, Gallery, Ronstar and Surflan do not bother the pump at all because there are no flimsy rubber parts in the pump. 200 feet of hose turns into a real pain trying to get around plants without yanking them out of the ground. Those sprayers hold 7 gallons and I can cover 5,000 sq ft at 1.2 gallon per 1000.

grassman177
12-10-2009, 05:38 PM
greendoctor,

curious to the brand of backpack you are using and the range of price in something like that

SOONER GREEN
12-10-2009, 06:54 PM
I spray it at 1 gal/1000 from a spray rig. Then if I have beds that are hard to pull a hose through, I put it in a back pack and it is the same rate. there are commercial beds that are 1/2 acre in size so you have to use a rig, but for residential you normally can cover it with a backpack. I don't have any back packs like greendoctor uses but that would be ideal.

grassman177
12-10-2009, 07:10 PM
thanks, i am weighing options. I would also like to hear more about these backpacks and if anyone is using a nursetank to fill them with( and how big ).

greendoctor
12-11-2009, 02:46 AM
grassman, I use a Solo 433 sprayer. It is available through various online vendors for between $600-800. The wand that comes with the units is not for applying herbicides. I took it off and put on 1/4" stainless steel quick disconnects, which will fit my secondary pressure regulator, then my Teejet wand with the AI tip at the end. http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=243068&highlight=solo+433 Both the boom and the spray guns will interchange between my B&G hand can, the Solo 433 and the end of my skid sprayer hose. I only like my skid on lawns that have no obstacles. Otherwise, for the tight areas I most frequently treat, the Solo is a winner. I can fill from the skid and do so if there is no water on site. However, in Hawaii, the regulatory agency does not like transportation of large quantities of mixes on public roads. Nor do they like central fill locations. What is approved and permitted is filling on the lawn with an air gap. In my case, that means I mix in a 5 gallon pail for the backpacks. My fill hose may be connected to the water supply, however it is never within 2 inches of the top of the pail. I normally carry only water in the skid. Never some kind of premixed cocktail that I might not be able to use up before it goes flat.

grassman177
12-11-2009, 11:12 AM
thanks for the link, that thing is high dollar, i am sure i cant afford that for the beds i do. but it is ideal.

by the way, your regs suck, it just makes everything take longer and cost more for service to constantly have to mix.. maybe that is better for you though as i think you posted once on how you specialty mix each lawn to its needs.

greendoctor
12-11-2009, 12:05 PM
I would need a truck the size of a moving van with maybe 15 different tanks holding premixes if the regs were the other way around. The other rule that is good concerns washing out of spray equipment. If that is going to be done, it is done on the labeled application site. So, if I am done with a lawn and need to use something different, water is run through and discharged onto the lawn. No transportation or storage of hazardous materials. I do specialty mix for each property. I think only in Hawaii can one lawn be so different from the next. It isn't all cool season mixes or all bermuda. Soils are different as well. Not catering to those differences will set you up for failure or worse, a dead lawn.

greendoctor
12-11-2009, 12:13 PM
The Solo 433 is one of the reasons why I am able to charge a premium for my services. The levels of weed control I am able to achieve given the difficult circumstances sets me apart. Otherwise, I would be in the same mode as the other "landscapers" in town. Their weed control in beds is limited to Snapshot, Ronstar and spot spraying with RoundUp. It is amazing how little RoundUp I use in a year. I think I paid for the Solo 433 in less than a month of operation.

ted putnam
02-10-2010, 12:49 AM
I haven't used Freehand yet, the cost is fairly high but I hear good things about it. A good mix that we use for control in beds is Pennant Magnum and Evade.
Pennant will get the nutsedge and other grasses, and Evade will cover the rest.

Pennant...$187.00/gal rate of qt/acre = $47.00/acre
Evade...$130.00/gal rate of 1 1/2 pt/acre =$25.00/acre
Total of $72.00 per acre as opposed to $82.50 for 14,700 for Freehand.

Has to be sprayed, and watered in and can have some phyto on tender plants if you go over the top.

I picked up enough Freehand to give me a good start on first apps of pre emergent to beds for $59/37.5 lb bag. I haven't read the label yet but my rep was saying na little over 16k coverage. I'll see how it does

grassman177
02-10-2010, 02:33 AM
yup, we are getting our first shipment in 2 weeks. i know it is not as broad spectrum as snapshot, but i was losing control anyways on some things that may be better with freehand, and it will be more than worth it for control of nutsedge if it works, as i have serious issues with this crap

Young Bros
02-10-2010, 11:39 AM
At other companies I worked at they did not have good luck with pre-m in the beds. A customer of ours put some down and we can't get grass to grow where it washed into the lawn. At Young Bros we offer a 3 step landscape program. We mix up round up pro & surge in our shurflo backpacks. It's easy, fast, and works good.

grassman177
02-10-2010, 01:24 PM
all the liquid apps sound great, untill you see that most landscapes here are full and you cant get the ground through all the shrubs, so it does no good for us. a granular is the best option, and if it would work on the nutsedge would be good as it seems most of it grows right in the shrubs which is very time consuming and difficult to try and remove.

ted putnam
02-10-2010, 02:07 PM
all the liquid apps sound great, untill you see that most landscapes here are full and you cant get the ground through all the shrubs, so it does no good for us. a granular is the best option, and if it would work on the nutsedge would be good as it seems most of it grows right in the shrubs which is very time consuming and difficult to try and remove.

I was thinking the same thing grassman. Also, I can cover ornamental beds much quicker with a handheld spreader than I can with liquid whether it is from a large tank or a backpack. Initially, I'll have to go over the beds with a backpack to get what is already there but after that it should be a breeze. At least, that is what I'm hoping.

grassman177
02-10-2010, 02:46 PM
it is, unless you have alot of weeds. snapshot was by far the best on the really bad locals especially once control was achieved with post on existing weeds. but like i said, some things were not controlled any longer and i am having a huge nutesdge issue. that may be the biggest reason to try it, it sure is not all that much cheaper or anything.

the scotts $10 hand spreaders from walmart with the wrist support are the bst thing i can find to apply these granules. and if it breaks, they are cheap.

remember one thing, wear a dust mask if the label requires one or not, you will be glad you did. a mouth full of the dusty granules is never a good thing(from experience)

CHARLES CUE
08-12-2010, 09:54 PM
Well guys we are most of the way threw the 2010 season nutsedge is out in full force how did Freehand work on sedge and other weeds.

Charles Cue

grassman177
08-12-2010, 10:25 PM
Thanks for reviving an interest in my thread CUE.

teh freehand did awesome , had very little breakthough of nutsedge, and most weeds are still at bay as well. even the ones that were really bad had very little breakthough at all. as i thought, some of the other weeds that were getting resistant to the snapshot after so many years were actually controlled with Freehand.

i am impressed and will be using this product for at least a few more years. hey, and it was cheaper tooo!!!!!!!!

fl-landscapes
08-13-2010, 09:36 PM

I have a Votex granular spreader with 8 ft hose and it is perfect for spreading pre-m granulars in beds. I use snapshot. If you havent looked into vortex you might want too they are great. Use it for granular fert in beds as well, got tired of chicken feeding and hand spreaders. Sounds like you may not be using snapshot now however.

gregory
08-13-2010, 10:39 PM
fl do you have a link?

grassman177
08-13-2010, 10:49 PM
yeha, link. the freehand is the same formulation as snapshot so the hand spreader scotts style is what i use, and a backpack of round up concoction.

grassman177
08-13-2010, 10:56 PM
http://www.vortexspreader.com/

intersting take on application. i think a bit much for what i am doing, but if the service grows alot more a consideration.

Florida Gardener
08-14-2010, 08:04 AM
I have been using Sureguard for the past 2 months and have been very happy with the results. Sedge hasn't been much of an issue for me in beds. I have one customer that has 2 small sections that need to be controlled every year but i just hand pull as it isn't much. The Sureguard has such a broad range of control plus you can mix with Gly and kill 2 birds with 1 stone.....

grassman177
08-14-2010, 08:20 AM
thing is, our landscapes are tight and full, so apps are done over the top of shrubs where a liquid app is not applicable. we use granular, and they backpack any gly.

fl-landscapes
08-14-2010, 08:46 AM
fl do you have a link?

sorry guys, I went to bed after I made my post last night. Looks like grassman got the link. Really is a great tool. They sell them at JDL thats where I got mine

JDUtah
08-14-2010, 08:18 PM
I haven't used the spreader but will speak for the company. I bought the vibration kit from them. I wasn't sure if it would fit and asked them. They were not sure either. They were willing to ship me the product without charging, let me try it and then bill me if it fit. Pretty cool if you ask me. BTW it fit, and does a good job.

grassman177
08-15-2010, 12:54 AM
is that to prevent clumps and caking? did not look at it to know about it

Landgreen
04-15-2011, 07:26 AM
I read freehand can damage black-eyed susans. Anyone experience this? I'll be applying freehand to a largeproperty soon and they are in several areas.
Posted via Mobile Device

grassman177
04-15-2011, 09:20 PM
Have not noticed this at all
Posted via Mobile Device

Landgreen
04-16-2011, 04:04 PM
Ok. Well going to avoid them anyway just to be on the safe side.

Looking forward to using this product. Years past we have only used treflan so having some higher expectations. I'm hoping I can offset the extra cost by reducing hand weeding.

grassman177
04-17-2011, 08:57 AM
it should be alot better, treflan is weak alone. mixed with isoxoban is much better.

we have had better results with this than snapshot as the weeds that were giving use issues(nutsedge ) are controlled with freehand and no others. there are more that i cant remember, but we are getting better control of them as well, and they are on both labels

Landgreen
07-13-2011, 05:28 PM
Well so far so good. Weeds are reduced greatly this season. Only having to handpull grasses and the occasional dandelion.

Anyone apply a second ap during the season? The property manager requests a second ap of pre-em to beds so we are going to hit it again tomorrow. The rate will fall under the maximum allowed per year which is 400# /acre I believe.

Thought of waiting until late fall for the second ap to control the winter annuals but not sure of efficacy. Waiting for a response from the rep.

pieperlc
07-13-2011, 08:37 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

pieperlc
07-13-2011, 10:31 PM
How does freehand do on dandelions?
Posted via Mobile Device

grassman177
07-13-2011, 11:10 PM
I dont recall them even on the label, but either way not that great
Posted via Mobile Device

Landgreen
08-07-2011, 11:25 PM
There are a couple areas of blackeyed susans that I accidently applied to in the spring before they were up. They came up but some didnt bloom and they look terrible. Im fairly sure this is from freehand. Other clusters of blackeyed susans look fine right now. Im hoping that its not long term damage and will only last a season. :(
Posted via Mobile Device

grassman177
08-07-2011, 11:34 PM
I have not had any issues like that, unless over applied
Posted via Mobile Device

olcllc
08-08-2011, 11:42 AM
i saw an ad for this new chemistry pre emergent for landscapes and was looking online at the label and was impressed withthe controlled weeds. it included yellow nutsedge of all things at the medium rate!!!!

i am very interested in this for next year and am getting pricing on monday, but want to know if any of you have used this or know anymore about it? we currently use Snapshot with decent results, but nutsedge is a huge problem and you can see the interest here. thanks everyone!

I have used Freehand exclusively for the the last two years and have had no issues. You will get occasional breakthrough but nothing major.

This year with the extremely dry conditions I did get purslane and goose-grass come through a bit but over all will continue to use it.

I use an old preen shaker bottle to apply to plant beds.

I purchase through BWI for $89/50lb.

grassman177
08-08-2011, 12:12 PM
yeah, this year the control was not that great, much less rain and ground cracking and heat have destroyed the chemical it is obvoius. but, will continue to use it as it does a nice job on the weeds i have to battle