PDA

View Full Version : This was the first for me...

red12
07-03-2009, 05:08 PM
Well my wife cousin is out of town and wanted me to cut there grass so it wasnt so long. So I get into the subdivision and I see these to guys cutting grass at the beginning of the sub they was just finishing up and every thing. Get out of the truck start trimming and they go out of there way to check me out and see who I am I just thought that was kinda weird like I was taking there work away from them or something. Im shere you all have had this happen it was just the first for me.

lawnfreak09
07-03-2009, 06:09 PM
If i see somone i dont know i will go and check them out. i just like to know who is doing work in my area. But one thing i never could figure out was why people will give you dirty looks. Like they HATE YOU because you are in the industry to. Never got into that. I just like to be in the know.

White Gardens
07-03-2009, 06:34 PM
I just don't care.

As soon as I start worrying about the other guys, then my work starts to suffer. So when people look at me, I just don't care.

N&CLandscaping
07-03-2009, 06:36 PM
Ummmmmmmm.... Okay? Not that weird

mdlwn1
07-03-2009, 06:37 PM
Is a wife cousin similar to a babymama?

Jason Rose
07-03-2009, 06:58 PM
I thought having a "wife cousin" was more of an Arkansas thing...

I always check out the competition as I'm working near them. I'm always curious as to what machines they use, what condition they keep things in. How good of a job they are doing. I always welcome others do check me out too. I keep a nice rig, everything neet and orginized, and everything I have is thought out. I do damn good work too. So if they want to look, I just hope they are jealous, lol.

VirginiaLawnCare
07-04-2009, 03:46 PM
I had something like that happen to me yesterday i was just out cutting and I look over and there is another lawn service sitting in front of the house next to the one I am cutting. At first i thought they were going to give the neighbor a estimate but there were staring directly at me they sat there for like 5min then drove by me going really slow. Was really weird. I don't know if they were trying to get tips or something because all they had was a 4x8 trailer with two push mowers and i had my 16ft trailer with two walk behinds and my z mower and all stihl stuff. It was just a little weird to me.

grandview (2006)
07-04-2009, 03:50 PM
Wave and say how you doing!:waving:

LSU_LAWNBOY
07-06-2009, 02:33 AM
i usually just wave at them, or avoid them
their jealousy actually makes me work better and quicker.
they were staring b/c u obviosly were doing better than they were,haha

yardmanlee
07-06-2009, 06:45 AM
I try to be as friendly as possible, but it seems alot have a chip on their shoulder or something, I even network w/ 3 to 4 lco's in our area

AI Inc
07-06-2009, 07:12 AM

Now thats funny!

ohiogreenworks
07-06-2009, 09:37 AM
Yeah, we usually just wave and respect the fact that they are in the same industry etc. We also network with a few guys around here.

bigmudder77
07-06-2009, 10:53 AM
well depending on how many houses were in the lot and if they do alot of work there they might of just wanted to check you out to make sure you were not gonna steal any thing

or maybe they wanted to steal some thing and wanted to know what you were doing and when you were leaving so they can grab and go

i dont trust any one cause you never know who wants to steal what and why they want it or at least want to steal it then dump it some where cause they think its a thrill to steal

THC
07-06-2009, 08:07 PM
I always like checking out competition. I'll check out trucks with a pull plow, I'll check out large set ups with multiple Z's, I'll even check out lower end companys that make their guys actually PUSH the mowers while bagging.. lol, poor guys.

I've had a few check me out too and come and talk to me, mostly because I'm about the only person around my city with a 36 toro, I only seen one other in the last 3 years. Most people around here use 21's or john deere tractor mowers, I also see a few Z's.

I really like checking out people's set ups during spring clean up. I also talk to as many of my window and snow customers, who I do not cut their lawn, to find out what the competition is charging and how they charge.

Scag413
07-07-2009, 05:36 PM
Anytime I have the chance and I see someone out mowing that I do not know I always try to stop and introduce myself. Well I only stop and talk to companies not as many individuals. I want people to know who I am and want to know who other people are. I talk to them for a few minutes, try to get a feel for what they charge, I tell them what I usually charge, and then always explain I am not looking to take work away from them that I just want to network and know people if I need help or advice. It is a great thing to know as many people in this industry as possible.

GreenAcresLandscaping
07-07-2009, 05:40 PM

:laugh::laugh::laugh: Now thats funny!

SNAPPER MAN
07-07-2009, 06:43 PM
Here all crews are friendly to each other. We are all just trying to make a living. Also almost every crew here is hispanic so we all get along. The only crews here that seem to not be nice to other crews are the black and white guys. I don't know why but they are, they don't wave and always have a scowl on their face. But for the most part we all get along, usually eat lunch with other crews, etc.

supercuts
07-07-2009, 06:45 PM
i shere would hate to find out my wife is a cousin. maybe thats why they were talking to you. how many lawns do you do there, won or to?

Dave_005
07-07-2009, 07:10 PM
I just don't care.

As soon as I start worrying about the other guys, then my work starts to suffer. So when people look at me, I just don't care.

Same with me. I Absolutely Couldnt care less if some other LCO is looking or checking me out when i come to do a yard. i simply Don't Care what others think, i Don't work for them i work for My Customer Period ! If they want to talk or something i'm fine with that. I like to know the other LCO's working the same area.

punt66
07-07-2009, 07:25 PM
i shere would hate to find out my wife is a cousin. maybe thats why they were talking to you. how many lawns do you do there, won or to?

:laugh::laugh: That was funny

supercuts
07-07-2009, 09:15 PM
:laugh::laugh: That was funny

thanks, i wish that was the 2nd post. i dont usualy read past the first page and wasnt sure if anyone would see it

airsoftamazon
07-07-2009, 10:14 PM
I mind my own business and admire everyone else's, but I don't go out of my way to check them out or make them feel like I'm being nosy. I have all the basics on my trailer that gets the job done and it looks great. I love to sit back and see my work. That way I know I'm doing it right. I do get lots of others checking me out - or my equipment too, but I just ignore them or give them the hand wave over the steering wheel gesture. I guess it's a power trip for them. As far as I'm concerned, I'm getting paid too!

pitrack
07-08-2009, 12:51 AM
I don't care if people stare at me either. I almost take it as a compliment and make the yard look even better. I like to try to wave or at least nod to everyone I see while working, you can never be too nice to potential customers.

I do however like to keep an eye on other lawn guys as they pass by just so we don't have anyone with "sticky fingers".

J & D Greens
07-11-2009, 09:04 PM
I don't care if people stare at me either. I almost take it as a compliment and make the yard look even better. I like to try to wave or at least nod to everyone I see while working, you can never be too nice to potential customers.

I do however like to keep an eye on other lawn guys as they pass by just so we don't have anyone with "sticky fingers".

I feel the same, I have a small rig but what is on it is good equipment. So when the other day as this very large rig stopped next to mine as I was blowing the grass off the walks, I stopped what I was doing, they did not look like they where there to admire anything but what they might be able to grab. When I looked over their way that is when the driver saw me looking his way he decided it was time to go. I do keep everything locked up. But everyone knows the saying, That will only keep honest people honest.

dtelawn
07-11-2009, 11:33 PM
Do not worry about others. I will always look at other operations but never make a pass for it. I always wave and speak to (The competition) I have befriended a couple andgotten work thrown at me because they couldn't get to it. There are a couple guys around here that will give a pissed off look every time I see them. To me it is something kinda like a fraternity for us that we should stick together an make our industry stronger.