PDA

View Full Version : identification help

drobin
07-04-2009, 09:40 AM
what is this lawn issue? We have had a lot of rain here so its not a drought issue for sure, thanks

bug-guy
07-04-2009, 10:56 AM
i'm not to familar with northern turf but my guess would be to look at red thread see below... fert will help

http://plantclinic.cornell.edu/FactSheets/redthread/redthread.htm

Jason Rose
07-04-2009, 11:05 AM
Is that a lawn or a field? Looks like it hasn't seen a mower in weeks and it was mowed at 6+ inches before that.

The brown stalks sticking up look to me like seed head stems that have had the tops cut off. Other than that, it's a horrible stand of grass, all clumps.

drobin
07-04-2009, 11:36 AM
Is that a lawn or a field? Looks like it hasn't seen a mower in weeks and it was mowed at 6+ inches before that.

The brown stalks sticking up look to me like seed head stems that have had the tops cut off. Other than that, it's a horrible stand of grass, all clumps.

It is lawn we have had tremendous rain in ny so lawns Are real long, I have seen red thread but I thought that was in circular patterns and it's not really that red
Posted via Mobile Device

turf hokie
07-04-2009, 11:56 AM
is that a lawn or a field? Looks like it hasn't seen a mower in weeks and it was mowed at 6+ inches before that.

.........+1

Think Green
07-04-2009, 12:43 PM
Second the motion.............call for another ordinance!
Looks like fescue with the tips cut off during seeding.
I have an area of bermuda grass and tall fescue blended with tufted lovegrass.
When it is mowed, not to hurt the tall fescue, the tufted lovegrass will leave tall shards like this!!

???????
Good call!

garydale
07-06-2009, 01:57 PM
The brown stalks are from seed head production as suggested earlier.
Lower blade to cut off stalks then raise it back for next mowing.
The clumpie growth is Tall fescue in need of overseeding this August. IMHO

RigglePLC
07-06-2009, 09:31 PM
Ryegrass seedstalks--do as above.