PDA

View Full Version : My lawn care flyer, what do you think?

clean_cut
07-04-2009, 11:51 AM
I made this lawn care flyer on Powerpoint, but converted it to jepg, tell me what you guys think? Anything I need to change?

I'm thinking about printing of around 10 of these in color, and doing the rest of them in black and white, do you think I should change my entire design for that?

Thanks in advance.

grandview (2006)
07-04-2009, 11:55 AM
I think you need to learn how to proof read first.

Icepuck72
07-04-2009, 11:57 AM
spell check, and I don't know if you really need to put your age in there either.

Florida Gardener
07-04-2009, 12:01 PM
Yes, def need to proof read. I would also take out the fact you are 14. It's great that a youngster is ambitious, but it may turn away people right away from the flyer b/c they make think you are too young.....just my opinion....

bighaydenslawn
07-04-2009, 12:04 PM
I think you need to learn how to proof read first.

Ditto, and might be a bit busy for my taste. Keep your age off and just put your biz name, slogan, services, and number.

astrohip
07-04-2009, 12:15 PM
Jacob... looks like you spent some effort on your flyer. I admire your hard work, and wish you good luck.

A few thoughts:

* I don't like the very top, the orange and green with white letters in the background. It's too busy. Either the white letters or the green letters would be ok, but not both.

* The top left side phrase "14 years old with over four five..." doesn't make sense.

* Near the bottom above your phone # you say " Well mow you yard...". It should be "We'll" with an apostrophe, not "Well".

* I agree with the others about your age. I'm not sure I'd show it either, but OTOH if I hired someone and a 14 yr old showed up, I might be upset. You need a way to show you are a teen, and a hard-working one, without making it too "in-your-face". Maybe mention you are a teen, but not your exact age?

Good luck!

MSlawnBoy
07-04-2009, 12:16 PM
Very nice young man! I admire your work ethic and the desire to build your business.

Let's fix a few things, shall we?

First, I would put you phone number at the top under your co. name.

Top left corner. Remove the part about being 14 years old and correct the part the says four five.......replace with something like..."I have over 4 years of experience mowing in area neighborhoods.

Next.....bottom right.....change Well to We will......double and triple check all of your spelling before getting this printed.

Rock on young tiger!! :cool2:

clean_cut
07-04-2009, 12:23 PM
Jacob... looks like you spent some effort on your flyer. I admire your hard work, and wish you good luck.

A few thoughts:

* I don't like the very top, the orange and green with white letters in the background. It's too busy. Either the white letters or the green letters would be ok, but not both.

* The top left side phrase "14 years old with over four five..." doesn't make sense.

* Near the bottom above your phone # you say " Well mow you yard...". It should be "We'll" with an apostrophe, not "Well".

* I agree with the others about your age. I'm not sure I'd show it either, but OTOH if I hired someone and a 14 yr old showed up, I might be upset. You need a way to show you are a teen, and a hard-working one, without making it too "in-your-face". Maybe mention you are a teen, but not your exact age?

Good luck!

Yeah, this was sorta a rough draft, so I'll proof read and change those things, I completley agree with you though, If they hire me, thinking I'm an adult, and I show up as a kid, I don't think that they would like that much.

I'll try to make it simpler too. Thanks for the replys, I'll try to get a new one up in a sec.

barlowlawncare
07-04-2009, 12:26 PM
except for the errors I like it. I agree you should not have your age just your experience. I dont know what program you used to make it, but I am also in the process of making a brochure for our business and I bought the new microsoft publisher program and it's great! very simple to use and very professional looking! I'm not even half done but here is what i got so far

clean_cut
07-04-2009, 12:33 PM
So how does it look now? I changed the Title to green, but it just looks like too much with the green on the side too. Any other color suggestions?

mowerbrad
07-04-2009, 12:46 PM
It is definately much better than before. But I still see some areas to be improved. The left side of the flyer that lists your services looks too cluttered since you seperated "standard" and "other services". Combine that list into one. I would also suggest trying to shorten the list (not necessarily removing services) but take out "leaf/grass bagging" as that should be implied with the clean-up and mowing parts. Another thing to consider is the fertilizing part, if you are not licensed to apply fert, you might have some problems later on, so if you aren't licensed I would take that off. And finally, take out the part about "pine needles" and just leave "mulch spreading". Other than that I like the new set-up of it better than the first one.

clean_cut
07-04-2009, 12:55 PM
Okay, I can't really combine the list though, since only three of the services are included, the rest are optional, what do you think?

Florida Gardener
07-04-2009, 12:57 PM
how about "An ambitious teenager."

clean_cut
07-04-2009, 01:00 PM
Ok I'll try that it actually sounds pretty good, should I keep "an ambitious young teenager" or "an ambitious teenager"

mowerbrad
07-04-2009, 01:03 PM
Okay, I can't really combine the list though, since only three of the services are included, the rest are optional, what do you think?

I'm not saying that all those services will be included in mowing, but those would be the entire list of your services all in one list. You will have many people who may just want you to come out and do a fall clean-up or trim their hedges.

For example:

Services:
-Mowing
-Spring/Fall clean-up
-Hedge trimming
-Weeding
-Mulch spreading
-Light landscaping
-Aerating

The ONE list would include all of your services for people to choose from. They may not want you to mow but just trim their hedges.

Ramairfreak98ss
07-04-2009, 01:10 PM
yeah whats that mean.

14 years old with over four five? looks ok for the layout at least.. thats all im gonna say

Field King
07-04-2009, 01:27 PM
put "student owned business" not I am 14........

clean_cut
07-04-2009, 01:41 PM
I'm not saying that all those services will be included in mowing, but those would be the entire list of your services all in one list. You will have many people who may just want you to come out and do a fall clean-up or trim their hedges.

For example:

Services:
-Mowing
-Spring/Fall clean-up
-Hedge trimming
-Weeding
-Mulch spreading
-Light landscaping
-Aerating

The ONE list would include all of your services for people to choose from. They may not want you to mow but just trim their hedges.

O.K. To me that makes it sould like I'm more of a one time person, not a person that comes to mow grass every week. Thats just me though.

I see what your saying, they can just look down the list and tell me what services they want, like they may want me to trim and blow weekly, but not mow. They may just want me to blow off their driveway everyweek, but not mow grass and trim. Am I right?

Who else thinks that this is a good idea?

Florida Gardener
07-04-2009, 02:30 PM
I think it's good to just have one list. People will cherrypick what they want from it. imo, go with ambitious teenager. You dont need to be specific and this way, your letting people know your a teen, but not saying well im 13 or 14 years old....the less said the better most of the time.

clean_cut
07-04-2009, 02:54 PM
O.K ill change some stuff and post it up a little later, thanks guys

clean_cut
07-04-2009, 03:08 PM
Ok, heres another copy, what do you think about this one?

If you look at the large font last two bullets on the right side, I ephasize MOW a lot, should I put "do you need someone to service your yard when you go on vacation" something like that or stick with "mow", it just sounds like I'm orienting it more to mowing the yard and not much else.

WVDpoker
07-04-2009, 03:44 PM
They'll figure out how old you are when they meet you for the estimate-then you have to sell them yourself if they have doubts-don't say your age on the flyer, half the trouble is getting people to call. If you leave the teenager thing on you will get older cheapskates looking for a sweet deal. You can go that route, but that will be your selling point.

GreenAcresLandscaping
07-04-2009, 04:36 PM
Keep the part that says you are a teenager. I put that on mine and get calls because of that. I have had people tell me "i was gonna hire someone else but i really would like to support your ambition" As soon as they call they will be able to tell by your voice your not a 35 year old.

Exmarks.The.Spot
07-04-2009, 04:40 PM
how come it says "We'll mow your yard..." Do you have a partner or helper or something? make it says I can mow your yard once a week or just once in a while

ed2hess
07-04-2009, 06:35 PM
Just put the flyer out.......you did a good job on it and it doesn't have to be exact in all aspect.

mowerbrad
07-04-2009, 06:58 PM
I have to say that I like it much better now. I wouldn't really worry about the small details now, that really are just more of a personal preference for some. It looks good, it has all the info it needs, and most importantly it will get you some customers.

LouisianaLawnboy
07-04-2009, 07:18 PM
Put the grass at the bottom.

Puddle of Oil
07-04-2009, 07:56 PM
"over five years of experience" id kill the "of"

topsites
07-04-2009, 08:16 PM
Just put the flyer out.......you did a good job on it and it doesn't have to be exact in all aspect.

I would have to agree with this statement, put it out there, it's good.

WGLandscapeMaintenance
07-04-2009, 09:00 PM
Over four five years of experience?? Is that a new way to say 45 years or something? Be exact with a number.

STIHL GUY
07-04-2009, 09:43 PM
its pretty good. you could get color copies made. thats what i do and its cheaper than printing them from my computer

EVM
07-04-2009, 10:52 PM
Omit the "mow your grass once in a while". People will be calling you out to cut their grass once a month and that is not going to be fun.

clean_cut
07-04-2009, 11:34 PM
"Omit the "mow your grass once in a while". People will be calling you out to cut their grass once a month and that is not going to be fun. "

Yeah, the Idea of this was to get the customer to let me mow it once (when they're on vacation or something), and then see how good it looks, and say, just do it next week too. You get the idea?

Do you guys know how much color copies run?

I've heard about 50c. each. I can get my dad to print off a few at work, he's not suppose to, but I think he will print five or ten for me. I could send those to the most likley customers, and I could get black and white to everyone else.

Thanks guys, you've helped A LOT

LouisianaLawnboy
07-04-2009, 11:51 PM
Check officedepot
Posted via Mobile Device

clean_cut
07-04-2009, 11:54 PM
K, i'll try that, how about Kinkos? Anybody try that?

clean_cut
07-05-2009, 12:02 AM
office deopt online: $59 for 100 color copies, single sided... Wow

LouisianaLawnboy
07-05-2009, 12:05 AM
office deopt online: $59 for 100 color copies, single sided... Wow

Ouch. Try a local print shop.
Posted via Mobile Device

clean_cut
07-05-2009, 12:09 AM
Yeah, what do you guys think about putting a "cupon" on there such as 1/2 price on your first mowing? I think it would get some people interested, what do you guys think?

LouisianaLawnboy
07-05-2009, 12:15 AM
Look at my doorhaner thread.
Posted via Mobile Device

clean_cut
07-05-2009, 04:26 PM
I couldn't find it, do you know the title?

Anybody else think a 1/2 off the first mowing 'cupon' is a good idea?

Grass Happens
07-05-2009, 04:52 PM
If you do the coupon, do something like:"one service 1/2 off after 3 paid services".
That way you don't get canceled after the first service.

WGLandscapeMaintenance
07-05-2009, 05:05 PM
I couldn't find it, do you know the title?

Anybody else think a 1/2 off the first mowing 'coupon' is a good idea?

Fixed your spelling

clean_cut
07-05-2009, 05:12 PM
Yeah, I'm pretty bad at spelin.

So how about after 3 scheduled/paid mowings then 1 mowing is free.

Ryall Landscaping
07-06-2009, 12:12 AM
Yeah, I'm pretty bad at spelin.

So how about after 3 scheduled/paid mowings then 1 mowing is free.

Do it however you please, but keep in mind that if you do use that as an incentive to use your services, that COULD be the only reason they pick you.

In other words, plan ahead and make sure that if you do it the way you said, that you do make a decent profit off of the deal, just in case people only do it for the discount/free service.

The flyer looks fine. Go post some. Color copies are a bit pricey. Quite honestly a B&W should work fine unless you want to spend the extra $$. Go check out an Office Max. Around here they are fairly cheaper than Kinkos/UPS etc.

MowingMowingMowing
07-06-2009, 01:07 AM
First of all, I think it's great your getting ready to be handing out flyers at 14 and people will notice this.

One thing you need to keep in mind is homeowners will receive multiple flyers throughout the year from LCOs, even more this year due to the economy. The goal of your flyer should be to stand out and make the homeowner want to act. Your current setup will work well for the people around your neighborhood as they know you, but when you start going to neighborhoods where nobody knows you this is where your ad has to STAND OUT.

You could offer a coupon, perhaps $10 off of first service. Another thing you could do is offer a free 12 point lawn analysis (this will get you to the homeowner's house, once you get the call the hardest part is over).

Another thing to consider (if you have the time) is to actually knock on the doors and talk to the homeowner. This is where you can actually talk with them, introduce yourself, and give them a more personal approach as opposed to just leaving a flyer. I did this when I was 14 and the older people enjoyed seeing a young person out there working hard and really got me started.

Anyways, good luck and keep us posted as to how it turns out.

clean_cut
07-06-2009, 01:29 PM
Thanks for the great help guys, I'll print them off soon an tell you guys what happens, I also printed off 40 business cards, and put a 1/2 off first mowing coupon on the back. I don't think I will have to worry about anyone taking advantage of me in this neighborhood. Hopefully.

And again, thanks for the help.

clean_cut
07-07-2009, 09:45 PM
Here's the almost Offical Final Copy, the final one will have taler grass at the top. I decided to print it on bright yellow paper and just use b&w toner (gonna print off 20-30 at home). And this is just for a few houses around the neighborhood. Here it is on the yellow paper.

Sorry about the $$ signs, the software is a trial version, :rolleyes:.

LouisianaLawnboy
07-07-2009, 10:21 PM
Put the grass at the bottom.
Posted via Mobile Device

clean_cut
07-07-2009, 10:26 PM
do you think it will really look that much better? What do you other guys think? I'll try it though.

Ryall Landscaping
07-07-2009, 10:30 PM
You misspelled "ambitious"..You gotta proof read before you print it lol.

Personally, I try to not put so much stuff to read on my flyers. IMHO, the less they have to read to get the point, the better. To each their own.

Good luck getting some work to do. It's tough sometimes, especially when you start late like this (I started late too, mid June). I've found that I am getting almost all landscaping jobs (mulching, trimming, etc.) rather than mowing, unfortunately. I'd much prefer some weekly mowing accounts, but only have 1 currently. Oh well.

Edit: I don't think anyone will care if the grass is on the top of bottom, honestly.

clean_cut
07-07-2009, 10:31 PM
WOW, I actually think it looks beter, here it is, remember it will be in black and white, on yellow paper though. How does it look guys?

LouisianaLawnboy
07-07-2009, 10:33 PM
WOW, I actually think it looks beter, here it is, remember it will be in black and white, on yellow paper though. How does it look guys?

Like I thought:) it looks better. I've done some designing b4
Posted via Mobile Device

STL Cuts
07-08-2009, 12:17 AM
Don't forget to fix your spelling on ambitious...

clean_cut
07-08-2009, 07:37 AM
Thanks L.Lawnboy, and thanks STL cuts, how could I miss that spelling??? I was about to print all of them off today too.

Where did you do your desigining LLawnboy? Just for personal use?

LouisianaLawnboy
07-08-2009, 09:24 AM
Thanks L.Lawnboy, and thanks STL cuts, how could I miss that spelling??? I was about to print all of them off today too.

Where did you do your desigining LLawnboy? Just for personal use?

www.southernsilks.com
Posted via Mobile Device

barlowlawncare
07-08-2009, 12:46 PM
I sent you a reply in beginning of this post but you never responded back, I was saying if your looking for a great software program to make your own flyers, brochures, business cards you should check into microsoft publisher, it's cheap and very easy to use and makes very professional looking I would post mine but I cant figure out how to put it on here with out making it a link?

clean_cut
07-08-2009, 02:07 PM
Yeah, we use to have print master, but that was a long time ago. I just used powerpoint and it worked great for me, business cards are a diffrent story though, I had to use program made for 1998 on vista, can you guess how that worked? Not well, it messed up with saving/opening, but everything else worked good.

clean_cut
07-08-2009, 02:10 PM
Thats nice lawnboy, I actually have a maltise-yorki mix, full black, and a toy poodle. The poodle is trainable, but the yorki mix is a whole diffrent story.

benjammin
07-08-2009, 02:14 PM
f microsoft.
http://why.openoffice.org/index.html

clean_cut
07-08-2009, 02:27 PM
Can you work with business cards on open office? What about publisher?

barlowlawncare
07-08-2009, 10:42 PM
Can you work with business cards on open office? What about publisher?

yes on publisher you can do business cards or what ever you want to do you can even set up a web page and it's very user friendly for those of us who are not in the geek squad. I love the program myself I used to sell real estate years ago and used the old version from office 98 I think and it was great for flyers and everything else so when i need to make one for landscape I went out and bought the 2007 version and if you already have office 07 its just a 99.00 upgrade or buy office small business never used the other one mentioned on here but publisher is awesome! check my at the beg of this thread and see what i have so far

benjammin
07-09-2009, 12:44 PM
Can you work with business cards on open office?

Yep, lots of business templates.

http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/project/PimacoTemplates

LouisianaLawnboy
07-09-2009, 07:19 PM
For ur biz cards go to vistaprint.com
Posted via Mobile Device

LouisianaLawnboy
07-09-2009, 07:21 PM
Thats nice lawnboy, I actually have a maltise-yorki mix, full black, and a toy poodle. The poodle is trainable, but the yorki mix is a whole diffrent story.

Thank you.
Posted via Mobile Device

clean_cut
07-09-2009, 07:38 PM
I don't like vista print because you don't get to customize your cards exactly how you want them, and I don't' need 250, or 1000 I only need around 50.

LouisianaLawnboy
07-09-2009, 08:14 PM
U can upload ANY design. The paper for 50 will cost u as much VP 250.
Posted via Mobile Device

Roger
07-09-2009, 09:48 PM
I don't like vista print because you don't get to customize your cards exactly how you want them, and I don't' need 250, or 1000 I only need around 50.

Something is wrong here. If you need only 50, you must be intending a quick "in/out" of the business. 50 business cards should go quickly. So, if only intending to be involved a short time, why is it so important to have a customized card?

I believe it is better to have 100 simple cards in the hands of prospective customers, than five customized cards in the hands of prospective customers.

Also, the 50 card requirement is inconsistent with your interest in distributing fliers for getting new business. I don't know a printer who will only do 50 cards. And, don't print off 50 from your PC on perforated sheets -- they really are cheezy.

clean_cut
07-11-2009, 03:45 PM
Something is wrong here. If you need only 50, you must be intending a quick "in/out" of the business. 50 business cards should go quickly. So, if only intending to be involved a short time, why is it so important to have a customized card?

I believe it is better to have 100 simple cards in the hands of prospective customers, than five customized cards in the hands of prospective customers.

Also, the 50 card requirement is inconsistent with your interest in distributing fliers for getting new business. I don't know a printer who will only do 50 cards. And, don't print off 50 from your PC on perforated sheets -- they really are cheezy.

Oops, too late. I had the sheets laying around and I wanted to use them. Even though I printed them off my computer they sill look pretty good. I only need a few because I can only mow a few lawns around my neighborhood, I don't need 500 if I only have 20 possible customers.

tinman
07-15-2009, 07:20 PM
would not put age . good options there for those who don't want full time service