PDA

View Full Version : Azalea Problems

GravelyGuy
07-04-2009, 02:31 PM
Do you guys know what causes this?

Slcareco
07-04-2009, 06:36 PM
hey take a pic of a close up of the leaves and branches for me and I can better help you out

Smallaxe
07-05-2009, 11:00 AM
Snow damage to the branch is possible that close to a building and sidewalk.
Follow the branch all the way in and there will probably be cracked bark. Or a critter chewing on it.

White Gardens
07-05-2009, 11:56 AM
Ya, I was going to say winter damage too. Around here in Zone 5, we have to plant azalea's in protected areas to keep them alive.

The rest of the bush seems to be thriving, so I would just cut out the bad section sooner than later so it has a chance to fill in some this season.

GravelyGuy
07-05-2009, 12:19 PM
Thanks guys, I just wanted to make sure that it wasn't something that would take out the rest of the plant. I'll give it a very close look the next time I'm there.

Jabootie
07-05-2009, 01:01 PM
Not to hi-jack your thread but I planted azeleas on the east side of my house late this spring. They were blooming when I planted them but soon lost their blooms. I water and acid feed as the nursery instructed. Plants look plenty healthy but no further blooms. Is this normal for a first year transplant? thanks

PerfectEarth
07-05-2009, 09:46 PM
Another tip on azaleas- always try and buy northern-grown, especially in the mid-west and further up. The majority of nurseries stock truckloads of azaleas and rhodos grown in the deep south. They will not perform as well and take hits in the winter.

GravelyGuy
07-06-2009, 12:25 AM
Another tip on azaleas- always try and buy northern-grown, especially in the mid-west and further up. The majority of nurseries stock truckloads of azaleas and rhodos grown in the deep south. They will not perform as well and take hits in the winter.

That's probably why they don't bloom very well around here.

Thanks...

White Gardens
07-06-2009, 01:47 AM
That's probably why they don't bloom very well around here.

Thanks...

Not sure of your zone, but we're zone five.

The Karen Azalea seems to be the best grower for us.

We also have a few rhodos that do well to, but can't remember the names right now.

Smallaxe
07-06-2009, 09:42 AM
Don't know the variety that was planted, but we have one on a property that we care for now. It is on the South side of the house and thrives there. Impressive blooms and healthy foliage.
We are borderline zone 3 and 4. Back in the 70's we were z.3

Isobel
07-14-2009, 11:05 PM
Not to hi-jack your thread but I planted azeleas on the east side of my house late this spring. They were blooming when I planted them but soon lost their blooms. I water and acid feed as the nursery instructed. Plants look plenty healthy but no further blooms. Is this normal for a first year transplant? thanks

Azaleas don't bloom continuously all season long. They have a set bloom time, when that's done, its done for the season. Afterwards they just stay green.