PDA

View Full Version : Sprayer for home use

cinquefoil
07-05-2009, 02:21 AM
Are there any good 2 gallon tank sprayers that are suitable for homeowner use? I have tried a couple over the last few years and they really haven't been too good. They work ok at first, then the spray pattern gets erratic and it seems like I have to fiddle with the nozzle frequently to get it spray properly. I also notice slight air leakage from the top of my current sprayer, which is supposedly an RL Flowmaster commercial quality unit that I bought at Home Depot. It is definitely better than the WalMart variety, but it still leaves a lot to be desired.

I am using it for brush and lawn weed control. Any info or suggestions will be most appreciated. Thanks.

greendoctor
07-05-2009, 02:37 AM
I liked the stainless steel Hudson sprayers. Unfortunately, they became cheap. As in a plastic pump barrel vs brass and a plastic pump handle instead of a steel D handle. Although they are still better than HD or Chinamart stuff.

cinquefoil
07-05-2009, 02:49 AM
I liked the stainless steel Hudson sprayers. Unfortunately, they became cheap. As in a plastic pump barrel vs brass and a plastic pump handle instead of a steel D handle. Although they are still better than HD or Chinamart stuff.

It looks like they have several choices. Which model or line do you suggest? Thanks.

greendoctor
07-05-2009, 03:04 AM
I would say the 67220 2 gallon stainless steel sprayer. That is the most commonly available and reasonably priced. I know that Ace Hardware carries these. I also recommend replacing the standard cone nozzle with the fan nozzle that is available as a spare part.

bug-guy
07-05-2009, 09:22 AM
i think back pack sprayers are much better but not all people can handle it.
i have used some gilmour from jdl and have found them to be good units the sercret is to keep them clean in between uses and the down fall to most sprayers is that people will usaually store them in a hot shed for extended periods of time in between uses and this has adverse effects on the ruber parts

RigglePLC
07-05-2009, 10:49 AM
I have used the one gallon "Spray Doc" sprayers for years, (they are identical to the the green ones Lesco sells (JDL). Store in shed. Reliable and they have a filter built into the handle--the filter is essential--and it must be cleaned after use. Wide mouth container--you can reach inside and clean it easily. I would prefer a clear translucent container, as it is easier to measure the gallons added if the liquid level is visible. Brass adjustable cone nozzle. It has a pressure valve that vents excess pressure and allows you to release the pressure easily. Lube, rinse and clean the moving parts every year.

Think Green
07-05-2009, 05:56 PM
Foil,
I have journeyed these store's in hopes to find such a good sprayer that will last the abuse of everyday use. All of the Chinese made sprayers are just as all has described, plastic--cheap and barely hold up to the pressure.
The thing to consider is the types of pesticides used within the sprayers. Not all sprayers are equipped with Viton or Nitril-Butyl rubber gaskets and o-rings. Pesticides are either degenerative and corrosive to the inner workings of the cheap and common sprayers. You must clean them out after each use to keep them workable for a while.
I have the priviledge of Farm centers where they sell chemical resistant seal and o-rings, which I have to change out for each new sprayer we buy. The equipped nozzles are junk as they can't handle the heat of our area. We have to change them out too!!
In line filters are essential in the handle assembly and inside the nozzle tip to keep sediment out from the tip.
There are companies that sell all brass wands and fittings, it may be in your own area but just not advertised to the general public. The professional line is kept to the professionals. At least around here it is because of the expense of getting a quality sprayer that will hold up.
Gilmore and Hudson, makes a great general use sprayer, but be weary of the hose fittings and nozzle attachments just as explained above. Make sure the supplier carries the replacement parts for order or on their shelves. Every couple of years, the model numbers will change and the availibility becomes obsolete.

greendoctor
07-05-2009, 06:20 PM
Before I got into the business for myself, this is what I used at home.

RigglePLC
07-05-2009, 06:32 PM
Take a look at the Gilmour wide mouth. Lots of good features.
http://www.gilmour.com/Tank-Sprayers/Spray-Tanks/Premium-Wide-Mouth.aspx

Think Green
07-05-2009, 10:44 PM
Greendoctor and Riggle,
That is the same sprayer units that I started out with years ago. The problem is, I don't see that unit much anymore. The local stores don't sell that unit as it does last quite some time and the truth of selling a cheaper model is more profitable.
I can go out of state to a Structural Pesticide Company and purchase their 5 and 6 hundred dollar gallon sprayers, but that doesn't seem logical for us. Still the cost of replacing wands and seals each year, is still no contest with the professional models.
If I were doing home structural pest control, then it would be profitable and longer lasting to me!

greendoctor
07-05-2009, 10:54 PM
I use a 2 gallon B & G stainless steel sprayer on the road. It is well worth whatever I paid for it. It does not leak, break or give me any problems. I bought it about 10 years ago when I was still someone's employee. Can't stand having to use cheap plastic $hit that a homeowner could easily buy. Replacing wands is not a problem for me because I normally use 1/4 stainless steel piping for wands. Parts for a B & G are as simple as paying a visit to a vendor that supplies PCOs. It is more expensive true, but not being aggravated on a regular basis is priceless.

cinquefoil
07-05-2009, 11:22 PM
I use a 2 gallon B & G stainless steel sprayer on the road. It is well worth whatever I paid for it. It does not leak, break or give me any problems. I bought it about 10 years ago when I was still someone's employee. Can't stand having to use cheap plastic $hit that a homeowner could easily buy. Replacing wands is not a problem for me because I normally use 1/4 stainless steel piping for wands. Parts for a B & G are as simple as paying a visit to a vendor that supplies PCOs. It is more expensive true, but not being aggravated on a regular basis is priceless.

It looks like a B&G 2 gallon sprayer is in the $350+ range. But it sure to be more economical over the long haul instead of buying a cheap one every few months or every season. Not to mention all the time wasted playing around with the cheap ones trying to get them to work properly and wasting product testing the sprayer and spray pattern. For a pro who uses a sprayer like this frequently, it seems like a no brainer to me.

cinquefoil
07-05-2009, 11:25 PM
I would say the 67220 2 gallon stainless steel sprayer. That is the most commonly available and reasonably priced. I know that Ace Hardware carries these. I also recommend replacing the standard cone nozzle with the fan nozzle that is available as a spare part.

I checked Ace online and they aren't showing any Hudsons and my local store doesn't carry them. This looks like a good sprayer for my use and it won't break the bank. I just would like to see one in person. They aren't showing any dealers anywhere near me. Thanks for your input. If I can't find a Hudson locally, what do you think of the Gilmour that was linked to in a prior post?

cinquefoil
07-05-2009, 11:32 PM
Take a look at the Gilmour wide mouth. Lots of good features.
http://www.gilmour.com/Tank-Sprayers/Spray-Tanks/Premium-Wide-Mouth.aspx

Thanks for the reply. That one sounds good too, I just don't know where I can buy one locally. It seems like the places in my area only have the cheap ones. Also, what do the ones at JDL run price wise?

cinquefoil
07-05-2009, 11:38 PM
Foil,
I have journeyed these store's in hopes to find such a good sprayer that will last the abuse of everyday use. All of the Chinese made sprayers are just as all has described, plastic--cheap and barely hold up to the pressure.
The thing to consider is the types of pesticides used within the sprayers. Not all sprayers are equipped with Viton or Nitril-Butyl rubber gaskets and o-rings. Pesticides are either degenerative and corrosive to the inner workings of the cheap and common sprayers. You must clean them out after each use to keep them workable for a while.
I have the priviledge of Farm centers where they sell chemical resistant seal and o-rings, which I have to change out for each new sprayer we buy. The equipped nozzles are junk as they can't handle the heat of our area. We have to change them out too!!
In line filters are essential in the handle assembly and inside the nozzle tip to keep sediment out from the tip.
There are companies that sell all brass wands and fittings, it may be in your own area but just not advertised to the general public. The professional line is kept to the professionals. At least around here it is because of the expense of getting a quality sprayer that will hold up.
Gilmore and Hudson, makes a great general use sprayer, but be weary of the hose fittings and nozzle attachments just as explained above. Make sure the supplier carries the replacement parts for order or on their shelves. Every couple of years, the model numbers will change and the availibility becomes obsolete.

Your advice is appreciated. I want something that is reliable and that will hold up for more than a month or two.

What do you guys think of backpack sprayers? What models would you suggest? I'm guessing that the ones sold by Lowes and Home Depot are like their tank sprayers, not so good?

greendoctor
07-05-2009, 11:40 PM
I checked Ace online and they aren't showing any Hudsons and my local store doesn't carry them. This looks like a good sprayer for my use and it won't break the bank. I just would like to see one in person. They aren't showing any dealers anywhere near me. Thanks for your input. If I can't find a Hudson locally, what do you think of the Gilmour that was linked to in a prior post?

Its ok, but I just do not like plastic. I still have that industrial Hudson sprayer at home and it still works. Another place that sells Hudson is northerntool.com. The best ones are not $300+ like my B & G, but not having to buy another one in a year or two is worth it to me.

cinquefoil
07-05-2009, 11:54 PM
Its ok, but I just do not like plastic. I still have that industrial Hudson sprayer at home and it still works. Another place that sells Hudson is northerntool.com. The best ones are not $300+ like my B & G, but not having to buy another one in a year or two is worth it to me.

I've bought two cheap ones in the last year or so and I could have had a better unit for the money I spent, never mind the aggrevation. Both units I have are from RL Flomaster. The first one which sprayed about 10 gallons, the last two tanks which were a lesson in futility, has been scrapped. The second one is still being used, it's ok not great. I got it at HD, it is marked as a commercial unit. I notice that there is a slight airleak at the top at times, and I have to mess with the nozzle at times to get it to spray s consistent pattern. It is much better than unit 1 and I have put 25+ gallons thru it so far. I'm just anticipating problems soon and I want to buy a good unit next time. If I find something better, I may just return this one to HD and get a refund. It would never last in daily use.

greendoctor
07-06-2009, 12:01 AM
I think 3 or 4 orange box "professional grade" units would buy you one of these. http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200312543_200312543. Ok maybe five. But it would work at least 5 times better than what you have been getting so far. These come with a fixed fan nozzle, which is what I keep on harping about to make a safe and effective herbicide application in lawns.