PDA

View Full Version : A new iPhone App - Need your thoughts

Classified
07-05-2009, 01:48 PM
Hey everyone,

Im not programmer but my brother in law is and We are going to start working on an iPhone app that could help us as applicators. This isnt a sales pitch or anything but Im just looking for your thoughts and opions weather its worth the time to create or not.

What I had in mind was a chemical calculator. Say you need to find out how much N you need to put down in a lawn or say your mixing up a tank of chemicals and need to know how much of each chemical to to put in the tank, this would tell you that and do all the math for you. I would also eventually like to add in a database of non compliant chemicals so that you dont mix 2 chems that are incompatable with each other and also eventually a database that has all weed types and what/when/how the best way to kill them is. But I need your help also, like your thoughts on the whole thing and any ideas to make the app work for you and be a great resource. I also want to tap into the gps tracking of the iPhone so that way you can track your pattern and also your amount applied. Im not sure how accurate that is but I hope to try it out. I have a some other ideas that will further this app in a way I cannot say just yet but this would just be the foundation for something that could be huge.

Please lets not turn this into a cepphone thread but in turn keep it based on your thoughts, recomndations and ideas on the app.

Thanks!!

Green Pastures
07-05-2009, 02:55 PM
I'd be interested.

Look into Apple's marketing system before you invest a bunch of your time into this.

Best selling apps are $1.99 and less.

Are you willing to work for that kind of money?

Don't forget Apple will take a slice of that $1.99 FIRST.

RigglePLC
07-05-2009, 08:37 PM
Good luck! There are so many variables in the methods of application and the amount of water per 1000 sqft, and the speed of application equipment. Permagreen? Z-spray? Skid sprayer? Backpack?

Classified
07-05-2009, 09:42 PM
Well I hope for this to be a very in depth program. The guy doing all the math equations is sorta like rainman lol. I just talked to him and the app is a go and I'm pretty excited to get it going. Hopefully it will be done around spring time of 2010
Posted via Mobile Device

EVM
07-05-2009, 10:28 PM
Good luck! There are so many variables in the methods of application and the amount of water per 1000 sqft, and the speed of application equipment. Permagreen? Z-spray? Skid sprayer? Backpack?

I agree; there is a ton of variables. If you can make the app a viable option I will pay $50.00 for it but it has to be complete; no BS. I would also pay $5.00 for 6 month updates for new chemicals. You are never going to be able to use the GPS in the phone for anything near accurate.

drobin
07-05-2009, 10:59 PM
that is a great idea, I love my iphone, and have it on me while I work, this would be very helpful and I would buy it

Classified
07-06-2009, 01:45 AM
Thanks for the support. Its not going to be easy and there are a bunch of features that I want in there that would make it an incredible resource including weed ID and other things. Its going to be a lot of work but if it helps me and others it will turn out just the way I want it. The guy doing all the equations and programming is pretty excited to get working on it as well.

I figured the gps wont work accurately but maybe for golf courses or large areas it may work better. not for small lawns.

Im thinking too that 6 month updates will need to happen or at least a yearly update before each spring. The IPhone is a very powerful tool and it nearly a mini computer, it just so happens to work as a phone too, ha.

JFF
07-06-2009, 11:36 PM
Any telephone OS app that caters to lawn service (especially weed control) would be most welcome. I would love to be a beta tester.

PCs are gonna slowly die, IMO. Smartphones are the future. They will replace you home phone, keys, credit cards, remote controls...etc. They are real productivity machines and their potential is just being recognized, soon all these uses will be a reality.

fastcat
07-06-2009, 11:46 PM
make sure it can be used on black berry storms also

DLAWNS
07-07-2009, 12:05 AM
make sure it can be used on black berry storms also

I would love something like this. Would it be available for blackberry's?

Classified
07-07-2009, 01:00 AM
no go on the blackberrys. maybe in the future but first I have to figure out how to make it for my iphone, LOL

I hate mac, They only allow you to develop the apps on a mac, so I am stuck looking for a compatible mac mini for cheap. oh well, I have the SDK now and nothing to run it on, LOL.

LibertyLawnServices
03-08-2010, 11:15 PM
Here is an iphone app I found today. I own a lawn care company and also a software developer. I was looking around and found this one today. Looks like a professor from the The University of Georgia created it.

http://lawncare.about.com/b/2009/09/14/iphone-application-for-turf-lovers-now-available.htm

Classified
03-09-2010, 12:51 AM
I saw that but its a subscription. I think its about $100 if I remember correctly, per year. All it is is an interface on the iphone to thier website basically.

LibertyLawnServices
03-09-2010, 01:00 AM
Good to know. I did not read into it. I was looking around today to see if anything was out there.

dwc
03-09-2010, 09:01 PM
if you could make it where you didn't have to have AT&T to have an iPhone I would like it better! :)

thempikes
03-10-2010, 04:37 PM
We use an excell spread sheet to fill our big tank in our shop.

Then it is pumped into each of the trucks as needed.

Also excell is now available for the iphone.

Jb3NH
03-22-2010, 12:48 PM
I know i'm the third to say this but.. availability for the blackberry platform would be awesome

thempikes
03-23-2010, 12:09 PM
Here is a sample of how we set up our excel spread sheets
Our target spray rate is 1.5 gal/mft

Barricade rate 32 oz/acre
gal/water 100 200 300
sq ft coverage 66.7 133.3 200.0
acres 1.5 3.1 4.6
oz barricade 48.97 97.95 146.92
qts 1.53 3.06 4.59

I just downloaded Quickoffice from the iphone app store. Cost is only $9.99.

Ron

cgaengineer
03-23-2010, 03:51 PM
Thanks for the support. Its not going to be easy and there are a bunch of features that I want in there that would make it an incredible resource including weed ID and other things. Its going to be a lot of work but if it helps me and others it will turn out just the way I want it. The guy doing all the equations and programming is pretty excited to get working on it as well.

I figured the gps wont work accurately but maybe for golf courses or large areas it may work better. not for small lawns.

Im thinking too that 6 month updates will need to happen or at least a yearly update before each spring. The IPhone is a very powerful tool and it nearly a mini computer, it just so happens to work as a phone too, ha.

Yeah, you would need GPS that's either RTK or WAAS, but even WAAS is only accurate to +/-3 meters...not too good for a lawn, but maybe for crops.

The application sounds very interesting, something that would really help someone just getting started.

Brad
04-03-2010, 10:11 AM
If anyone is interested, I put together a spreadsheet in Excel for this use. You put the product name, oz. per thousand sq. ft, and it will calculate everything you need, including the gallons of water. If anyone wants a copy of this, send me an e-mail or PM. Like I said, it's in Excel (think you can upload into google docs and use it there as well, I'm not sure).

Brad
04-04-2010, 08:10 AM
PS--Please include your e-mail address.

Thanks.

ajslands
04-04-2010, 01:05 PM
I am glad I have an iPhone, just make he price right and we have a deal!
Posted via Mobile Device

C.Meece
08-05-2010, 08:59 AM
Im ready for it. When will it be ready? What all will it be able to do?

Tha5150
02-19-2012, 10:46 PM
any update on this?