PDA

View Full Version : Roundup pricing?

minix
07-05-2009, 12:49 PM
How do you price spraying roundup for weed controle in parking lots and stone beds? Does anyone price by the gal?

Josh.S
07-05-2009, 02:12 PM
How do you price spraying roundup for weed controle in parking lots and stone beds? Does anyone price by the gal?

I just try to figure my rate per hour + product costs. I'm sure that there is a better way to do it though....

Think Green
07-05-2009, 04:53 PM
I will protect the integrity of my ((hard earned license)) than explain the procedures for applying something that you can buy at lowe's for 10.00 per gallon in a RTU 2% cheaply mixed container. IF the consumer will go out and buy this at lowe's for 10.00 then................................................................................................ ...............................................????
From here it is all a matter of discovering how much area will a gallon cover!!!!

minix
07-05-2009, 05:05 PM
I will protect the integrity of my ((hard earned license)) than explain the procedures for applying something that you can buy at lowe's for 10.00 per gallon in a RTU 2% cheaply mixed container. IF the consumer will go out and buy this at lowe's for 10.00 then................................................................................................ ...............................................????
From here it is all a matter of discovering how much area will a gallon cover!!!!

lol I just asked a question to see how others where doing it. I dont see what Lowe's has to do with my question. I buy pure and mix myself. If you dont have anything good to ad to a post then why bother posting?

Think Green
07-05-2009, 05:30 PM
Since you are in the weed control business then you should know how others are pricing for such a mediocre task as pricing round up.
I know all the applicator's in my area and how they are doing the apps and how they charge.
Why would anyone tell you how they charge for their services, especially when the public eye is watching and learning how we charge. I have been around these forums for quite a while now, and this is a free country!

Good Day!

Think Green
07-05-2009, 05:43 PM
Minix,
As I have learned this particular forum, the viewers and competition wants to know; Who, what, where, when and why!
If a post or response is left to the blind eye, the critics are here to tear you a new rear end.
To answer your question, We will measure by the 1,000's and charge by the square foot. We do this just as a painter would in painting a room or a mason laying brick.
I am not being an @#$hole, and apologize for coming across as one. The general public only needs to know simply, what the product kills, rather than how we do it and how much is charged and made from the application. I have seen these theads and responses to application methods, etc. It almost makes me sick to see others displayig their profit margins and fees (That is if they are telling the truth). I for one, have seen LCO's lose their shirts and business's for posting their profits and techniques on such forums.
No disrespect to you or any other.
I feel that it is better to be safe than sorry!!

greendoctor
07-05-2009, 05:54 PM
Well said. I can also tell clients that what I apply for weed control is probably not sold at any home center or garden shop. Asking how to price a RoundUp application raises all kinds of red flags. For me, it is safe to say that RoundUp is a chemical infrequently used.

dishboy
07-05-2009, 06:02 PM
Real simple my HR + T +M divided by PieRsquared X .568741 unless it is Monday then it is X .624179

minix
07-05-2009, 08:06 PM
WOW WTF is this site for? I ask a simple question and everyone thinks Im coming to your house and taking accounts away from you.

Does anyone know a lawn site where I can ask a question without people flipping out?

Blood Bought
07-05-2009, 08:20 PM
WOW WTF is this site for? I ask a simple question and everyone thinks Im coming to your house and taking accounts away from you.

Does anyone know a lawn site where I can ask a question without people flipping out?

I would imagine that everyone here has learned by reading and trial and error. Simply said I'm not going to tell you what to charge because, 1 I don't know your cost of operation, 2 I have competition and they would love to find out how I price my services so they can beat me. You won't be in the game long if you can't handle this task yourself. :mad:

minix
07-05-2009, 08:23 PM
I would imagine that everyone here has learned by reading and trial and error. Simply said I'm not going to tell you what to charge because, 1 I don't know your cost of operation, 2 I have competition and they would love to find out how I price my services so they can beat me. You won't be in the game long if you can't handle this task yourself. :mad:

If you or anyone else dosent want to help someone on a pricing question then move on and do not respond to the thread , no reason posting anything but a answer.

Heidi J.
07-05-2009, 08:37 PM

What do you charge?:laugh:

minix
07-05-2009, 08:39 PM
What do you charge?:laugh:

Just what Im talking about.

rcreech
07-05-2009, 08:39 PM
minix,

I understand you asking...but I also know and understand why nobody is answering you.

As stated earlier...if the guys here on lawnsite doesn't know your product costs, fixed costs, variable costs and expected profit margins etc. they can't answer your question.

I may charge $10/k and make a 50% profit margin and you may charge $15/k with a 25% margin.

Who knows!

The only thing I can tell you is....know your costs and what you want to make.

Who cares what anyone else is charging!

Hope this didn't offend you! :laugh:

VARMIT COMMISSION
07-05-2009, 10:30 PM
I charge the same price per 1000 for GLY as I do for a regular customer that takes the 5 step (fert and squirt) lawn program. I have one price per 1000 and it is what i charge for every lawn per 1000. I will tell you that GLY only cost's about .12 cents per 1000. It is a killer profit margin for me. Example: to spray a fence line or gravel drive or whatever it is my minimum charge of "X" regardless of how small it is. I charge by the 1000 square foot of the whole area to be sprayed with GLY regardless of if there is only 10 weeds or if it is solid weeds. To stop and spray your sidewalk it is the same price as the neighbor who has a 4400 sq ft lawn receiving fert. and a pre-m.

bug-guy
07-05-2009, 10:45 PM
minix
i'm suprised the other scotts haven't gone after you for the name

kbrashears
07-05-2009, 10:48 PM
I charge by the amount of PITA the job is.

tamadrummer
07-05-2009, 10:55 PM
I charge $30 a gallon of my mix. I mix at 3 oz./gal of 41% gly and use 1 oz. of 80/20 non-ionic surfactant and 1 oz. of blue marker dye.

I use a Stihl backback sprayer and shoot for 900 sq. ft per gallon.

minix
07-05-2009, 11:06 PM
minix
i'm suprised the other scotts haven't gone after you for the name

lol why would they do that?

Hoots
07-06-2009, 08:52 PM
The best way to price a "non traditional" area, crack and sidewalk, is to quote a price that is fair, reasonable, profitable, and the maximum amount you can get away with and still get the job.

Not being rude but in some instances this is the way it is done.

greendave
07-06-2009, 09:44 PM
I charge $30 a gallon of my mix. I mix at 3 oz./gal of 41% gly and use 1 oz. of 80/20 non-ionic surfactant and 1 oz. of blue marker dye.

Can you explain the benefits/drawbacks of the surfactant, and what the term '80/20non-ionic' means? Any specific reason for a blue dye and not another color? Do you sometimes use a pre-em in your mix as well?

Do the 'over the counter' pre-mixes have surfactants in them?

thanks........... inquisitive minds want to know.....

minix
07-06-2009, 09:45 PM
After reading some pm's from some great guys on this site it seems The rate per gal is $25-$30 for round up sprayed.

Its a shame people need to pm answers in fear of others on this site.

JFF
07-06-2009, 09:52 PM
Its also a question of "price fixing," which is a felony in America. If all the members of this site get together and agree to charge "x" amount per gallon for round-up, we would be in violation of Federal law.

But to answer your question, I have a minimum charge for the first gallon, then charge a set amount for each additional gallon I spray.

Hoots
07-06-2009, 10:41 PM
Price per gallon does not always equate well. What if you use a fine mist-low volume? Many more plants sprayed with low volume. If you use a stream which wastes product from over-spray then you could charge twice the volume.

Price per job not per gallon.
Posted via Mobile Device

JFF
07-06-2009, 10:43 PM
I will adjust the price accordingly if it is not in a wide open space. If it is picking at weeds in a bed filled with ornamental, which is obviously more time consuming, the price per gallon goes up.

phasthound
07-06-2009, 10:44 PM
After reading some pm's from some great guys on this site it seems The rate per gal is $25-$30 for round up sprayed.

If anyone is interested in learning how to reduce the cost per gal of any systemic application; weed control, fungicide, etc; feel free to PM me. :)

tamadrummer
07-07-2009, 07:48 AM
Can you explain the benefits/drawbacks of the surfactant, and what the term '80/20non-ionic' means? Any specific reason for a blue dye and not another color? Do you sometimes use a pre-em in your mix as well?

Do the 'over the counter' pre-mixes have surfactants in them?

thanks........... inquisitive minds want to know.....

Most OTC gly products contain a surfactant already and so it is not necessary to add but I do because it is cheap insurance that my product will stick and work.

Blue dye because that is what is avail. here. I have not seen other colors but I would not be opposed to using them.

For me both are cheap ways to not over spray and not have my stuff just wash off plants if a summer storm pops up as I am working.

pinto n mwr
07-07-2009, 08:23 AM
prices can be all over the board on this topic. I consider this to be an add on service to my existing customers. If they ask for the service then I usually charge $25.00 per backpack. Can usually do about three to four backpacks an hour. Covers my cost of chem, truck charge, etc...

stuartqm
07-09-2009, 01:36 PM
The way I price Round-up
Broad-cast (vacant lot full weed coverage) $ per 1000 sq ft
Broad cast (Industrial partal weed coverage) $ per Lt
Parking lots (cracks and gravel beds) $ per Lt plus per hour charge
Lanes (50' +/-) Stop fee and $ per Lt

grassguy123
04-11-2010, 11:50 AM
Your right i dont know why people are so afraid to reveal their prices here, the reason being:
for the same job
landscaper A gives a price of $1000 and does a horrible job
landscaper b gives a price of $5000 and does a horrible job
landscaper c gives a price of $1000 and does a great job
landscaper d gives a price of $5000 and does a great job

this is very realist in this industry, so as you can see price means absolutely nothing, so there is no reason not to reveal pricing here. ill tell all my pricing here and my competition can low ball me all they want. but my customers know we do go work so they will never go with anyone else anyway.

as far as the roundup question goes we buy it from home depot because we dont do enough to buy in bulk. So we pay less than $100 to mix 42 gallons of roundup. (that is double the recommended strength)

so our 5 gallon sprayer holds $12 of round up

for any extra service such as leaf cleanups etc we charge $55/man hour

when my foreman is spraying roundup he clocks his exact hours just like he does for any other additional work. and then we just bill the customer $65/ hour

if its a small job like spraying a short side walk we have a $29 minimum, when we use roundup its almost allways real small stuf, when we mow lawns we mow 25 a day and maybe spray 10 customers sidewalks or mulch beds. 10 x $29=$290 a day and at the end of the day we only used 2 or 3 gallons of roundup

hope that helps. i also get very frustrated when other landscapers dont want to help out with advise

mike174
04-11-2010, 10:49 PM

That's right where we are priced also.

Young Bros
04-12-2010, 10:34 AM
We charge a min then a per 1,000 sq ft price for bigger ones.

Shegardi
04-12-2010, 06:46 PM
$ 2000.00 per acre lol......

phasthound
04-12-2010, 07:01 PM
As I stated before, If anyone is interested in learning how to reduce the cost per gal of any systemic application; weed control, fungicide, etc; feel free to PM me.