PDA

View Full Version : leaf loader/non dump

jamaica plain
07-05-2009, 05:18 PM
Hi,
I've been searching for the last couple of day, and spending a few hours looking through the search option on the site for some information and have not been able to find it.
I have been doing maintenance for 4 years now. In the fall, my schedule is completely backed up and barely finished my work last year. I would like to buy a leaf loader this year to use with my f-350, which is NOT a dump truck.
The plan that I would like to follow is; buy a top of the line leaf loader (willing to spend to get performance), and figure out a way to dump the leaves from the back of my pick up. (I plan to to buy a dump truck in a year or two)
I don't want to buy and trailer for multiple reasons.
I would like to know how to unload an 8 yard box that will sit in my bed? Are there ways of making some sort of box that will sit in the back of my truck and dump?
I have used tarps in years past, but don't expect to be able to with the use of a leaf loader this year.

2low4NH
07-06-2009, 07:22 AM
i guess you can put a pallet against the back wall hook a chain to it and pull it out when your read to unload. i wouldnt want to do this. i have a decent leaf loader and it packs the leaves in. i would want to rake them out either theres alot of leaves in 6 yards plus. even with a half full truck which is most residental yards around here the bottom half packs right down when you open the gate you dont lose a single leaf

jamaica plain
07-06-2009, 11:03 AM
Thanks for the note. I hadn't thought of the pallet idea. Something to think about.
Do you unload your leaves by rake after they have been loaded by a leaf loader? How long would it take a couple of guys to unload a fully loaded and packed load?
I have been unloading my leaves by rake, pitchfork, and tarp in the past, I just don't know if it a feasible option with leaves loaded with a leaf loader.

2low4NH
07-06-2009, 02:58 PM
less then an hour maybe. i have a dump truck so no raking for me.

evono
07-06-2009, 05:00 PM
I was rocking a 15 HP leaf vac last year which went into my 5x10 trailer which has 4' sides. Took me about 15-30 mins to unload by myself depending on how wet the leaves were and how much dirt had collected.

Its not fun but hand unloading works fine. I also put a tarp on the bottom of my trailer to pull out the last foot or so of leaves.

Hope that helps

metro36
07-06-2009, 05:49 PM
I would consider a dump insert with a leaf box on it.

Truckcraft has this sweet aluminum dump insert and leaf box attachment.
http://www.truckcraft.com/productDetail.asp?id=2&cID=
http://www.truckcraft.com/productDetail.asp?id=15&cID=

You could buy a steel insert then put on wood wall using the stake pockets on the insert and put a tarp over the top also.This would be a cheaper alternative.

LawnScapers of Dayton
07-06-2009, 06:22 PM
use the loader to unload

jamaica plain
07-06-2009, 09:59 PM
Thanks for all the input guys. I was on the phone with a sales person asking around on the same issue. I was told to use the loader to unload the load. Now my only concern is will the loader work when the truck is full of wet leaves that may have been sitting for a day or two.
Anyone use a loader to unload leaves? I've seen it done on the giant-vac web site, just wondering how well it works in less than optimal conditions.
Thanks again!

ryde307
07-07-2009, 10:25 AM
I would get a truck inset build a wood box with no top just a tarp. You then have it for other work be it mulch ect..
We have a dump trailer that holds around 24 yrds and fill it 2-3 times a day. We will turn the loader shoot sometimes when near a woods and shoot them into the woods instead of trailer but never unloaded any loads with the loader.
When I started we used our lawn trailer and put a pallet in the front like stated above.

verant
07-07-2009, 10:46 AM
I have a new load handler for sale new in the box if anyone is interested. I bought it spur the moment and I havent really needed it, so my loss is your gain.

2low4NH
07-07-2009, 01:19 PM
not sure how well it will work unloading the truck but i have a billygoat loader that works awesome but small sticks will plug up the tube bad.

jamaica plain
07-07-2009, 03:04 PM
I am thinking I would like to purchase a new loader. Part of the reason I am going through all this on the research end, is so that I buy the right/best equipment I can buy, and that I will be happy with the equipment in three years still.
Right now, my concern is will I be able to unload a full load, of 6 yards+ of wet, compact leaves, that have been loaded by the loader.
It sounds like it is possible to do, which is encouraging. It's just a matter of speaking to/ finding a couple of people who unload leaf loaded non-dump trucks and finding out their experience.

2low4NH
07-07-2009, 03:20 PM
dont let them sit in the truck over night when its full dump it.

Uranus
07-07-2009, 03:32 PM
Dont let those leaves freeze in the back of the truck. Buy a dump insert and then sell the insert once you decide to upgrade your truck.

jamaica plain
07-07-2009, 03:48 PM
I really don't want a dump insert. I have no place to store it when not in use and I use the truck to get around sometimes when not working, so I don't want to carry the extra weight.
As for not storing the leaves over night... I don't know how realistic that is. If the loader works as advertised, I won't need to go to the dump as often. Part of the reason I can justify spending good money on a loader is that I will be able to do more work, instead of spending time traveling to the dump.
If leaves that sit around for two or three days is going to be a problem, I need to start looking for solutions.

2low4NH
07-07-2009, 04:04 PM
if they freeze they will be in there all winter. if they get wet they get heavy. some times they stink if any of them are decayed you will be able to produce alot more work much quicker. if you do one or two more jobs a day your truck will be filled up just go dump at the end of the day.

hackitdown
07-07-2009, 07:47 PM
I have a dump insert, works like a charm. This is my second year. There are so many times I used it I have lost count. There is no storage issue, it isn't the kind of thing you can take out easily. Before the insert, I had a Load-handler.

Never tried a pallet, but I think it is a low-cost winner for leaf unloading.

jamaica plain
07-07-2009, 09:11 PM
I agree, a dump insert would be a nice option. However, I just have chosen not to go that route. I don't want to carry around a dump insert, that is only needed one season, for a whole year. I have put much thought into my set-up. Having a pick-up truck is a valuable part of how I want to be set up. The majority of my business in mowing small lawns. I don't use a trailer to haul my equipment around, but just arrange my equipment in my truck on a set up with multiple Trimmertrap features. This saves me on gas, not hauling a trailer, and allows me to maneuver in tight city streets where I operate. I am so dedicated to the idea of a pick-up, that I am considering buying a second one, at cheap money, to use for a second crew in the summers and winters, till I can justify spending the 18k to 20kI think it would take to get a good dump. So if I can hold out till the business justifies buying a dump, I would like to do so.
All that I need to do is, figure out if using a leaf loader to unload 6+yards of leaves is going to be a viable option(or if there is a better option for my set-up)? The sales manager at a power equipment place tells me that the loader will do the job. I just would like a little feedback from people who unload large (5+ yards of leaves) loads from a pick-up truck.
Please don't misunderstand though, I do enjoy all the comments I have received and appreciate anyone having taken the time to write.:)

jamaica plain
07-07-2009, 09:12 PM
PS, I am wondering if a load handler is something that might work also?

ryde307
07-08-2009, 04:49 PM
It will work. Its just not going to work the way you hope. The problem is the loader will pack them into your truck fairly well and for it to suck them apart and back out won't be so easy.
So the answer to your question is yes it will work. Probably not a whole lot faster than pitchforking them out though.

LawnScapers of Dayton
07-08-2009, 05:32 PM
I would avoid letting the leaves sit in the truck......the sooner you unload the easier it will be......

Ben's Landscape
07-08-2009, 07:24 PM
I have never had a leaf loader. (Don't Worry its comming) But i have herd that you can just use the loader to unload. I am personally going to buy a Giant Vac truck loader. Hope this helps.

ryde307
07-08-2009, 07:39 PM
I wouldnt waste your money on a large loader.
Not trying to be a dick just try to help but based on your equip. list you have no need for something like that.

jamaica plain
07-08-2009, 09:59 PM
Ryde, thanks for the input. I am worried about how well packed leaves will work. I am thinking that having a couple of guys with pitchforks loosening up the debris will help get the leaves flowing. If that system doesn't work well, I am thinking having a leafloader will at least help get the last couple of yards out of the truck.
It sounds like you have unloaded leaves with a leaf loader before. Have you? What size loader did you use?
DRM,
I do worry about how leaves sitting will be. Depending on how much the leaves get broken down, I hope to be able to go a couple of days with out going to the dump. Even if it takes an extra ten minutes to unloaded the leaves, I'll still make out by not traveling daily to the dump, especially with the shorter days in the fall. Do you unload your leaves with a leaf loader?
Metro,
I looked at those dump inserts you posted. Looks good. Got me thinking I might be better of with an insert, then buying a dump when the time comes.

jamaica plain
07-08-2009, 10:17 PM
Ahh, Ryder,
Getting a loader that is too large for me is kinda the point.
I've been doing this leaf thing for a couple of years now. I am at the point where my current set up of three guys working and loading the truck with tarps will not finish my work this year. So, the next step for me is, to get the biggest loader I can afford and use it till I have too much work to finish before the snow. At that point I will buy a dump/dump insert to help handle the work. When that happens, I don't want to have to buy another loader.
I don't have a wife or kids to support, so I can put my money into equipment.

LawnScapers of Dayton
07-08-2009, 10:41 PM
I have a dump insert.....and a Billy Goat loader

jamaica plain
07-08-2009, 10:58 PM
I like all the comments that are being posted. Still no one, save for evono and DRM, who unloads a large load of leaves with a loader has commented. From what I see, everyone has some sort of dump with their leaf loader, which I appreciate. It seems to me, that the comments on how a leaf loader will work when unloading a load of leaves are based on suppositions, and not on having done it on a regular basis or for at least a season.

evono, mega thanks for your info. If I was to understand you, I can safely count on getting my leaves out within 45 minutes. If that's what it comes to, I can handle that.

DRM, unloading with the loader seems like the best way, of course with a little elbow grease thrown in for good measure.