PDA

View Full Version : Versa Lok wall question

hollywood
07-05-2009, 10:37 PM
I am installing a raised patio using Versa Lok standard units. The wall is 2 courses high with cap. The dealer where I bought the block said most guys glue the courses instead of pins. I have installed VL before and always pinned. Would it be ok to glue if the wall is only 2 courses high? I know every type of wall needs drainage, but at just under 16" of total height could I backfill directly behind the wall with crusher run instead of #57 thus keeping my entire backfill area crusher run?

D Felix
07-06-2009, 04:22 PM
You could do it either way, pinned or glued. Glue the caps though. Gluing courses can be a PITA, especially when you get too much on the block and it squeezes out.

How much are you embedding?

Use clean stone as backfill- always. You run the risk of pushing the wall out if you get too close with the compactor as well.

Next comment is you might want to look into some dealer/manufacturer sponsored classes if you haven't already.... You can get a lot of questions answered there.

hollywood
07-06-2009, 09:06 PM
Thanks D Felix. One course is embedded, with one course and cap exposed. I attended a VL seminar several years ago and they didn't cover raised patios much. Mostly walls, stairs, and columns were covered. They recommended pins wherever possible. I will go ahead and use clean stone behind the wall. This is my first raised patio using VL. I have used VL for walls and steps before. This patio is only going to be approximately 10" above grade. I wasn't sure how necessary clean stone was behind the block on a wall this low, especially with pavers on top.

I know from your other posts that you work with VL often so I appreciate your input. The dealer in my area has great product readily available, but aren't much help with the technical end.

Paver Gangster
07-06-2009, 11:25 PM
I guess my answer would depends on how long the wall is, if its a shorter wall and the dealer will break a box of pins, is there that much of a cost savings?

hollywood
07-08-2009, 07:44 AM
The wall is 35' in length and I would have to buy pins in intervals of 100. Not sure about the cost savings, but gluing would probably be faster in this particular case.

Bru75
07-08-2009, 08:44 PM
The wall is 35' in length and I would have to buy pins in intervals of 100. Not sure about the cost savings, but gluing would probably be faster in this particular case.

They make you BUY the pins???
My supplier gives me more than I could possibly need every time included in the block price.
I've got tons of these things laying around.

hollywood
07-08-2009, 10:16 PM
They do make you buy the pins separately. They are about 25 cents a piece. I want to say that they are sold in bags of 100 with 5 bags per box. At least that is how I bought them last time.

Bru75
07-09-2009, 12:40 AM
Jeez 'o flip! That's $25.00 a bag! I really need to put my extras on e-bay.

hollywood
07-09-2009, 07:13 AM
You should. I would have bought them. :)

DeereHauler
07-09-2009, 11:40 PM
my most recent wall i bought pins for .20 a piece.

i paid about $5.20 a block for the versa lok standard unit, what are you guys paying in other areas?

Mid-Ohio Scaper
07-09-2009, 11:50 PM
Damn, you guys are doing better than me. I get'em for .36 a piece.
Bru you need to put those up for sale!!

DeereHauler
07-09-2009, 11:57 PM
to go back to the original post, i did the same thing with the versa lok standards at my house, one course embedded, glued the entire thing, i had no problems with glue squeezing out until my last 2 blocks on the very short wall near the fence. i started my patio in may, finished it July 3rd, because i was having a huge party on the 4th, and my wife threatened divorce...haha

here are the pics,

Bru75
07-11-2009, 12:34 AM
Nice work, deerehauler.
I'll see how many extra pins I have when I get a chance (I like to keep a few on hand), and if I decide to sell them I'll let you guys know. Had no idea they were valuable, I thought it was standard practice for them to be included with the block.

mzgloves20
07-12-2009, 11:17 PM
Looks nice...I've never had to build a raised patio. Always has been either one or the other, patio or walls...

Do u fill with the clean stone till u need to put down the compactable base then sand and pavers?

Pins here are .37 a piece (retail) or a box of 500 for $190 (contractor).

Never ever sold together.

hollywood
07-14-2009, 10:54 PM
I guess .25 a pin isn't so bad afterall.

mzgloves20- I was asking the same question in my post regarding the backfill inside the raised portion of the patio. On the particular project I was asking about, I used #57 behind the wall, then a layer of geotextile, then crusher run for the rest of the infill.

mzgloves20
07-14-2009, 11:00 PM
ahh kinda what i figured but just wanted confirmed...thanks!

DeereHauler
07-15-2009, 10:27 PM
Looks nice...I've never had to build a raised patio. Always has been either one or the other, patio or walls...

Do u fill with the clean stone till u need to put down the compactable base then sand and pavers?

Pins here are .37 a piece (retail) or a box of 500 for $190 (contractor).

Never ever sold together.

i used all sub base (compactable base, whatever you call it depending on where you are) i just did small layers at a time, and tamped it really well before the next layer. we built most of the base before the wall went in, then once the wall was installed, less the cap, we added the remaining sub base, and then sand and pavers.