PDA

View Full Version : Who's had Maaco Paint Thier Trucks?

M and S Lawn Care
07-05-2009, 10:10 PM
Title "asks it all". I need to turn a green truck into a white truck, and dont want to spend a fortune.

I know it's not going to be a "great" paint job, but then again, this is a work truck, it's going to get scratched, dented, etc.

Any praises, complaints, words of caution? Google reveals some "horror" stories, but those people probably expected a $4K paint job from $300.00.

I basically want to make sure the paint will stick on for at least a few years, and I dont want too many drips down the side of the truck...

Bunton Guy
07-05-2009, 10:33 PM
we had a family car painted my them 10 years ago. The paint job lasted about 3-4 years...for the price you can't beat it. They did it again just before we sold the car or traded it in.

Orange peel was an issue. I beleive the paint was a single stage base/clear. It looked good for about a year to two years. I think it was close to 400 bucks then. Jet black was the color

P.Services
07-05-2009, 11:08 PM
hey buddy!! haha

hey no joke maaco does kick asswork i dont care what anyone says. they painted my enclosed trailer and did a awesome job for 800 when the next best price i got was around 2700. thye did great work, no overspray no orange peel looks great.

im going to take my 08 truck into them as soon as i get a dull week. expect for a full color change to be around 1200 or a 1000. i use to know the owner of the one thats across from that big flea market (cant remember the town) his name was paul and he was a awesome guy. he actully painted my trailer twice becasue the first time it was like a dark forest green. i got all steamed up and made as soon as i saw it and paul goes dont worry we will pull her right back in and do it over again. great guy everyone loved him but he sold it to some new guys. i talked to one other guy on the phone who i could just tell was right on with everything, sounded like a real good straight talkin kinda guy. i will look to see what one he was from

im thinking that im gona pull my own bumpers separate the box pull the head/tail lights and all that other stuff to get a better price.

topsites
07-05-2009, 11:13 PM
We have a Maaco outlet here in town that has the reputation of turning out some of the best paint jobs
all around, but then it ain't no 3-400 neither... Not even close, not that I know of.

So for that kind of money, I'd ask around.
I had a fellow painted a car of mine many years ago for about that, backyard deal.
It looked decent, wasn't factory finish but it made a great improvement and lasted more than a few years.

You just have to remember, with them kind of paint jobs?
No brushing or scrubbing off dirt with brushes or bristles, I wouldn't even use a high pressure nozzle.
You can only use soft sponges or cloth to wash it, the paint is on there good but you still have to be
careful so you don't swipe a whole area down-to-the-metal clean by accident.

Still, I have no complaints, it beats a $40 spray paint can job by a mile.

You might also try Earl Scheib...
http://www.earlscheib.com/

M and S Lawn Care
07-05-2009, 11:26 PM
hey buddy!! haha

hey no joke maaco does kick asswork i dont care what anyone says. they painted my enclosed trailer and did a awesome job for 800 when the next best price i got was around 2700. thye did great work, no overspray no orange peel looks great.

im going to take my 08 truck into them as soon as i get a dull week. expect for a full color change to be around 1200 or a 1000. i use to know the owner of the one thats across from that big flea market (cant remember the town) his name was paul and he was a awesome guy. he actully painted my trailer twice becasue the first time it was like a dark forest green. i got all steamed up and made as soon as i saw it and paul goes dont worry we will pull her right back in and do it over again. great guy everyone loved him but he sold it to some new guys. i talked to one other guy on the phone who i could just tell was right on with everything, sounded like a real good straight talkin kinda guy. i will look to see what one he was from

im thinking that im gona pull my own bumpers separate the box pull the head/tail lights and all that other stuff to get a better price.

Thanks for the info pal :)

I'm getting the truck repaired somewhere else, but he refuses to paint the thing for less than 3K, because he refuses to do a cheap paint job, so I'm going to tell him that it's going straight to Maaco. Lol.

P.Services
07-05-2009, 11:32 PM
yeah i mow a body shop and he said he wont even touch it for less then 2k. thats what they all want is 2 or 3 g's

maaco for me to, i just cant wait till mines green

M and S Lawn Care
07-05-2009, 11:34 PM
Man, on that 08 though, I'd be tempted to spend 2-3 to make sure it's perfect.

My dad and I restore cars and paint some ourselves. Just the supplies for the last one we did was 2100.00! JUST THE PAINT PRODUCTS!!

Yes Yes, I know, why dont I paint it myself? Dad doesn't want my mess and the neighbors get pissed if they see us painting.. oh well.

P.Services
07-05-2009, 11:44 PM
naaa its a work truck like you say its gona get beat up i just want it green and bright.

i painted my old dodge myself and it looked great from far but far from great.

VirginiaLawnCare
07-05-2009, 11:48 PM
naaa its a work truck like you say its gona get beat up i just want it green and bright.

i painted my old dodge myself and it looked great from far but far from great.

That's on you then I am big on my work trucks looking good so me personally I would care about how the paint looks.

P.Services
07-05-2009, 11:56 PM
what the f are you talking about? what about a skid? mine in the picture? what about it? Christ man read what you write before you post it.

nosparkplugs
07-05-2009, 11:59 PM
Buddy of mine used Macco for his older GMC truck not his work truck either he was not looking for something expensive he spent about 1,000 bucks. He was egar to show me the paint job. He was laughing at the shatty job himself the painters did not tape off any of the body trim or emblems. I will say Macco did disclose their is minimal prep in the economy paint job, so you pay for what you get. A good paint job involves many hours of prep work, at these cheap price's, your paying for cheap paint, labor & minimal prep work.

For the money Macco is hard to beat, the complaints against Macco are cheap customers expecting a $4,000 paint job for under $1,000 bucks.

Another option is Dupli-Colors Professional Garage paint system.

So if your know what your getting from Macco upfront you will be happy.

Me I would not waste my money, I like nice paint jobs even on a work truck.

M and S Lawn Care
07-06-2009, 12:03 AM
this is the fastest growing thread I have ever started.

P.Services
07-06-2009, 12:05 AM
well you didnt start the michigan thread but you sure keep it going with useless bs. :)

M and S Lawn Care
07-06-2009, 12:07 AM
I know, I like to keep the ball rolling. :)

How about the weather today?

EA Quinn
07-06-2009, 06:25 PM
We've had three trucks painted at Maaco. Two of them were brand new straight from the dealers lot. They exceeded my expectations. No overspray, great job. Definately worth it. Like you said before, most body shops wanted crazy money to paint these trucks. Although they were brand new, they are just work trucks and we didn't need to spend a fortune on paint. One of the paint jobs is going on three years old and still looks perfect. We are having them paint our mulch truck this winter.

AintNoFun
07-06-2009, 09:50 PM
ive had 3 trucks painted by 2 different maacos, one was even done last month.. for a work truck i think they are pretty good, but ive def seen some hackjobs come out of there as well.. ive also spent up to 4g on paint jobs with really high end paint shops and had more fish eyes on it then an aquarium... but all in all i was pretty happy with maaco.....

South Florida Lawns
07-12-2009, 04:21 PM
I say do it yourself and save even more. You can have the whole truck sanded and masked on a sat, then have it painted and done by sunday night.

DoetschOutdoor
07-12-2009, 05:46 PM
I took a truck I was test driving to a buddy's auto shop and he said they have been using the new Maaco for the past year with great results on small projects. Our local Maaco had a BAD rap for orange peel, overspray, etc. and then they closed down. New owner came in and totally changed things up, they have 20 cars in the parking lot every single day coming and going. I got a few different quotes from them, all ranging in price due to prep time so it seems like just pay a few extra bucks for the prep and your good to go. I too am looking for a newer work truck and may end up using Maaco here shortly.

ajordan193
02-06-2010, 01:43 PM
Anyone have pictures of their truck after a maaco paint job?

MLI
02-06-2010, 03:05 PM
cab was red from factory.

MLI
02-06-2010, 03:06 PM
truck was blue

ajordan193
02-06-2010, 03:20 PM
cab was red from factory.

Wow, that looks awesome. Were you happy overall with the job they did? What did they charge you?

MLI
02-06-2010, 03:25 PM
I was happy for the price.....think it was around $550 for just the cab. I looked at it this way.....for the price, you can freshen the truck up every 3-4 yrs and keep it looking new! No way am I going to pay $1000's only to have an employee scratch it up the next day. These are work trucks!

ajordan193
02-06-2010, 03:39 PM
Thanks for the info, What did you pay to have that obs F350 repainted. I'm redoing one almost exactly like that one. Trucks look great, thanks for the pics.

Lawn Enforcer
02-08-2010, 03:42 PM
I was happy for the price.....think it was around $550 for just the cab. I looked at it this way.....for the price, you can freshen the truck up every 3-4 yrs and keep it looking new! No way am I going to pay $1000's only to have an employee scratch it up the next day. These are work trucks!

Wow, that looks really good. Now what did you get for $550? The basic paint package or what? I plan on painting the cab of my truck next summer, and Maaco is looking like a better option every day.

MLI
02-08-2010, 05:04 PM
just for paint. Also that truck was painted in 03 so prices may change, but im sure it is still in the ballpark.

Lawn Enforcer
02-09-2010, 01:53 AM
just for paint. Also that truck was painted in 03 so prices may change, but im sure it is still in the ballpark.

Excellent. Thanks for the info sir!

P.Services
02-09-2010, 02:35 AM
I'm painting stuff right now. Good god do I hate it!!! And I suck at it soooooo bad!!! I think a lot of it has to do with temperature. I painted my dodge in the summer and didn't have a run on it. Now I'm panting a snowplow in a luke warm shop and runs runs runs everywhere!!! I hate it!!
Posted via Mobile Device