PDA

View Full Version : Just getting started, got some mower Q's

PNSLawncare
07-06-2009, 12:35 AM
Ok all, i got a couple accounts already, just your typical residential suburb lots,

i need a new mower because my 4hp push snapper is a pain in the arse.

anyways went to lowes today and had my eye on 2 mowers.

they had a really nice john deer, John Deere 8.75 Torque JS45 21" Cut Self-Propelled Gas Mower a return for 376$. but i read really bad reviews about the soft easily bendable shaft and constant replacing fuel filters and spark plugs.

so after some more looking, my dad is a ANTI briggs and stratton engine user( he is a ex employee go figure lol) so we found a Husqvarna with a honda engine. Husqvarna
160cc 21" Self-Propelled Gas Push Mower, heres the link
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=309074-46716-961430042&lpage=none

but its pricey at 374$

with some more looking we came across a nice troy built with a honda motor.
its 312$ same specs as above
Troy-Bilt
160cc 21" Cut Self-Propelled Gas Push Mower
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=303527-270-TB240&lpage=none

both mowers are similar, both offer honda motors.

whats your opinion on whats the best?

we found a Husqvarna trimmer for 199 thats also very nice.

the reviews for Husqvarnas are way more positive then any other brand.

thanks all

btw our company is just father and son ran.

LSU_LAWNBOY
07-06-2009, 02:37 AM
troy bilt will be fine, but u need to upgrade to a bigger mower or a riding one in the future

PNSLawncare
07-06-2009, 03:12 AM
Yes, in the future i will upgrade, but as of now we only have a few residential accounts.

so nothing big is needed, and i would LOVE a zerio turn mower, but financing a few high cost mowers and everything else including trailers is just out of the question.

i want to start out small, and then as i get more money i will put it all back into the business.

we both work full time jobs during the week and take care of the accounts on the weekends.

birdman0494
07-06-2009, 03:35 AM
try the troybilt with the honda engine that self propelled it runs you about 300-350 at lowes and that is an amazing mower its been beat up more then punching bag

PNSLawncare
07-06-2009, 03:50 AM
Yes, thats the one i got marked above, its the one i have picked out.

next weekend ill have it home :)

supercuts
07-07-2009, 08:08 PM
be smart, if your going to do this for a while start a relationship with a local dealer. he will take care of you far quicker than any chain store. he will also make you a bit more of a priority if he knows your commerical. go in, say hi, tell him your growing and want to do your business in his store and go from there. if it costs you an extra $25-$50 for the mower, you'll make it back when they fix it quick for you and keep you going

pitrack
07-08-2009, 01:55 AM
be smart, if your going to do this for a while start a relationship with a local dealer. he will take care of you far quicker than any chain store. he will also make you a bit more of a priority if he knows your commerical. go in, say hi, tell him your growing and want to do your business in his store and go from there. if it costs you an extra $25-$50 for the mower, you'll make it back when they fix it quick for you and keep you going

Good point. That is, if you can find a mower at a dealer in your price range.

bohiaa
07-08-2009, 09:36 AM
God I hate john Deer

david shumaker
07-08-2009, 07:06 PM
I just bought a Snapper homeowner. It has a Briggs engine, but it has plenty of power and cuts good. Sears sells Snapper now. I don't use a 21" all day, So I really didn't need a commercial model. Sears has the Snapper on their website.

pitrack
07-09-2009, 12:49 AM
God I hate john Deer

My 36" walk behind has been a great mower, so has my buddies. Not a lick of problems. *knock on wood

tinman
07-15-2009, 08:10 PM
smart to start slow. When ready to upgrade you can find good used commercial stuff on craigslist many times

AVLC
07-15-2009, 08:21 PM
since you already have some lawns i would look into a 36" 48" belt driven walkbehind still cheap and you will be able to use this as you main mower for many years to come