PDA

View Full Version : Best herbicide alternative to round up

celticcuts
07-06-2009, 12:26 PM
Hi all,

I am doing some commercial maintenance at a hotel the issue lies with a combination of curb weeds and weeds in beds. I would like to avoid round up. Is there a good powerful general herbicide or recipe that works well? I seem to be having trouble finding answers.

garydale
07-06-2009, 01:50 PM
Why not Round-up??? What is your concern with it?

rcreech
07-06-2009, 10:30 PM
Hi all,

I am doing some commercial maintenance at a hotel the issue lies with a combination of curb weeds and weeds in beds. I would like to avoid round up. Is there a good powerful general herbicide or recipe that works well? I seem to be having trouble finding answers.

I wouldn't use Roundup either.

I would recommend any 41-48% glyphosate though! :laugh:

PSUturf
07-06-2009, 10:35 PM
Roundup is the safest most effective non-selective herbicide on the market. Why would you want to use something else that would give poorer control?

Josh.S
07-07-2009, 03:04 AM
I wouldn't use Roundup either.

I would recommend any 41-48% glyphosate though! :laugh:

Nice rod... yeah, screw round up... use Razr Pro by NuFarm... 41% gly.

RigglePLC
07-07-2009, 08:35 AM
How about "Finale"? Or maybe "Diquat"? Or Scythe? Or maybe boiling water? Propane torch? Or pull them by hand?

Runner
07-09-2009, 08:23 PM
I would call a licensed applicator, and let THEM handle it. They will know what to put down, when, and at the right rate, to get the results desired (residual, or whatever). Not only that, they are covered for all this type of stuff, so it would be worry free...just bill it and make easy money.

Think Green
07-09-2009, 11:48 PM
Celticuts,
There isn't anything else on the market that will avoid Glyphosate, unless you want to use a hoe or a weed-puller. Either way, it is a backbreaker.
What seems to be the issue with the use of Glyphosate? Does the Hotel have the issues or is a more personal issue?
I highly follow Riggle on his answers. We use the same things he advised, and we don't have any problems with killing plants.
If training is the question, as round-up is the highest used herbicide in the U.S. today, then it only leads to reason that you are possibly not licensed to spray the property.

cmrgrounds
07-10-2009, 12:00 AM
I use 2 ounces of roundup, an ounce of scythe, and an ounce of sticker per gallon of water. If it gets applied when it is hot, ive seen weeds turn black in a matter of hours.

cmrgrounds
07-10-2009, 12:05 AM
Actually what i use isnt round up, last year before weed killer sky rocketed i bought a 30 gallon drum of killzall for $397.

Think Green
07-10-2009, 08:23 PM
CMR,
I understand now, as the only place that I see Hi-Yield's Killz-all is at the consumer nurseries. If I am not mistaken, it is 41% Glyphosate with no adjuvants added.
Buy you some 80/20 surfac and add it at an ounce per gallon to the killz-all and the stuff will work just fine.

Nosmo
07-11-2009, 06:29 AM
Hi all,

Are you wanting to avoid using Round UP because of the cost or ? Do you work for the hotel or just doing contract labor ? How about a license to apply chemicals -- do you have one ?

Nosmo

fergman
07-11-2009, 08:28 PM
i thought that scythe,diquate kills the top of the plant too fast and doesnt get to the root to truly kill anything???:confused:

RigglePLC
07-11-2009, 09:44 PM
Diquat is far more toxic than Roundup. Read the long list of toxic effects.
http://pmep.cce.cornell.edu/profiles/extoxnet/dienochlor-glyphosate/diquat-ext.html

Scythe--not safe, but lower toxicity
http://www.planetnatural.com/site/scythe-natural-herbicide.html

rcreech
07-11-2009, 09:54 PM
i thought that scythe,diquate kills the top of the plant too fast and doesnt get to the root to truly kill anything???:confused:

Depends on the weeds you are going after. The only time that you will get bit in a sitution like you discuss would be when you are dealing with plants with rhizomes, stolens or harder to kills.

Most weeds you are fine...but you just have to know what you are going after!

FYI,

It takes less then 24 hours for Gly (Roundup) to get into the roots. Under good growing conditions it doesn't even take that long! Monsanto did an extensive study back in 99 with gly and you could actually watch a video that was sped up and watch the gly (they used dye) go into the plant structures. So I think you are still ok in most cases.

Hogjaw
07-12-2009, 11:52 AM
salt, but it's bad on the concrete...........license, well, certainly no effect on getting great results either (don't know why this is always brought up)! Mine never get out of my billfold let alone to the mix.

The other chemicals mentioned should work.

greenskeeper79
07-12-2009, 06:33 PM
roundup once, pre-emergent applied after and you'll never have to touch those beds again for weeds.