PDA

View Full Version : Carfentrazone (Quicksilver) test

RigglePLC
07-06-2009, 10:23 PM
I tried some Carfentrazone(Quicksilver) on a few weeds on a vacant lot today. A neighbor mows it. After about 48 hours the youngest weed leaves turned completely brown. Older leaves slightly brown or not affected. Sprayed ground ivy, chickweed, oxalis, clover, dandelion, violets, mulberry tree. Leaves that were half of their adult size or smaller were most affected.
Carfentrazone is the new ingredient in Speedzone and Redzone.

I have not decided if I like this stuff or not.

Anybody else have results to show or talk about?

rcreech
07-06-2009, 10:27 PM
I tried some Carfentrazone(Quicksilver) on a few weeds on a vacant lot today. A neighbor mows it. After about 48 hours the youngest weed leaves turned completely brown. Older leaves slightly brown or not affected. Sprayed ground ivy, chickweed, oxalis, clover, dandelion, violets, mulberry tree. Leaves that were half of their adult size or smaller were most affected.

I have not decided if I like this stuff or not.

Anybody else have results to show or talk about?

Did you use the Carfentrazone alone or did you tank mix with something such as a 3-Way or something similar?

silverscapes
07-06-2009, 10:29 PM
i use speedzone and love it its great on everything the customers are just crazy how fast it kills (or shows death) wonderful product never tried redzone yet :usflag:

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
07-07-2009, 12:02 AM

:confused: Carfentrazone isn't new? It's always been in Speedzone-That's what gives it it's speed. Without Carfentrazone, it's just 3-way.

The only reason I can think of for spraying it alone, is if you are spraying a newly seeded area. Other than that it should be mixed with 3-way for best results. It definitely does great for showing visually that you sprayed-especially on sunny days:usflag:

RigglePLC
07-07-2009, 08:41 AM
I used carfentrazone by itself, because I wanted to separate the effects from the effects of a three way product.
Also I have a customer that did not want Threeway, but was OK with a product that was a hundred times less toxic, (on a per acre basis) approximately.

Still waiting...not sure if it will kill ground ivy, oxalis and violets. Or just burn them back a little.

rcreech
07-07-2009, 07:50 PM
I used carfentrazone by itself, because I wanted to separate the effects from the effects of a three way product.
Also I have a customer that did not want Threeway, but was OK with a product that was a hundred times less toxic, (on a per acre basis) approximately.

Still waiting...not sure if it will kill ground ivy, oxalis and violets. Or just burn them back a little.

Riggle,

If you look at the Universtiy data and the label...QS does a very poor job when used by itself.

I expect you will get very poor results when used alone and that is why I asked the questions I did.

It does an awesome job when used with Three Way! I would recommend using QS to suppliment your current products and they you can compare it to SpeedZone and/or RedZone.

QS is an awesome product when used as it is supposed to be used.

Keep us posted how it turns out...but I think I already know that is will do a poor job if used alone.

RC

foreplease
07-07-2009, 10:39 PM
I added QS to my mix for the first time this year. Only places that were really bad got it. None of the places I sprayed last year were bad enough, in my view, for this one bottle test drive. I liked the results and am really looking forward to seeing how these places look next year around May 1.

I have some before and after photos from a YMCA ball field I used it on if you would like to have me post them. It is a good example in that the weed problem was terrible. They are not spot on exact (same area) comparisons because I didn't know this is how I might use them someday. The "before" photos were just for me to refer to later. The "after" were taken May 18 so I could have a visual record of how it worked. The application was May 14.

I used 1 oz Millenium Ultra 2/M + 1 oz QS/A + 6 oz spreader sticker per 50 gal. It was 3.1 acres and I went over it two directions at half rate each pass.

whoopassonthebluegrass
07-07-2009, 10:44 PM
I've seen what I thought were great kills, only to find out that I got fantastic top-burn but didn't kill the weed. Mallows and other tap roots in particular.

lawn king
07-08-2009, 07:42 PM
Quicksilver to your primary BWC be it trimec,momentum,eliminate,etc. is what scythe is to roundup. As BASF would say, we dont make BWC, we (quicksilver) make broadleaf weed control perform better. Im impressed with it and have it on hand at all times. Do i use it on every acct, no too expensive, but its a nice product to have on hand when needed!

FdLLawnMan
07-08-2009, 11:41 PM

I do not let customers tell me what to use for weed control. If she didn't want 2,4-d you could have used Eliminate. Now, the weeds will come back, even using a high priced product like Carfentrazone.

rcreech
07-08-2009, 11:46 PM
I do not let customers tell me what to use for weed control. If she didn't want 2,4-d you could have used Eliminate. Now, the weeds will come back, even using a high priced product like Carfentrazone.

I totally agree!

I would not use a product based on "safety" as I would base it on the products performance!

That is why I think the organic guys have so much trouble.

Using "safe" products don't always get the best results. Guess you have to see what the customer is wanting most and you have to educate them to expect poor results!~ :dizzy:

whoopassonthebluegrass
07-09-2009, 01:04 AM
Guess you have to see what the customer is wanting most and you have to educate them to expect poor results!~ :dizzy:

Ah, sounds like the DNP!

Oh wait, I forgot: they don't care what "the customer" wants, and they lie like mad about the results...

rcreech
07-09-2009, 07:37 AM
Ah, sounds like the DNP!

Oh wait, I forgot: they don't care what "the customer" wants, and they lie like mad about the results...

:clapping:

Good point!