PDA

View Full Version : Horrible Wells Cargo trailer quality, should I complain or is the norm?

Johnson LCO
07-07-2009, 12:18 AM
The title says it all, I bought a 2009 Wells Cargo Road Force 20' trailer and it was a friday night trailer. When I went to pick it up I did a quick inspection and when they intalled the e-track they missed the stud a bunch of times (in excess of 10 times) and drilled right through the floor of the trailer. You can see the road through the bottom of the trailer and I mentioned it was sloppy and they said "put some wood putty in the holes." I was dissapointed but that was seemingly the only thing wrong until I went on a ladder this weekend to do some preventative maintenance. I know a guy that builds these and he mad the suggestion of coating the seams of the roof with aluminum roof coating and putting clearseal on the 1/4 bolts that hold the rail running along the top (on top of the butyl tape). When I went up there I noticed rust and decided to take a closer look. Almost none of the bolts were in securely, so water sat and rusted them, the rail, which should make a complete rectangle was cut too short and instead of getting another piece they put it on anyway and just put a giant amount of of the gray sealant they they use along the seams. Additionally, when I was tightening the bolts along the top I noticed many of them were not gripping anything, so they missed the metal channeling that it was supposed ot be secured to. Along one of the edges they missed 3 of them in a row, causing the rail to be loose, only being held by the butyl tape. It felt really loose and Im sure in time if I didnt remedy it, it would have come free and caused a lot of leaking.
Not many products are perfect these days, but after dropping $7200 on this trailer I am really disappointed to find how low the quality of this trailer was. Many members on here tout the quality of Wells Cargo trailers and I expected a lot more. I am wondering if people just dont look closely at this stuff or did I get a bad trailer? I spent some seriuos time and money to make this right becuase after i tightend everything up, air pockets developed in the caulk so I recaulked the whole roof and bought additional screws and bolts to make sure everythin was secure. I was going to complain to the dealer but was wondering if maybe my expectations were to high? The guy at the factory told me they cut a lot of jobs so maybe the quality is suffering. Anyway I was wondering if anyone else had any problems like this and what action they took.

pitrack
07-07-2009, 01:40 AM
I would be very upset if I were you. What you are describing sounds rediculous. It might be hard to prove anything now though since you did many of the repairs yourself.

sslopok
07-07-2009, 11:15 PM
Complaining to the company now is pretty useless now that you modified the thing, but I would bring it to someone's attention and see what happens. I would have taken it right back and either had it replaced with a better quality trailer or got a refund. I have checked over my 3 month old haulmark enclosed and everything seems to look as it should.
Sometimes I think it is better not to look over things after you have bought them, just pisses you off more:)

good luck,
sslopok

nnj18
07-07-2009, 11:17 PM
Fixing the problems yourself screwed you over even more now.
Posted via Mobile Device

Johnson LCO
07-07-2009, 11:19 PM
Obviously the rail is still too short and the holes still exist in the bottom of the trailer but complaining will probably be just a waste of my time. I know what you mean though, ignorance is bliss. BTW I have detailed pics of the trailer before I modified it, I will post them when I get a chance.

02DURAMAX
07-09-2009, 01:49 AM
Don't buy wells all you pay for is the name!!! and not quality...I paid just under $4500 for my trailer and is worth more than a pace or wells i was looking at buying !!

topsites
07-09-2009, 07:06 AM
I'd grab the title and the receipt and any paperwork and take that POS back where I bought it from.

South Florida Lawns
07-12-2009, 04:56 PM
Trailer companies are hit or miss. I have seen a lot of crap and it seems like many trailers are slapped together, with no real quality control. I think most enclosed trailers aren't made for commercial use. Pace Summit's are decent so is ATC and Featherlite. Take it to your dealer and tell them how dissapointed you are with your trailer and ask them what they can do for you.

SimonCX
07-12-2009, 07:00 PM
I have the same trailer, mine is 6 months and no problems. Everything is leak tight and none of the problems you are mentioning. Tires are half worn but I usually go through tires every 1.5 seasons. Did the dealer bolt something to the floor and take it off? From all the trailers I looked at wells cargo, higher model paces and carmate were built the best, the royal cargo and the cheaper model paces looked like they would fall apart after a week. Something doesn't seem right because every wells cargo I've seen doesn't have the problems after years of use. I would call wells cargo and see what they say.

supercuts
07-12-2009, 11:01 PM
i have a pace summit and have noticed many of my screws never hit the studs. espically in the front. the front roof piece has cracked for the 2nd time.......but are any really any better. i think im in the same boat as you.

want to feel better. i bought a brand new potoon boat for my family last july, one year ago. they have finally just figured out last week (yes one year later) why my boat ran so bad over the last year and constantly had water in the fuel. to top it all off, the problem they found is the same thing ive told 2 other dealers since it was a week old and throughout the year.

02DURAMAX
07-14-2009, 02:10 AM
I have the same trailer, mine is 6 months and no problems. Everything is leak tight and none of the problems you are mentioning. Tires are half worn but I usually go through tires every 1.5 seasons. Did the dealer bolt something to the floor and take it off? From all the trailers I looked at wells cargo, higher model paces and carmate were built the best, the royal cargo and the cheaper model paces looked like they would fall apart after a week. Something doesn't seem right because every wells cargo I've seen doesn't have the problems after years of use. I would call wells cargo and see what they say.

thats funny cause the guy that helped built my trailer said his last job was with wells and the quality control is much better with royal.... said wells is so big that the workers slack alot....

but who know...It does make sense though!!

Anyways I love mine,,,and probably paid half as much as u did!

SimonCX
07-14-2009, 09:04 PM
Good for you, but the royal cargo I looked at were not worth half of what they were asking.

02DURAMAX
07-14-2009, 09:58 PM
Good for you, but the royal cargo I looked at were not worth half of what they were asking.

what was there asking price and what size??