PDA

View Full Version : Burying drainage tube near utility lines

CK82
07-06-2009, 11:55 PM
Hey guys. I have a project to bury about 100ft. total of drain tube from two downspouts. There is a large utility box and one smaller box nearby, and I am almost certain that it will interfere with the burial of the tubing. Any suggestions here to complete this project?! In the picture attached, the tubing will be connected to the downspout in the upper left and will go down the hill (further to the upper left of the picture) I should be alright with the gas line (not certain yet thought). The problem is that about 20/25ft. out of the picture to the left there are the utility boxes that i would imagine have wiring running into this building in at least one area.

I cannot bring the grade up here, and go over the utilities as a result of the building sitting fairly low as is. Any suggestions would help, besides telling me to forget about it.

Thanks,
Chris

GreenLight
07-07-2009, 01:22 AM
Not trying to be a wise a%%, but Line location is generally a free service performed everywhere. Obviously it doesn't keep you from hitting the wires, but it helps tremendously in knowing where they are.

ryde307
07-07-2009, 10:15 AM
Not trying to be a wise a%%, but Line location is generally a free service performed everywhere. Obviously it doesn't keep you from hitting the wires, but it helps tremendously in knowing where they are.

X2 maybe its just the way you wrote it but sounds like you havent thought about having locates done. In a job like this it is a must. Here in mn you call 611 and go through the process then companies will come mark all utilities for you within 2 days. It won't tell you how deep but will tell you where the line is within 2 ft they say. Then go ahead and trench (asuming thats what your doing) and hand dig aroundand under the utility lines where marked.

White Gardens
07-07-2009, 03:15 PM
A couple of times on jobsites, I've been present when they marked the utilities and sometimes they can find out how deep it is if they have the right locator to do so.

Like the other replies, you at least need to know where the generally are at, and you might be able to work around them, or find them easily.

AWJ Services
07-07-2009, 03:52 PM
It is called a shovel.

Get the utilities located and hand dig across the utilities.
Hope you alloted appropriate time and labor for this.:)

ryde307
07-07-2009, 06:28 PM
A couple of times on jobsites, I've been present when they marked the utilities and sometimes they can find out how deep it is if they have the right locator to do so.

Like the other replies, you at least need to know where the generally are at, and you might be able to work around them, or find them easily.

Most have the ability to read depth but the locator is not suposed to realse that info some will if you are there and ask but wont count on it.
Really not much way around it besides the good ole shovel.

AWJ Services
07-07-2009, 10:29 PM
In Georgia it is against the law to use mechanised equipment within 2 foot of the utility and the marking company only as to be within 2 feet of the mark either way so that leads to a pretty big area that you have to hand shovel so even if you are told it is 3 ft deep you will still have to find it to visibly verify the depth unless you just want to hope you do not hit it.

I cross utilities everyday with 30+inch wide trenches.
Trust me you always need to find the utility first.

Junior M
07-07-2009, 10:35 PM
It is called a shovel.

Get the utilities located and hand dig across the utilities.
Hope you alloted appropriate time and labor for this.:)

In Georgia it is against the law to use mechanised equipment within 2 foot of the utility and the marking company only as to be within 2 feet of the mark either way so that leads to a pretty big area that you have to hand shovel so even if you are told it is 3 ft deep you will still have to find it to visibly verify the depth unless you just want to hope you do not hit it.

I cross utilities everyday with 30+inch wide trenches.
Trust me you always need to find the utility first.

You said everything I was thinking of saying once I opened this thread..

And awj, I thought you just had to dig to your depth within that 4 to 6ft and if it wasnt within that 4 to 6ft at your depth and you hit it outside of that area it isnt your problem?

AWJ Services
07-08-2009, 09:01 AM
And awj, I thought you just had to dig to your depth within that 4 to 6ft and if it wasnt within that 4 to 6ft at your depth and you hit it outside of that area it isnt your problem?

I think we are saying the same thing.
What happens if the locator is off 2 foot from utility with the mark and you then give the mark a 2 foot tolerance then that means you could hit the utilities if you dig within the 2 foot from the utility tolerance.
So anytime you hit the utilities digging close to the mark you can be held responsible that is why potholing is necassary.
But if mark is 10 foot off then that is a different story.

Each state has different laws so I would suggest you become familar with them.
Luckily I do not do much work in the downtown Atlanta area because I heard some parts of it are like a spiderweb of utilities in the ground.

Junior M
07-08-2009, 09:44 AM
I think we are saying the same thing.
What happens if the locator is off 2 foot from utility with the mark and you then give the mark a 2 foot tolerance then that means you could hit the utilities if you dig within the 2 foot from the utility tolerance.
So anytime you hit the utilities digging close to the mark you can be held responsible that is why potholing is necassary.
But if mark is 10 foot off then that is a different story.

Each state has different laws so I would suggest you become familar with them.
Luckily I do not do much work in the downtown Atlanta area because I heard some parts of it are like a spiderweb of utilities in the ground.
yeah, I think so to.

But my question was, lets say you are digging drainage and you only have to be say 2ft deep within that 4 to 6ft, do you dig to your depth and stop in that 4 to 6ft or do you over dig?

Here you dig 2ft on each side of the marking, I am asking about the depth(I know its different in each state) because I've never heard anyone address it when talking about locates.

CK82
07-09-2009, 08:35 AM
I realize that the utilities will have to be marked prior to any work being done. I didnt have the utility company come out yet to mark them because Im not ready to do the job. I do know for a fact that the drainage tube I am installing and the current utility lines will cross. My question is do I hand dig up to the markings and try to go above or under the lines with my drain tubing? Its only going to be a 4" drain tube, nothing too large. The utility lines will come into play I can guarantee that without having the property marked. I will have things marked prior to any work being done though, Im not a complete moron.

GreenLight
07-11-2009, 06:09 PM
I realize that the utilities will have to be marked prior to any work being done. I didnt have the utility company come out yet to mark them because Im not ready to do the job. I do know for a fact that the drainage tube I am installing and the current utility lines will cross. My question is do I hand dig up to the markings and try to go above or under the lines with my drain tubing? Its only going to be a 4" drain tube, nothing too large. The utility lines will come into play I can guarantee that without having the property marked. I will have things marked prior to any work being done though, Im not a complete moron.

1) Hand dig where it makes sense. Obviously if you are within a few feet of a marking you are going to hand dig. Cable and phone are generally going to be your biggest nightmares on short depth drainage. Dig slowly on the side of the markings and gently scoop upwards until you find the line...Next best step is try to pull it up and move it out of your way while working (not disengaging it, just gently pulling it out of the ground until you have enough space to stay clear of it) and then rebury...It's actually not bad once you find it..

2) Answer is yes and no on going above and below utilities. Generally for simple down spout drainage you rarely are going to be deep enough to hit a gas and power line in my area as they are both heavily inspected and are usually 28 - 36 inches deep by code. Doesn't mean you go in there with a trencher just means you won't be underneath them. As for Cable and phone, my money would be on you having to go underneath them, those slackers are rarely more than 6 inches deep here and it's certainly not rare to see a cable or telephone line right below the roots of the grass layer or an inch or two deep.

CK82
07-13-2009, 12:20 AM
Hey thanks for the reply. That makes sense, I figured my main concerns would be the phone and cable as you stated. It isnt a huge job, we should be able to hand dig almost everything regardless.

Thanks again,
Chris