PDA

View Full Version : How to kill Roaches

luv2fly
07-07-2009, 01:41 AM
What is the best thing to kill roaches in my house?

I've been in my house for 11 years and have not seen any bugs.

All of a sudden in the last 2 weeks I've seen 4 roaches.

Help

luv2fly

grass_cuttin_fool
07-07-2009, 08:28 AM
Richard Pryor says a 12 D is best for roaches..........sorry I couldnt help that.....when I saw that title I remember that from one of his comedy shows

humble1
07-07-2009, 09:56 AM
Dupont Advion cockroach gel bait.

Think Green
07-07-2009, 09:13 PM
luv2fly,
Advion is good stuff, and as it is in the gel form, you will want to really read the label on its application.
I never had roaches either until a neighbor 2 doors down moved in and the problems started. They fogged their house and the roaches marched to all the neighbors houses.
I had to completely put everything up--close all opened containers--seal all bags--do everything to the kitchen that could possibly be open. Apply the gel to the drawer lining on the outside of the rails and slide wheels. Do all cracks and hidden crevaces with the gel. I pulled off my wall plates and applied a border of gel around the cap. You have to think that roaches are flat and will crawl into spaces you wouldn't think they could get into.
My exterminator, told us to apply Borid (Boric's Acid) in the attic around the flooring etc.
You can also use the glue traps, as they are relatively cheap to just fill them up with bugs and throw them away---------Outside.
You will have to get the roaches under control before they develope egg sacs.
I use Bifen in the kitchen with small windex bottle set to the jet setting. I follow the directions on mixture and apply it to all the cracks and crevaces, and under the appliances where these little devils hide. Take note of things like the toaster--microwave--oven or any other heat source, that the roach uses these areas to breed and they can go rampid in just a couple of weeks...

grandview (2006)
07-07-2009, 09:52 PM
If you seen one you have 1,000's in there. Get the tent out.

humble1
07-07-2009, 10:11 PM
luv2fly,
Advion is good stuff, and as it is in the gel form, you will want to really read the label on its application.
I never had roaches either until a neighbor 2 doors down moved in and the problems started. They fogged their house and the roaches marched to all the neighbors houses.
I had to completely put everything up--close all opened containers--seal all bags--do everything to the kitchen that could possibly be open. Apply the gel to the drawer lining on the outside of the rails and slide wheels. Do all cracks and hidden crevaces with the gel. I pulled off my wall plates and applied a border of gel around the cap. You have to think that roaches are flat and will crawl into spaces you wouldn't think they could get into.
My exterminator, told us to apply Borid (Boric's Acid) in the attic around the flooring etc.
You can also use the glue traps, as they are relatively cheap to just fill them up with bugs and throw them away---------Outside.
You will have to get the roaches under control before they develope egg sacs.
I use Bifen in the kitchen with small windex bottle set to the jet setting. I follow the directions on mixture and apply it to all the cracks and crevaces, and under the appliances where these little devils hide. Take note of things like the toaster--microwave--oven or any other heat source, that the roach uses these areas to breed and they can go rampid in just a couple of weeks...

The one thing I would say to use in lieu of the bifen is to mix a microencapsulated product with a compatable Insect Growth regulator. The insect growth regulator will mess up the younger ones before they molt to become adults, makes them steril, twists them up to look freakish. Nice-
The micro encap product will last longer, and will contact kill, the bait will continue to kill as they canobolize dead cockroaches.

Make sure to treat thoughroughly under the fridge they like the heat from the motor, under and behind, as well as stoves, spray all baseboard, anyplace where there is change having a crack or crevise. You can use flushing agents to find where they are, permethrin based products cause them to get exited for some reason they will run all over the place. So if you dont see them squirt some in, if they are there they come flying out. Let us know how that works out for you.

Think Green
07-07-2009, 10:42 PM
Humble1,
Thanks for backing me up!
I use "Demand" CS--Lambda Cyhalothrin 9.7% in the encapsulated suspension from Zeneca.
I bought this from my exterminator years ago, and this little 8 oz. bottle has done wonders.

Luv2Fly,
Keep in mind you can buy the Lambda Cyhalothrin in stores but it is in lesser strength formulations and it isnt the CS formulation. Which ever, read that label!!!!!! I don't use it on or near the countertops, because of the empacsulated product. I don't trust anything that leaves a residue on my food surfaces. The encapsulated products dry on the surface and leave behind a little bubble of chemical if you want to call it that!!!!!!
This product I purchased, is or at the time, was only purchasable by licensed operator's in structural pest control. Don't be misled by the other brands.
Permethrin will flush the roaches out of the hiding places and then band them with the Bifenethrin. Keep this fact, some of these chems will stain walls--baseboards--drapes, so read the label for more adequate educating. I don't have the current label on my bottle, so without googleing, I can't give you any more info.
Good Luck!

DLCS
07-08-2009, 12:40 AM
Never spray in the kitchen to kill roaches. Roaches(German) will automatically go to the kitchen seeking food. You want them there so they will eat the gel bait. if you spray they will run to other parts of the house and make it more of a pita. Just use baits in the kitchen and glue boards. Put the bait on water pipes under the sink too. Also, use bait in your basement on the water pipes. Set a bomb off under the fridge to begin with though. Treat the perrimeters of all the other rooms with home defense or Demon and be sure to treat the outside perimeter very well.

I've been to this circus many of times as I got a filthy elderly neighbor who has roaches. A few years ago we started seeing them, more and more. I've learned a little watching the exterminator treat our home many times. I have been in a fight with our city and my neighbor, and Lutherna Social services, which I was threatened with arrest, to get this mess cleaned up. We only see migrating roaches in the late summer from her place, really weird. My advice would be to seek help from a professional though and try to get the neighbor to treat their house responsibly. You can treat a house for roaches without driving them to the neighbors.

coiclawn
07-08-2009, 08:23 AM
Much like with a problem with weeds, fungus etc.. outside the first step is to i.d. the problem. What kind of roaches are you seeing? American, german,australian etc.. Gel baits are the best option depending on the type you have. Unless they're german roaches you will be better off treating the perimeter of the house to prevent the problem from getting worse. There are a lot of sprays and granule products labeled for roach control around the outside and shrub areas. But first i.d. the problem it will make the job much easier.

MesaLawn
07-08-2009, 02:40 PM
Much like with a problem with weeds, fungus etc.. outside the first step is to i.d. the problem. What kind of roaches are you seeing? American, german,australian etc..

Agree ID first. There are types like the Pennsylvania Wood Roach that don't really infest your house. But sometimes make their way in like any other outdoor bug. You could do a perimeter treatment and try to seal up anywhere they could be getting in. Don't want to have any rotting wood pile close to the house.

bug-guy
07-08-2009, 08:39 PM
id is important but there are alot of good acvice already given here.
my choice would be a bifen product outside the home. spray all areas, mulch, plant beddings, along the structured base aleast 1 ft up and out. around all openings(door and windows) all crack and crevices along with all plumbing and electrical penatrations. power spray all mulch beds.
inside (if i did not know the id or was just doing PM) i would choose a non-repellant like phantom or transport (which was recently labeled for indoors)

ArizPestWeed
07-09-2009, 01:05 AM
Besides Bug-guy ideas , the only good advice was to ID .
You need to know if they are Germans or and other type .
If you have only seen 4 , you are doing good .
Most bugs come in under the doors , unless you have a old home with lots of creaks and crevices , anyway , do as Bug guy says and you'll be fine

id is important but there are alot of good acvice already given here.
my choice would be a bifen product outside the home. spray all areas, mulch, plant beddings, along the structured base aleast 1 ft up and out. around all openings(door and windows) all crack and crevices along with all plumbing and electrical penatrations. power spray all mulch beds.
inside (if i did not know the id or was just doing PM) i would choose a non-repellant like phantom or transport (which was recently labeled for indoors)

DLCS
07-10-2009, 04:23 PM
luv2fly,

How you coming along? I know what your going through, my neighbors problem, which is now my problem is back. I found a couple in my house half dead this morning.:gunsfirin Why can't they just die outside. I'm so sick of dealing with some one elses problem. Anyone use Suspend SC? I sprayed as a perimeter spray around my home a month ago. seems to work slowly. i called my exterminator today and they are suppose to come over next week and treat my house.

americanlawn
07-10-2009, 08:01 PM
We moved into an apartment in Oak Cliff (Dallas, TX) back in early 1979. We saw a few cockroaches during the day. But if we woke up during the night, we saw dozens of them crawling around the kitchen. So the apt manager called an exterminator. Seems there were several "chicken parts" thrown behind the refrigerater by the previous tenants (a&r@-americans who never paid their rent).

While I do my best to turn my head regarding certain American "minorities", the STATS DO NOT LIE. I think all reading this know what/who I'm talking about --sad, but true.

Bottom line: best control of cockroaches is to remove their food source. Don't throw unwanted chicken parts behind the fridge (including the KFC carton). :hammerhead:

:dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:

gregory
07-11-2009, 02:43 PM
use a vacuum cleaner and suck up all the egg sacs under the sink, behind the Refrigerator, Stove, in the cabinets, Etc Etc. Look for food sources such as empty soda cans or cookie crumbs. Grease behind the stove or above it is also a food source that must be eliminated. Sanitation is KEY to Cockroach control and a big point . Then besides a good perimeter spray use PRECOR 2000 PLUS inside the house. While Precor is labeled for Fleas & Ticks, it does a great job on Cockroaches and has a 210 day residual. Because it comes In a aerosol can that shoots a very fine droplets, it mists or drifts every where.

Vacuum Cleaner is good for Spider control also. A Moth Ball in the bag will kill what ever insect you suck up.

PestPro
07-12-2009, 01:00 AM
KILL ROACHES: As you know follow the label. But first you have to determine what kind of cockroach it is. Is it Fat or oval and black or a shinny reddish brown? Or is it skinny and have a tan strip on it back?

For or Oval is an Orientall or American Roaches (waterbug). Make sure you have no water leaks in your home. if you dont, then just treating around the founation on the outside should do the trick.

If if it tan, that is a German cockroach. You can spray and spray and never ger rid of them. You will have to use a gel bait and dust. DO NOT SPRAY ON TOP OF THE DUST OR SPRAY FIRST THE DUST RIGHT AFTER. That will contaimate the bait. And of course fogging the place just moves them deeper into the walls. And as you said they will come back after just a few days.

Gel bait: Maxforce, is the best
Liquid: Talstar, Demand CS,