PDA

View Full Version : My xcu is melting

VARMIT COMMISSION
07-07-2009, 08:25 AM
Last week when the temps were above 100 degrees my 39-0-0 XCU started to melt in my PG. When I arrived at my next lawn the top 1" of the fert in the hopper was hard. I would have to remove it and crumble it up with my gloved hands. I even left the cover off several times to keep the humidity and heat lower. By the end of the day the bottom of the hopper looked like ice sickles. It looked like I had washed off the PG with a water hose in sub-zero temps. I have never had a problem with any granular fert. I was not using the sprayer because my lawns are clean. Just throwing fert. Anyone else having problems with XCU either?

RigglePLC
07-07-2009, 09:03 PM
I have not used XCU in hot weather. But last year when I use a high-nitrogen product--it was difficult because it became lumpy in storage. And it became hardened up overnight at the bottom of the hopper on my Perma Green Ultra. Can't help you--but I will ask my fert dealer. He is knowledgable.

Think Green
07-07-2009, 09:46 PM
Varmit,
I thought the XCU "Extreme Coated Urea" was a slower release and would not subdue these problems. I mean, it is not like applying 33-0-0, those highly saltic quick release ferts. Hence the name XCU--I was under the impression that it didn't dissolve that quick.
I need to do some research.!!

Think Green
07-07-2009, 10:07 PM
There is a product called Agritain that is mixed with the Nitrogen granule that stablizes it! Agritain inhibits both conversion of urea into ammonia and the conversion of ammonia into nitrate. There has to have been another factor that inhibited the XCU and it must have been the Polymer coated Sulfur. The polymer can't handle the heat and it melted exposing the sulfur to the moisture.

Any time I apply a fast dissloving urea in granular, it will start to dissolve the minute it leaves the bag.

Have you contacted the supplier to inquire some answers?

rcreech
07-07-2009, 11:36 PM
I have never used XCU but I will tell you that when it is hot and hudmid...any fert containing N will absorb moisure and get sticky. My fert (30-0-10 50%SCU) does the same thing.

The best and easiest fix is to USE YOUR HOPPER COVER. I only use my hopper cover when it is hot and humid and that really helps a ton!

I really don't think it is a product issue as much as just fighting the elements.

Again, I have not used XCU but I have the same problems at time with my 30-0-10.

FdLLawnMan
07-08-2009, 07:05 AM
There is a product called Agritain that is mixed with the Nitrogen granule that stablizes it! Agritain inhibits both conversion of urea into ammonia and the conversion of ammonia into nitrate. There has to have been another factor that inhibited the XCU and it must have been the Polymer coated Sulfur. The polymer can't handle the heat and it melted exposing the sulfur to the moisture.

Any time I apply a fast dissloving urea in granular, it will start to dissolve the minute it leaves the bag.

Have you contacted the supplier to inquire some answers?

You are talking about Hydrexx which is made by Agrotain. You can buy either UMAXX or UFLEXX which already has been stabilized at the mixing plant or buy Hydrexx and mix it yourself in the tank with urea.
XCU is just another version of scu in which the sulfer coating has been drastically reduced due to cost and a somewhat improved polymer coating was used. If you are not using a cover and the humidity is high the prills will stick together.

americanlawn
07-08-2009, 07:04 PM
VARMIT - Is your hopper a LESCO or a Spyker? All we use is Spyker (for reasons like this). We've been using XCU since last spring. Never a prob unless we get rained on - then we head back to the shop, pressure wash the spreader(s). Next morning we empty out the spreaders (shop vac 'em too), then sprinkle a little oil dry in the bottom of the hoppers & scrape the impeller fins clean. Works for us.

(Hi A-Team buds, Mike & Rod) :waving:

VARMIT COMMISSION
07-08-2009, 09:49 PM
Yes my hopper is a Lesco. Could the sulfer content in the bag be causing this. I went from 14% to 6% sulfer by going with 43-0-0 instead of 39-0-0. I will see if this helps.

Think Green
07-08-2009, 10:09 PM
Varmit,
I agree with the masses, because you and I are in the humid areas, and any of these highly N products do start to melt before we get them on the turf. I use a cover on my spreader too. The funny thing is, before the end of a large run, the cover will start to sweat under the canopy like the green house effect.

RigglePLC
07-09-2009, 07:51 AM
As discussed above somewhere I am waxing my hopper with car wax. Seems to help--HOWEVER--it has been cool here this year. So far.