PDA

View Full Version : Here are the pics

moreira85
07-07-2009, 12:25 PM
Here are the pics I said i would post. It rained like crazy about every day in June. Any idea what this is on the soil? is it harmful to the lawn? and how to get rid of it if i have to.

ancjr
07-07-2009, 02:11 PM
It appears to be soil algae to me. If it is soil algae, improving drainage, aeration and overseeding is the best bet.

moreira85
07-07-2009, 03:01 PM
returned from lesco and he said it is from the excess rain we have had lately and poor drainage + compacted soil. the water just sits there and thats what occurs. once it dries it can just be raked off.
now i have to work on the next problem. i have what looks like spider webs in my lawn and it may be some type of white worm.

bx24
07-07-2009, 04:30 PM
are you worried about the green algae, the white baldes of grass or the weeds in there? Take your pick...

moreira85
07-07-2009, 04:57 PM
dont see white blades?

Hissing Cobra
07-07-2009, 05:58 PM
Your lawn is relatively new and is suffering a lot of problems that new lawns will suffer from. The first two years are the hardest but once the lawn matures, it will not be affected as much. What you have on the soil is green algae growth. There is nothing that you can do to help it. If we ever get to see the sun again, it will dry up.

That being said, your lawn looks pretty good but could definitely benefit from a CORE AERATION and an over-seeding of the SAME grass type that it was planted with. Of course, you cannot do that at this time because mother nature will surely give us high heat very soon. Apply your next application of Fertlizer/Merit and wait out the summer. During the last week of August, core aerate the entire lawn, re-seed and apply a starter fertilizer. Follow this up with another application of starter fertilizer during the last week of September.

Things you have to realize about your lawn are this:

1. There is NO PERFECT LAWN!
2. Lawns will get diseases/funguses, just like all living creatures. That means that it will suffer from Red Thread, Dollar Spot, Leaf Spot or many other diseases at one time or another.
3. Irrigation systems are totally awesome but the majority of the people out there use them incorrectly, thus increasing the disease outbreaks.
4. Core aerations should be done yearly at least once but may need to be done twice if the lawn is severely compacted.
5. Weeds/Crabgrass/Yellow Nutsedge, etc.... can creep into a well manicured lawn. They must be dealt with swiftly, BEFORE they get out of control.
6. Manicured lawns were not meant to be manicured. Mother Nature has decided that lawns should look like crap (look at the lawns in the highway medians) and she has decided to throw everything in her power at us crazy people who want them to look like carpets.

REMEMBER THIS: THERE IS NO PERFECT LAWN!

RedSquareLandscaping
07-07-2009, 06:00 PM
Hissing Cobra is right.
Maybe if you fill up those lower ares it could help

RAlmaroad
07-07-2009, 06:13 PM
It's your paint. You know them oil based primers just resist water. You should have used that outside acrylic stuff.

RedSquareLandscaping
07-07-2009, 06:18 PM
that could also be true

moreira85
07-07-2009, 10:17 PM
Your lawn is relatively new and is suffering a lot of problems that new lawns will suffer from. The first two years are the hardest but once the lawn matures, it will not be affected as much. What you have on the soil is green algae growth. There is nothing that you can do to help it. If we ever get to see the sun again, it will dry up.

That being said, your lawn looks pretty good but could definitely benefit from a CORE AERATION and an over-seeding of the SAME grass type that it was planted with. Of course, you cannot do that at this time because mother nature will surely give us high heat very soon. Apply your next application of Fertlizer/Merit and wait out the summer. During the last week of August, core aerate the entire lawn, re-seed and apply a starter fertilizer. Follow this up with another application of starter fertilizer during the last week of September.

Things you have to realize about your lawn are this:

1. There is NO PERFECT LAWN!
2. Lawns will get diseases/funguses, just like all living creatures. That means that it will suffer from Red Thread, Dollar Spot, Leaf Spot or many other diseases at one time or another.
3. Irrigation systems are totally awesome but the majority of the people out there use them incorrectly, thus increasing the disease outbreaks.
4. Core aerations should be done yearly at least once but may need to be done twice if the lawn is severely compacted.
5. Weeds/Crabgrass/Yellow Nutsedge, etc.... can creep into a well manicured lawn. They must be dealt with swiftly, BEFORE they get out of control.
6. Manicured lawns were not meant to be manicured. Mother Nature has decided that lawns should look like crap (look at the lawns in the highway medians) and she has decided to throw everything in her power at us crazy people who want them to look like carpets.

REMEMBER THIS: THERE IS NO PERFECT LAWN!

thanks again for the response! I will be putting down the merit and grub control on July 15th with my next application. I am planning on core aerating and overseeding at the end of august. you rock.

moreira85
07-07-2009, 10:19 PM
It's your paint. You know them oil based primers just resist water. You should have used that outside acrylic stuff.

what paint? i have vinyl siding.

exe weedman
07-08-2009, 06:29 AM
well said hissing cobra. I could not agree more!!

RedSquareLandscaping
07-08-2009, 02:27 PM
i use topsil

bx24
07-08-2009, 08:17 PM
dont see white blades?

take off the sun glasses:hammerhead: