PDA

View Full Version : bidding whole communities

CapitalLawnGroup
07-07-2009, 05:18 PM
I have been doing strictly residential homeowner, and commercial business owner properties, I am wanting to get into whole gated communities, and homeowners associations. Besides equipment and manpower, both of which I am good on, I could use advice from any who have the experience in bidding this kind of work.

What kind of formula's if any do you have/use for hedge trimming?
Do you bill by the number of individual homes, or the size of the entire community?

White Gardens
07-08-2009, 03:11 PM
I have been doing strictly residential homeowner, and commercial business owner properties, I am wanting to get into whole gated communities, and homeowners associations. Besides equipment and manpower, both of which I am good on, I could use advice from any who have the experience in bidding this kind of work.

What kind of formula's if any do you have/use for hedge trimming?
Do you bill by the number of individual homes, or the size of the entire community?

Usually you bill the Home Owners association. They take bids just like any commercial account, so I treat them like a commercial account.

My prices are generally higher than everyone else, so I don't get the contract, but that's fine with me as HO associations can be a nightmare to deal with.

I will say though, that I did get one call from 2 HO association and they said that the current guy is doing a horrible job, tired of going with the cheaper guy, and they want me to put another bid in this winter. So ultimately don't cater to these people on price just because you want the job. Stick to your guns, especially if you have a reputation for quality work. As soon as you lump your-self into the group of "cheaper guys" then that's what you'll become, and it's harder to move away from that.

CapitalLawnGroup
07-10-2009, 07:37 PM
But is your price calculated by a price per home x the amount of homes in the community? Another thing I have been running into trouble with is pricing on hedges. Any certain calculation you use per square foot or something with hedge trimming or do you just do by the time?

AGLA
07-10-2009, 08:13 PM
It sounds like a dangerous proposition to bid on whole communities if you don't have a handle on pricing. A little mistake multiplied is a big mistake. Get pricing down because these bigger HOAs have property managers that eat this situation for lunch.

Any chance that one of them has "invited" you to bid?.... has several others that will be coming up soon, has a really big house that he is building and will want you to landscape?