PDA

View Full Version : Rear End Sag, Need Help Please

burnthefurniture
07-07-2009, 06:03 PM
Hey I've got a 2006 1500 Silverado crewcab that I use as my tow vehicle in my business. Its a work/personal truck. Anyway, I've got several trailers, my 6x12 single axle for lawn work, a 6x18 tandem pipe for the tractor, excavator, and larger/longer materials. Anyway, the truck has the 5.3 and 4.10 gears, so power is not an issue, but what would you guys recommend to help me beef up the rear end for towing, it sags and sways a lot under load. I still want to retain some quality of ride unloaded and don't want to break the bank. Helper springs, airbags, etc. Thanks.

MLS MOW
07-07-2009, 11:15 PM
My company recently purchased F-250 SD and had them add to rear springs additional spring to increase load capacity (2000lbs) and reduce sway. It works great and only cost about $100.00 per side. The ride is still the same and we didn't have to go to the expense of airbags and compressor. This winter I ran the truck for plowing and was able to put 1200 lbs in salter and another 8-900lbs in bed and there was no sag or swaying problems.

Recommendation is try talking to a spring company, before going to the expense of adding airbags or something else.

burnthefurniture
07-08-2009, 12:11 AM
My company recently purchased F-250 SD and had them add to rear springs additional spring to increase load capacity (2000lbs) and reduce sway. It works great and only cost about $100.00 per side. The ride is still the same and we didn't have to go to the expense of airbags and compressor. This winter I ran the truck for plowing and was able to put 1200 lbs in salter and another 8-900lbs in bed and there was no sag or swaying problems.

Recommendation is try talking to a spring company, before going to the expense of adding airbags or something else.

You got that done at the dealership or where?

MLS MOW
07-08-2009, 12:19 AM
Local Heavy duty truck company, They specilalize in truck springs and installation. Also, had them re-rate truck from 3/4 ton to 1 ton so if I get stopped i have the adjusted weight requirement.

Gravel Rat
07-08-2009, 02:32 AM
Did you have a mis-print when you said 1500 I hope you meant 2500-3500.

If you are trying to do the work with a half ton your going to have rear axle problems. A half ton is meant for half a ton they are not designed for packing or towing a heavy trailer. The springs are pretty weak to start with so you don't bend the rear axle.

New springs are always the best. A new set of springs is cheaper than installing air bags etc. If you got weak springs air bags are not going to help they don't replace a worn out suspension.

burnthefurniture
07-08-2009, 08:39 AM
Did you have a mis-print when you said 1500 I hope you meant 2500-3500.

If you are trying to do the work with a half ton your going to have rear axle problems. A half ton is meant for half a ton they are not designed for packing or towing a heavy trailer. The springs are pretty weak to start with so you don't bend the rear axle.

New springs are always the best. A new set of springs is cheaper than installing air bags etc. If you got weak springs air bags are not going to help they don't replace a worn out suspension.

No misprint, it is a 1500. I am not overloading the truck, everything is well within spec for load carrying and towing, we have 3500's, 4500 dump, and a 5500 dump for towing and carrying the heavy loads. It is more convenient for me to use my 1500 for towing <4000 lbs on a trailer, which when loaded correctly is not bending the axle or anything. I am not speaking about worn out suspension, I simply want to have it a little bit stiffer out back not to try and turn a 1500 into a 3500HD but to help handle the small loads I put on it better.

seabee1
07-08-2009, 12:32 PM
just my opinion ,the spring shop that i used to work at we installed a ton of timbren load boosters ,just especially for people that did not want to dramatically change their ride .they will give you more capacity than any springs .they only come into play when the load is on the truck or if you bottom it out .they replace they bump rubber stops . they usually run about $300.00 installed .they do help stabilize they rear of they truck also,helping sway . they arnt to hard to put on lowering the dollars .http://www.timbren.com/aeon-rubber-springs.htm

MarcSmith
07-08-2009, 12:59 PM
just keep in mind that adding springs and airbags, does not automatically raise the capacity of the truck...

My f150 I added helper springs to counteract the sag. but ended going with a ck2500 as a crew truck for towing trailers. good middle of the road truck and insurance and registrations would not rape you...

bobbyr
07-08-2009, 04:17 PM
their is a few options out their you could go with the timbrens they do work very well or they do make a coil spring over load that installs on your axle and works with your leaf spring they take about 15min to install i have put a lot of them on and thet run about 100.00 they are getting hard to find though you could also buy a leaf spring overload kit that mounts on top of your oem stack they run about 175.00 to 225.00 thats what i got on my 350 super duty or you could bust loose and buy a air bag kit pretty spendy for what they do just my thought any of them would help firm up you handling if your shocks are gettting worn out i believe the brand is kyb or kby anyway they make a great shock for work trucks they will improve the handling them selves but not fix the sagging

Hawg City Lawns
07-15-2009, 12:35 PM
im having the same problem ive been looking into overload springs or even swapping springs from a 3/4 ton if they would fit air ride is out of the budget

seabee1
07-15-2009, 01:22 PM
usually they are only 1 extra leaf ,which you could add .but the timbren's are a lot less work and a lot more capacity .:)