PDA

View Full Version : Andersons Granular ??

nighthawk117
07-07-2009, 06:35 PM
Hey Guys, just wondering if anyone else is using Andersons this season and if you are happy with the results?? Reason for the post is that I have been using it for the last few years and have really liked the results and the product quality itself. Now this year is completely different, I know it has rained about every friggen day since April, But the turf health just doesnt seem to be there in comparison to another fert I used on a few other properties?? If you are using it, let me know what you think. :confused:

JWTurfguy
07-08-2009, 02:20 PM
I'm guessing the Anderson's fert was SCU-based. Is that also true of the other fert you used, or was it something containing MU, MESA, or something similar?

Unfortunately, with all the rain we had so far this season, SCU/XCU-based nitrogen sources haven't held up as well as we'd like. What didn't release faster than normal from all the moisture simply leached through the ground. That's part of the reason for all the red thread issues we've been seeing.

I'm not sure about the specifics in your case, but is it possible that the factors I just mentioned might have had something to do with what you've been seeing?

nighthawk117
07-08-2009, 05:04 PM
Yes, that is what I am seeing with the red thread, but also with crabgrass breakout ( I did two apps. 18-0-4 .103 dim. ). I dont know, they just dont look as nice as I want them to be. :wall

JWTurfguy
07-08-2009, 06:53 PM
Bear in mind, it could be a lot of things and not just the brand of fertilizer you used. Have you checked soil pH? All the rain we had can significantly impact crabgrass preemergent applications, so again, a lot of this might be a product of weather.

Check pH to make sure that's not the issue, and then try using a fertilizer with a better slow-release, preferably with a decent amount of iron. Where in MA are you located?

nighthawk117
07-08-2009, 07:00 PM
Yes, soil tests were done earlier. Honestly, I am just sick of the weather pattern. I have a small window to spray anything, let alone get anything else done. I am located in Northern Mass. Just had more thunderstorms again, and more coming tonight :dizzy: I have not seen weather like this in a long time !!