PDA

View Full Version : New customers

oakleaf
07-07-2009, 07:56 PM
I'm 14 and own a landscape design and construction business.

How do I get big jobs like you guys have? Patios and walls and stuff?

How do I bid jobs like that?

D Felix
07-07-2009, 08:39 PM
First off, congrats for being ambitious enough to want jobs like that.

However, that being said, there is soooo much that can (and does) go wrong with those jobs. It's not something to be taken lightly. At 14, there is no way you have the experience necessary to complete any normal patio job. Even with "4 weekly accounts"..... :rolleyes:

There is no legitimate company that would rent the equipment to you necessary to complete those jobs. You do not have the credit line (and I'm guessing the bank account) to purchase product to install. I have a hard time believing you have the insurance necessary to even think about it (you really should have a minimum of a million in liability).

Construction- yes, that's what it really is- is a serious business. It's can be easy to overlook certain things and really screw up a clients house. It's not a "mow, blow and go" situation, trust me.

My best advice is to WAIT to pursue those jobs. When you are a few years older (and actually have a drivers license!) find a job with another company that installs the type of jobs you are wanting to get into. LEARN at that job. GO TO SCHOOL and learn all you can about HORTICULTURE (yes, that's part of it too!) and BUSINESS. Along the way, go to manufacturers seminars and learn from those as well.

It's not as easy as digging a hole, throwing gravel and pavers in that hole.

Sheesh, now I think I remember why I quit coming around here (not directed at oakleaf, just a general statement)................... I think I have now finally given my last piece of advice on this site.

zedosix
07-07-2009, 09:24 PM
Get your licence first then start taking on small contracts, its the only way to get bigger ones if thats what you want. You must start at the bottom of the ladder to get to the top!

DVS Hardscaper
07-07-2009, 09:47 PM
You have to crawl before you walk and walk before you run.

Spend about 10 years mowing lawns. Over that course of time you will learn about landscaping. Take classes. Education is key. I did maintenance work for 15 year when I ventured into hardscaping. From day 1 we had success with hardscaping because one of my employees used to work for a medium size excavating company, so we benefited from his knowledge (in terms of grading, leveling, etc.). Then I had another employee that was a math wiz and had a knack for perfection. So figuring out radiuses and all that other stuff was a breeze.

Hardscaping is more construction related. You need excavating knowledge and skills. Carpentry skills. Math skills. Etc. Things you learn over time.

93Chevy
07-07-2009, 09:51 PM
Hey, guys, don't waste your time with this troll. Apparently he runs 3 crews. Notice how many accounts he has and his equipment. He's playing us.

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong and I'm sorry. But I call it like I see it.

JB1
07-07-2009, 09:53 PM
start shaving first.

DVS Hardscaper
07-07-2009, 09:58 PM
here we go!

Hickory Leaf vs Oak Leaf !

All I know is neither leaf is big enough for me!

93Chevy
07-07-2009, 10:02 PM
Hahaha.

What kind of leaves do you like? Hosta leaves are pretty big, but "Hosta Leaf" doesn't have a nice ring to it.

NewHorizon's Land
07-07-2009, 10:36 PM
Guys I did a little research on LS of this guy. Here is a post he made. He is playing us (or himself).

#7 Today, 08:12 PM
oakleaf
LawnSite Member Join Date: Jul 2009

My parents took out a 200K loan. I'm paying them back.

The crews aren't all mowing crews.

One maintenance crew that cuts crass and trims shrubs and weeds, etc.

One full time mulch crew, that, well, mulches.

One full time install crew that does plantings, walls, patios, etc.
4 weekly mowing accounts and growing

So OAKLEAF.... What's the real deal? How are you running three crews and all the equipment. I can't imagine there is that much "mulch work" and other work to run an entire crew and if you have this crew whats the problem with your hardscape crew?

Please shed some light for all of us and maybe even for your benefit.

DVS Hardscaper
07-07-2009, 11:12 PM
MBella is that you?

AztlanLC
07-08-2009, 08:09 AM
LS is going downhill