PDA

View Full Version : College for Landscaping

jeffslawnservice
07-07-2009, 11:29 PM
Hey guys, I've been on the site for about 6 or 7 months now and have learned alot just from reading other peoples post or threads. But I figured it was time to introduce myself and give a little background on how I got into the business. Well I'm 17 years old and am going into senior year and have been mowing lawns in the neighborhood since I was 13. I decided last year that I wanted to be a landscaper when I was older because I loved making peoples properties look good and always had a thing for doing landscape work. So I started to do a little advertising last fall and got a small amount of work, enough to buy myself a used 21'' lawn boy, a used echo weedwacker, and a used craftsman blower. Since then I have brought little thing such as a hedge trimmer and another weedwacker. But most of the money I make goes into the bank for college. I also work for a landscaper Monday to Friday and then do my accounts on the weekend and at night after work. I want to go full time some time but I want to go to school for landscaping. I live in Philadelphia and want to stay close so I can also focus on my business. My college choices are Temple, Delval, and Penn State Abington. I am thinking about going for horticulture and business management. But if anyone thinks that another major would be better let me know. As of now I am not trying to put alot of money back into my business but into the bank for college but I am trying to buy a truck( I have been working out of a minivan but I hate it and when I can borrow my buddies truck to mow it is so much better. So if anyone has any advice criticism or questions let me know.

Thanks for reading

-Jeff

DLAWNS
07-09-2009, 06:59 AM
Keep doing what you are doing and it sounds like a great idea to get a degree in horticulture and Business. Best of luck to you and if you have any questions, just ask!