PDA

View Full Version : Is this fungis?

QuadRacer041
07-08-2009, 06:33 AM
We have had a great deal of rain here in North Jersey so far this season. But I seem to have this same problem every year. I have posted pics before and the concensious was fungis. So I'm pretty sure this is too. I treated about 3 ago with Bayleton 1g applied at 3lbs. per 1000sq.(curetive rate) as per the label, and this picture was just taken about 5 minutes ago. Its says I can reapply no sooner then 14 so I am good to reapply but should I have too? Why would it need a second application? The problem has gotten better after the application but it is not totally cured. Any ideas?

turf hokie
07-08-2009, 06:39 AM
Looks like a fungus, probably dollar spot.

Fungicides this year have had their effective windows just about cut in half due to the weather.

One fungus application is not a cure all for the whole season. Most labels will tell you follow up applications may be needed.

Check to make sure the fungus is active and you need another app. That may just be damage that has not grown out yet.

Good luck

cpa4t9r
07-08-2009, 10:43 AM
If possible, studies have shown greatly diminished efficacy with granulars vs. liquids - at least for the big 3 around here i.e. dollar spot, brown patch, gray leaf spot.

As for you pics, can't tell without seeing the actual blades of the grass and what the temps have been but I would probably guess dollar spot or brown patch. Cool season grass & damp - the big 3 I mentioned and maybe pythium.

Right off the top of my head, a rule of thumb for the aforementioned diseases is 10-12 hours of continuous leaf wetness and nighttime temps of 50 - dollar spot; 60 - brown patch; 70 - pythium/GLS.

As for fungicides - try to find some liquid formulations if possible. The Qols (Heritage, Insignia, Disarm) give strong control for BP for 28 days, but be prepared for sticker shock. Another option is Armada - which has a Qol / DMI mixture - but it only gives you 21 days. Armada can be easily gotten around here from the local Co-Ops for about $60 per pouch (WSP). Should cover ~10K depending on rate. Rest of the Qols are cost prohibitive unless you are doing blanket apps on large properties.

Good luck.

QuadRacer041
07-08-2009, 01:08 PM
Looks like a fungus, probably dollar spot.

Fungicides this year have had their effective windows just about cut in half due to the weather.

One fungus application is not a cure all for the whole season. Most labels will tell you follow up applications may be needed.

Check to make sure the fungus is active and you need another app. That may just be damage that has not grown out yet.

Good luck

How do I check to see if the fungus is still active??

QuadRacer041
07-08-2009, 01:10 PM
Right off the top of my head, a rule of thumb for the aforementioned diseases is 10-12 hours of continuous leaf wetness and nighttime temps of 50 - dollar spot; 60 - brown patch; 70 - pythium/GLS.

Yup, sounds like the conditions here for the past 2 months.
I guess it really doesn't matter exactly what fungus it is, according to the label on the Bayleton they all are treated the same.......3lbs per 1000sq for curing.

Thanks for the info guys.

RigglePLC
07-08-2009, 09:38 PM
Red thread fungus has been very common out east this year. Look for tiny pink fibers on the grass. The Qols (the strobins group) work nicely on red thread (as listed above plus Compass). They do not work on dollar spot. To contro dollarspot and most other diseases look for Bayleton that you can dissolve in water, or maybe propoconizole, or better still--Immunox the retail form of the fungicide "Eagle".

QuadRacer041
07-09-2009, 06:19 AM
Doesn't look like red thread but here are some close up's of the blades.

dcgreenspro
07-09-2009, 07:19 AM
An active fungus ( such as red thread will give off some clues for ya). Active mycelium in the morning couple with the right conditions (grass lacking a little N,
cool 60-70) will be your first clue. I would bet you just got some hydrophobic soil underneath and maybe a quick warm up. Around here, with all the rain, roots are fat, short and lazy this year. We have had some high in the low 80's with no humidity that is actually worse than 90 with some humidity.
Even if it was red thread, dollar spot, etc.. THE LAST thing I would due would be to spray curatively on a lawn. Waste JMO

RigglePLC
07-09-2009, 07:44 AM
Not red thread--I would say dollarspot.

bx24
07-09-2009, 02:48 PM
All I will say is eagle 20ew! gone dude.

cpa4t9r
07-09-2009, 04:30 PM
Red thread fungus has been very common out east this year. Look for tiny pink fibers on the grass. The Qols (the strobins group) work nicely on red thread (as listed above plus Compass). They do not work on dollar spot. To contro dollarspot and most other diseases look for Bayleton that you can dissolve in water, or maybe propoconizole, or better still--Immunox the retail form of the fungicide "Eagle".

Used Armada for first app this year - conditions were ideal for DS in shady areas and BP in sunny. Qol (Compass) and DMI (Bayleton) so it gives a pretty complete profile w/21 day residual. Once it gets warm around these parts, DS is less of issue and BP/GLS comes into play.

turfsolutions
07-09-2009, 06:33 PM
Did you do any digging for insects? I have Black Turfgrass Antenia (sp?) eating some lawns right now including my own. If it is getting worse with the dryspell then check for insects. It could be either.