PDA

View Full Version : Flower Bed Weed Barrier

Kartanimal29
07-08-2009, 08:50 AM
I was wondering what everyone is using for a weed barrier paper ? I need to redo the beds at my place.

JNB Landscape
07-21-2009, 07:13 PM
Ive used commercial grade landscape fabric from lowes, home depot, etc.. So far it has worked well and customers are happy with it. Also put mulch on thick; that will help with SOME weed control. If you want to go cheap, Ive heard soaking newspaper in water them putting them down thick will do a good job. Ha. just my $0.02 :weightlifter:

clcare2
07-21-2009, 08:15 PM
Ive used commercial grade landscape fabric from lowes, home depot, etc.. So far it has worked well and customers are happy with it. Also put mulch on thick; that will help with SOME weed control. If you want to go cheap, Ive heard soaking newspaper in water them putting them down thick will do a good job. Ha. just my $0.02 :weightlifter:

Seriously, if you don't know what you are talking about, then don't say anything.

Landscape fabric is crap for weed control. Weeds will grow through the fabric.
What do you think mulch is? It will break down and and leave a nice organic layer and then you still have to pull weeds. You will get just as much weed control from the mulch itself. The best way to control weeds is to use a product like Preen.

4.3mudder
07-21-2009, 08:35 PM
Landscape fabric is crap, I mean crap. Preen. I have had good luck with it. I apply every couple months just in case.

david shumaker
07-21-2009, 10:02 PM
I don't like landscape fabric either. I've heard on here that Snapshot works good. On my full service accounts, I spot spray the weeds every week or two before they get big. It doesn't take long and keeps them under control.

93Chevy
07-21-2009, 10:06 PM
Don't use fabric. It's a pain to lay, and it doesn't work. The weed seeds will germinate in the mulch, and the roots from the weeds will attach to the fabric, making them difficult to near impossible to pull. What happens when you want to transplant or add more plants? You have to cut through the fabric and that's a dagon pain.

Preen works very well, I've had a lot of success with it.

openbook
07-21-2009, 10:48 PM
For a flower bed like annual flowers just a good dense layer of flowers will keep most weeds at bay, the ones that get tall pull.
I don't know if preen works or not I use it at my own house and I still get a few weeds, I have a good 3-4 inch layer of cedar mulch down too.

Weeds in my landscape- 0
Time spent pulling weeds this year- 5 minutes
Money spent on preen- 5-10 dollars
Cost of having a gorgeous landscape- priceless.
haha

Outdoors_Unlimited
07-21-2009, 11:58 PM
Fabric for the loss.

Preen for the win! (Treflan??)

I use preen on all my mulch nstalls, espically the bed care jobs. Will not eliminate them, but hey thats job security

WalkerMike98
07-22-2009, 12:08 AM
pendamethalin

Florida Gardener
07-22-2009, 01:16 AM
My Lesco guy says Ronstar and Snapshot work the best. One works better for broadleafs and one does better with grasses/sedges....forgot which for which though.