PDA

View Full Version : getting out

mbsudd
07-08-2009, 10:12 AM
anyone in south carolina looking for a quick 36 WB ive got one for sale. it comes with the step saver. only been used 4 times im getting out of the bussiness. asking $2100

bigmudder77
07-08-2009, 02:04 PM
wrong place to post

mbsudd
07-08-2009, 02:26 PM
ive got it posted in the for sale section also.

Junior M
07-08-2009, 02:29 PM
What part of the state are you located in?

mbsudd
07-08-2009, 02:43 PM
upstate between clemson and greenville also i have pics posted in the for sale section.

Kingram52
07-08-2009, 09:18 PM
Why you getting out?

mbsudd
07-09-2009, 10:41 AM
cant get no bussiness its costing me more than im making.

SangerLawn
07-09-2009, 01:41 PM

That doesn’t mean get out. No business makes money the first year. Normally you don’t even start to break even until half way through your second year. Quit if you want to but if you hold on and don’t get frustrated, things will turn around. Just give it time.

mbsudd
07-09-2009, 07:55 PM
yeah but everybody around me is pulling mowers how do you get bussiness when they got it all.

g21
07-09-2009, 08:05 PM
Learn the trade, become a good landscaper and run your company the right way...and you'll kick their butts!

lifetree
07-09-2009, 10:02 PM
Learn the trade, become a good landscaper and run your company the right way...and you'll kick their butts!

This is the best approach !!

BadRancher
07-10-2009, 01:23 AM

Don't roll over and quit. If we all had that attitude, we would be bowing to the Queen of England or we would have a USA and a CSA. I'm struggling my self, but I'm not quitting. Get self motivated, some flyers, a craigslist add and get the ball rolling. You can't expect 50 customers from 500 flyers (not saying you have done that, but you get the picture). Be optimistic.

mbsudd
07-10-2009, 10:07 AM
i have one job and thats my brother 30 bucks and and i cut it twice a month. my insurance is 60 a month alone.

mbsudd
07-10-2009, 10:22 AM
i have one job and thats my brother 30 bucks and and i cut it twice a month. my insurance is 60 a month alone.

Imeant it is 30 each time i cut i make 60 a month from it.

Kingram52
07-10-2009, 10:22 AM
How long you been in the business?

mbsudd
07-10-2009, 10:51 AM
just this year i bought all my stuff to get started but it is all paid for.and i did just pick up another job today but it is a once a month job so i got 2 jobs now. the thing is this is my living cause i lost my job i guess thats why im getting frustrated.

Mower4hire
07-10-2009, 11:03 AM
like me I pull my trailer just cause im to tired to unhook when i get done. my neighbor always asks if i just finished another lawn. i say just going to get something to eat or to the grocery store. i guess it looks like there doing business. gotta remember people have lost jobs and cant afford this type of service. I cut my prices a little just to kinda bring in business.

mbsudd
07-10-2009, 11:12 AM
i feel my prices are as reasonable as anybody I mean im charging 30 bucks for a yard that takes me a hour to cut there is alot of people charging 60 they get the jobs i cant even get people to pay me 30.

hackitdown
07-10-2009, 01:10 PM
Keep your stuff and get a job. Cut the 2 lawns on the side for extra income. Keep advertising and selling. Reduce or eliminate expenses.

Are you advertising? Do you get calls for estimates?

mbsudd
07-10-2009, 02:04 PM
Ive put out bussiness cards and put ad on craigslist. im probabley not advertising enough. ive had some good feedback from guys on here and im gonna stay in bussiness and work hard to get my name out there and do a good job and grow i think i just need to give it time Ive got 2 so i can get 20.

hackitdown
07-10-2009, 03:11 PM
Ive put out bussiness cards and put ad on craigslist. im probabley not advertising enough. ive had some good feedback from guys on here and im gonna stay in bussiness and work hard to get my name out there and do a good job and grow i think i just need to give it time Ive got 2 so i can get 20.

I think we have discovered the problem. Advertising is critical, you need to get the phone to ring.

Craigslist is ok, you can't beat the price. But if you really want to make a go of it, you should consider adding print advertising, direct mail, doorhangers, and other marketing methods. There are endless numbers of threads on this site with good information. I have added 8 new mowing customers this year, 6 were from advertising, 2 from referrals.

mbsudd
07-10-2009, 03:22 PM
what do you think about printing out my own flyers and put them in plastic bags with a rock or 2 and throwing them in driveways?

Lawn Pawn
07-10-2009, 04:25 PM
what do you think about printing out my own flyers and put them in plastic bags with a rock or 2 and throwing them in driveways?

Well...... they have been doing that here for about 15 years.. minus the rocks with the ...FREE... info / newspapers.

Vacant houses may have 10 to 50 papers on their steps or driveway!!! It's really nice in the Winter when you get them jammed in the snow blower.

So it is legal, and it must be working. Although I am baffled ##***???

1oldguy
07-10-2009, 04:32 PM
I agree with msbudd this is a tough business to start. I live in an area where there are pick ups and trailers with mowers every where you look. They come from outside the city area and the competition is tough.

It is my first year and I've put out signs and they do not last long. The competition and/or city takes them. I did get 2 clients from them.

I just ordered 500 door hangers as a test and hope to order more if I get a couple more clients. Getting a late start did not help.

mbsudd
07-10-2009, 05:12 PM
yeah thats me got started late i waited to i got all my equipment b4 i ever got any bussiness cards. i had to wait 6 weeks for my quick 36 wb to be shipped. it was late may b4 i even started giving out bussiness cards. im just gonna try a different advertising route.

Mower4hire
07-11-2009, 07:15 AM
I have Looked into getting those little plastic cardboard signs that stick in the ground. put your business name and phone number and what your business does stick them at the entrance of ALOT of neighborhoods and see what happens. If you have a tax ID and you report your earnings to the IRS then its an business advertising thing. Along with fuel, equipment, lunches and other stuff

g21
07-11-2009, 02:10 PM
Those signs can be real effective, but you want to consider the locations. If they are on DOT property and even city-owned right-of-ways, they will come pull them up and even fine you. But if your town doesn't bother you, they work! We used to have smaller versions of them make and posted them in planted beds on the outside of our commercial properties (with the owners permission) and they worked great! Now with the printing technologies, you can get full-color corriplast signs made up for a several bucks a piece.

Mower4hire
07-12-2009, 01:08 AM
One more thing you might try. Call local realtors, banks and property leasing agents. I mow alot of vacant houses in different neighborhoods. Some have been foreclosed on and some are for sale, others are houses for rent. They just might give you a list of houses to mow. Do a good job and they will call you back next year.

SangerLawn
07-12-2009, 07:18 AM
yeah but everybody around me is pulling mowers how do you get bussiness when they got it all.

I promise you, no one wakes up one morning and says….”I think I want to start a lawn care business” then crawls out of bed and goes to the computer and finds they mystically have 200 customers. Then walk to the garage to find 4 ztr mowers and 2 wb with 2 brand new trucks as 4 employees come pulling in the driveway.

Everyone in this business had to start somewhere and it all started with a though turned into action with a lot of patients. Your no different then anyone else…give it time and go door to door unless you found a gene. If you did find a gene give me his name because I could use him/her

levi1569
07-13-2009, 10:35 PM
I have picked up 3 new acounds in the past week by putting fliers in paper boxs. The other thing that I do is as soon as I get the message, I call them back. If it is a landscaping job and I have to call them with an estimate I keep them up to date with everything. Treat your customers with alot of respect and treat them like a person not a customer. This will go a long way!

dwight1moore
07-14-2009, 12:12 PM
dont throw in the towel just yet. this is my first official year and i have 15 yards i mow. my start was with mowing family members yards. i advertise in the local paper and i get quite a few calls from craigslist. every yard u get give them a few business cards and have them spread the word about you. it takes time to build up. good luck