PDA

View Full Version : Inspection Stations


mruiz
07-08-2009, 11:10 AM
I'm driving from NJ to Ky to pick up two trailers. 1. 20ft open 2. 16ft or 18ft open. They will piggyback. I will be driving my personaol truck no commerical tags or signs. The question is, Do I need to stop at the road side inspection stations on my way back to NJ?
Thanks in advance for your input.
Mike

Duffster
07-08-2009, 11:37 AM
I wouldn't

mruiz
07-08-2009, 06:34 PM
I wouldn't


I don't want to see flashing lights in my rearview

EagleGrounds
07-09-2009, 08:01 PM
Im pretty sure you are going to need to, at least here in ohio you wouldnt (ive only seen 1 station with in about 200 miles of here).

mruiz
07-09-2009, 08:08 PM
Im pretty sure you are going to need to, at least here in ohio you wouldnt (ive only seen 1 station with in about 200 miles of here).

Thanks EagleGrounds, I just want to be sure before opening up a can of worms.

salopez
07-09-2009, 09:33 PM
if your gross combined wieght is over 10k lbs you need to pull in. however they will most likely left lane you if the trailers are empty.

JB1
07-09-2009, 09:43 PM
I wouldn't


I wouldn't either.

GravelyNut
07-09-2009, 10:36 PM
if your gross combined wieght is over 10k lbs you need to pull in. however they will most likely left lane you if the trailers are empty.Safest thing to do is pull in. 75% of the time I get the bypass lane. the other 25% I do get weighed. Check out http://www.coopsareopen.com/ for the states you are going to go thru. Florida loves to weigh mine for some reason.

Duffster
07-09-2009, 11:25 PM
Here the sign says over 4 tons must weight.

GravelyNut
07-10-2009, 02:59 AM
Here the sign says over 4 tons must weight.
And I believe that also includes combo weights which counts me in.

LouisianaLawnboy
07-10-2009, 08:10 AM
Pull in and see what they tell u.
Posted via Mobile Device

mruiz
07-10-2009, 10:08 AM
Safest thing to do is pull in. 75% of the time I get the bypass lane. the other 25% I do get weighed. Check out http://www.coopsareopen.com/ for the states you are going to go thru. Florida loves to weigh mine for some reason.


Gravelynut, thanks for the link! This helps alot and answer many of the question from state to state.

ashelton
07-15-2009, 11:07 PM
Here the sign says over 4 tons must weight.

My 2500 weighs over that, am I supposed to stop if that is the case?

Duffster
07-15-2009, 11:13 PM
My 2500 weighs over that, am I supposed to stop if that is the case?

I don't know.

I never stop:nono::laugh:

GravelyNut
07-16-2009, 02:12 AM
My 2500 weighs over that, am I supposed to stop if that is the case?

Is your vehicle a commercial one? If so, in Fla it doesn't matter how little you weigh.

hackalot
07-16-2009, 05:58 AM
I'm driving from NJ to Ky to pick up two trailers. 1. 20ft open 2. 16ft or 18ft open. They will piggyback. I will be driving my personaol truck no commerical tags or signs. The question is, Do I need to stop at the road side inspection stations on my way back to NJ?
Thanks in advance for your input.
Mike

If these are tandem open utility trailers, the combined weight is about 6k#. Their would be no reason to stop at any weigh station.

PROCUT1
07-16-2009, 06:13 AM
I wouldnt either.

The guy who works a desk job and owns a pickup most likely doesnt know what DOT is let alone the laws for stopping there.

If it was my personal truck I would whiz on by. They'll come get me if they want me.

Hawg City Lawns
07-20-2009, 01:01 PM
they wont bother you trust me

GravelyNut
07-20-2009, 03:17 PM
they wont bother you trust me

Don't say that about Florida. Both the weigh stations and the Ag Inspection stations are open 24/7 and alot of times have the guys sitting just down the road from the the station.

supercuts
07-20-2009, 06:33 PM
i would play dumb

skennedy04
07-20-2009, 06:39 PM
I wouldnt stop.......the only time i stop here in Florida is at the Ag station when we are hauling horses.....if you don't they will come and get you.
Most signs say All Commercial Vehicles.

Hawg City Lawns
07-20-2009, 10:03 PM
if youre hauling them with your personal truck trust me they wont bother you they much rather catch a semi thats 5 pounds overweight or that has a clearance light out