PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to get a 5 foot trailer configured this way?

OKSooner
07-08-2009, 08:14 PM
This is the deal. I'm looking at getting some more equipment, but in order to do it I've got to have a bigger trailer. My 5x10 just isn't quite enough. Problem is, I'm working out of a storage unit that isn't big enough for anything wider than maybe a 6' trailer. I really don't want to set up a new shop. Can't do a 6 1/2 foot trailer, it just wouldn't squeeze in.

So, I'm interested something that looks something like this little beauty here with the side ramp...

http://www.tophattrailers.com/single_axle_trailers.html

EXCEPT: I want a dually. A dually with brakes. And everything south of the side ramp enclosed in 5' tall expanded steel, with lockups on the side for weedeaters, etc. I know the dually part might be a problem because of not enough room north of the wheelwell, but that's what I want.

Also the baddest backup lights on earth, so I can see while backing into my storage unit. I'll add the racks for blowers and stuff myself.

It absolutely can't be even one inch wider than 6'. I know 6 1/2 is a common size, but that's 1/2' too much. The ideal size might be 6x12.

And, I need to be able to pick it up here in my neck of the woods.

Any trailer dudes out there got any input?

YardBoss Lawncare
07-08-2009, 08:29 PM
I don't think i've ever seen a trailer like that with duals. Bigger tires, heavier axle maybe. I know what you mean about the storage buildings. I've been down that road myself. So, you have a 5x10 single axle right now. I don't know about a side gate on a trailer that small. If you did have one, it's going to be narrow. 2' to 3' wide, max. As for the expanded metal sides, you can do that. Here's a trailer I built last Winter. It was just a project of mine, not something I used alot. I run a big 16' tandem landscape full time.

OKSooner
07-09-2009, 08:13 AM
Thanks for the reply. Actually, if that side gate were 3' wide, or maybe about 38", that would be even better than a regular 4' or 5' gate.

pitrack
07-09-2009, 06:24 PM
How much weight do you plan on carrying with it? Is there a NEED for a dual axle? And brakes?

I don't think i've ever seen a trailer like that with duals. Bigger tires, heavier axle maybe. I know what you mean about the storage buildings. I've been down that road myself. So, you have a 5x10 single axle right now. I don't know about a side gate on a trailer that small. If you did have one, it's going to be narrow. 2' to 3' wide, max. As for the expanded metal sides, you can do that. Here's a trailer I built last Winter. It was just a project of mine, not something I used alot. I run a big 16' tandem landscape full time.

Love the truck
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i248/pitrack/DSC_0215-Copy.jpg

YardBoss Lawncare
07-09-2009, 07:01 PM
Thanks man. Here's a sad story for ya...July 4th of 2008 I had my big trailer hooked on, 200 gallon sprayer full of chemical, Scag in the trailer, loaded down to the max. I was cruising down the highway with the cruise set at 68 or so, and some kids were coming down a dirt road, cruisin and boozin (it was the 4th remember). They tried to jump the highway without stopping at their stop sign. I guess they saw me coming and thought they could make it across. I T-boned them just as square as you could t-bone somebody. It totalled out my Dodge. My air bags went off and saved me. I wasn't buckled up or anything and walked away without any injuries. The driver of the other truck went to jail for being drunk, driving under suspension, etc. The 2 riders he had went to the hospital with cuts and what not. They had full coverage, luckily. They were in a truck just like our's, only their's was a 1/2 ton gas. Same color and body style though. A few weeks later I bought the white powerstroke in my picture. Had it ever since.

pitrack
07-10-2009, 12:22 AM
Thanks man. Here's a sad story for ya...July 4th of 2008 I had my big trailer hooked on, 200 gallon sprayer full of chemical, Scag in the trailer, loaded down to the max. I was cruising down the highway with the cruise set at 68 or so, and some kids were coming down a dirt road, cruisin and boozin (it was the 4th remember). They tried to jump the highway without stopping at their stop sign. I guess they saw me coming and thought they could make it across. I T-boned them just as square as you could t-bone somebody. It totalled out my Dodge. My air bags went off and saved me. I wasn't buckled up or anything and walked away without any injuries. The driver of the other truck went to jail for being drunk, driving under suspension, etc. The 2 riders he had went to the hospital with cuts and what not. They had full coverage, luckily. They were in a truck just like our's, only their's was a 1/2 ton gas. Same color and body style though. A few weeks later I bought the white powerstroke in my picture. Had it ever since.

Dang man, I think I saw something about that in another post how it got wrecked and what not. At least nobody was hurt and you got reimbursed for it. Well I hope this 4th of July you toasted a beer to the old ride just to rub it in the losers' face who were driving drunk. (Not implying you should drive after you toast one to it, or more)

What all happened to your mower and trailer when you wrecked?

South Florida Lawns
07-12-2009, 03:47 PM
Dude your hauling lawn mowers, a single axle is fine.

YardBoss Lawncare
07-12-2009, 04:45 PM
I had a 200 gallon Lesco Space Saver mounted at the front of the trailer. My Scag Tiger Cub was behind it, turned sideways above the tandems. When I hit him, my whole rig spun around and I landed in the ditch, jacknifed with the jack of the trailer up under the bumper of my Dodge. The mower slid into the frame of the sprayer, bowing the 2 metal bars that run down the side of the tank. The deck of the Scag was scratched up from this, and the back rim of the mower on that side was cracked. Other than that, the front of the trailer had some cosmetic damage from jacknifing into the truck bed. I got a quote for a new frame and D403 pump on the sprayer, a quote for repainting the Scag, a back bumper and decal, new back rim, and deck gaurd pads. I also got a quote on the trailer damage and paint. I faxed them to his insurance and they sent me a check for everything. All I did was buy a new pump for the sprayer and a new back rim for the Scag. I pocketed the rest. I straightned the frame on the sprayer myself, as well as the expanded metal on the front of the trailer. The check was around $3,500. With the cash I pocketed, I upgraded the Scag to a 432 61" Grasshopper.

GravelyGuy
07-12-2009, 06:30 PM
I had a 200 gallon Lesco Space Saver mounted at the front of the trailer. My Scag Tiger Cub was behind it, turned sideways above the tandems. When I hit him, my whole rig spun around and I landed in the ditch, jacknifed with the jack of the trailer up under the bumper of my Dodge. The mower slid into the frame of the sprayer, bowing the 2 metal bars that run down the side of the tank. The deck of the Scag was scratched up from this, and the back rim of the mower on that side was cracked. Other than that, the front of the trailer had some cosmetic damage from jacknifing into the truck bed. I got a quote for a new frame and D403 pump on the sprayer, a quote for repainting the Scag, a back bumper and decal, new back rim, and deck gaurd pads. I also got a quote on the trailer damage and paint. I faxed them to his insurance and they sent me a check for everything. All I did was buy a new pump for the sprayer and a new back rim for the Scag. I pocketed the rest. I straightned the frame on the sprayer myself, as well as the expanded metal on the front of the trailer. The check was around $3,500. With the cash I pocketed, I upgraded the Scag to a 432 61" Grasshopper.

Wasn't that a ton of tongue weight with the sprayer ahead of the axle? I've wanted to do this with my 200 gallon sprayer, but I was afraid I would bend my trailer. Any pics of it on your trailer?

Thanks...

YardBoss Lawncare
07-12-2009, 07:18 PM
My trailer has a 2'x2' lockable tool cage at the front, so the sprayer wasn't all the way at the front. You know how those cages take up the first 2' of the trailer, other than the little space underneath them. I had a 6" gap between the sprayer and the tool cage too, so this placed it towards the axles even more. I just bolted it to the wood floor on the trailer. I kept a battery in the tool cage and ran my wires to the electric hose reel. Once in a while I would charge the battery. It worked out pretty good, and it didn't really squat my truck that much either. The Scag stayed above the back axle turned sideways, and the sprayer rested almost above the front axle. One thing I always wanted to do that I never did, was cut a square hole out of the side of the expanded metal and frame it in with angle iron. I was going to hinge a small door there so that I could open it and reach inside to access my spray hose and the electric rewind button without getting in the trailer. I don't have any pictures of everything set up this way.