PDA

View Full Version : Outdoor Lighting - Mid Year 2009

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
07-09-2009, 01:15 AM
So how goes the sales in your area? We are now 1/2 way through the year and in the midst of the 'high season' for outdoor lighting installations.

Please take a min and fill in the brief survey.

I suspect there will be some interesting regional differences still. Things appear to be stable or recovering in the North East and yet the South seems to still be struggling to find recovery mode. I am not sure why this is.

Mark B
07-10-2009, 12:13 AM
I will be the first. Mine sucks.... Now I will say I have not pushed as hard as I did in the past. But just in what I do have the same customers are NOT spending much at all. Atleast here anyway.

David Gretzmier
07-10-2009, 09:39 AM
looks like sales are down...except in Canada. dang canadiens.

Pro-Scapes
07-10-2009, 11:11 AM
On par here. Would be way up but 2 large projects have not gone thru yet. Like sleepy I have not been pushing too hard right now as we have alot of other things going on.

Alan B
07-10-2009, 11:56 AM
For those of you that are down from 2008 you are not alone. The AVERAGE (not all but the aggregate) manu is down close to 50% from 2007. Which means on average so is the industry... if you are beating that you are doing a good job.

bmwsmity
07-14-2009, 08:24 PM
my sales are totally in the crapper for lighting...i'm sooooo glad i started doing irrigation last year or else i'd be livin in a box. on a brighter note, when counting irrigation my sales as of this week have officially passed sales for ALL of 2008..and its only July :)

Mike M
07-14-2009, 11:19 PM
or else i'd be livin in a box.

I take offense to that.

Every business is slow, staff cut down, service okay but no growth. I sold my part-time landscaping biz quickly/easily to a furloughed worker. The southeast has been tough for contractors.

As I mentioned here, I am falling back on my previous work experience but will be keeping my feet wet. Or frozen. Whichever comes first.

Taking sleepy's advice and doing some fishing and hunting in the near future. I just bought some bear protection for fishing: .460 smith & wesson.

The only downside is that I will have to drive through Canada for a few days (yawn!:laugh:) to get to AK.

Good luck, everyone!

Lite4
07-15-2009, 08:30 AM
Good luck on your trip Mike. Be safe!

bmwsmity
07-16-2009, 07:17 AM
I take offense to that.

Every business is slow, staff cut down, service okay but no growth. I sold my part-time landscaping biz quickly/easily to a furloughed worker. The southeast has been tough for contractors.

As I mentioned here, I am falling back on my previous work experience but will be keeping my feet wet. Or frozen. Whichever comes first.

Taking sleepy's advice and doing some fishing and hunting in the near future. I just bought some bear protection for fishing: .460 smith & wesson.

The only downside is that I will have to drive through Canada for a few days (yawn!:laugh:) to get to AK.

Good luck, everyone!

it offends me too...i'd much rather be doing lighting than irrigation! :laugh:

extlights
07-16-2009, 11:34 AM
Our sales are down (not by much) but overall our other numbers are up from this time last year. We made the decision at the beginning of the year to cut out all forms of advertising, and that has helped our overall numbers greatly this year. Also for some reason, although the number of jobs are down the number of installed fixtures are up.

Definately hasn't been a stellar year, but not even close to as bad as we were expecting.

Pro-Scapes
07-16-2009, 06:56 PM
Yup thats how its going here too Dave. Less actual clients and we have not advertised but the overall number of fixtures is a tad higher. Missed a 500+ fixture job that has been delayed due to the new construction market. Still got the job its just on hold.

Mike M
07-16-2009, 10:51 PM
Yup thats how its going here too Dave. Less actual clients and we have not advertised but the overall number of fixtures is a tad higher. Missed a 500+ fixture job that has been delayed due to the new construction market. Still got the job its just on hold.

Billy come up and shoot seals with me while you wait for that job.

Mark B
07-16-2009, 11:27 PM
A 500+ job. That would scare the crap out of me. But it sounds interesting.

Mike M
07-17-2009, 07:11 AM
A 500+ job. That would scare the crap out of me. But it sounds interesting.

Billy kicks ass. But what he's not telling us is that he's lighting up a trailer park with chile string lights.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
07-17-2009, 07:53 AM
Now I dont care who you are... That there was funny! :laugh::laugh:

Mark B
07-17-2009, 09:35 AM
Billy what did you do to everyone?? That is 2 cracks on you in 2 days. Now string lights is different story. That is a good one.

Pro-Scapes
07-17-2009, 10:58 AM
Why on earth would 500 lights scare you ? Same principals. Its a series of smaller systems that when combined make a large project. Sure it takes a bit more planning for the power sources but its still the same ideas.

With 14 transformers it is like doing 14 mid sized jobs all at once (well over 3 months)

Mark B
07-17-2009, 03:14 PM
I understand all that. As far as pricing, sleeving, etc..and all the work that goes into pricing a system that size would be scary to me.

Lite4
07-17-2009, 05:05 PM
Chile lights...that's pretty funny!! I would love a job that size. I have not even had a shot at a client with enough property to even entertain a job that size though. Pretty much everything I have gotten lands in the 10-30 fixture range. I am trying to get associated with that kind of clientele in my area but just hasn't happened yet. Good luck on that one Billy, I hope it comes through for you.

BrandonV
07-17-2009, 05:50 PM
Sleepy I figured you'd be one of those dudes that have a ain't skered shirt.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mark B
07-17-2009, 07:40 PM
Well maybe scared was the wrong word. It can't be any harder then a large irritation job.

BrandonV
07-17-2009, 09:23 PM
did you get your license taken care of? talk about a $ grab. no sooner do you pay all the fees for the paperwork and then the bond THEN with your acceptance letter they hit you up for the seal(s) that must be ordered through them. ALL this and not an irrigation job in site... oh well

Pro-Scapes
07-18-2009, 10:11 AM
i have a question. How does the sleeving or pricing differ when on a large job vs a small. Sure you may need bigger or more conduits in certain areas so you can pull enough wire but the same principals apply. There may be special considerations like storage fees or travel fees (like the 200 lights job I did with burt 2 years ago we had hotels etc)

You should be more scared of a single fixture that needs a crazy customized install than 500 fixtures all ground and tree mounted. I will do system drawings for the whole project but have individual drawings for each transformer. Keeping things organized and staging materials (keeping them secure on site) will be the biggest challenge. One I will no doubt as Mr Cajun to help with.