PDA

View Full Version : 3 pt. sprayer

LwnmwrMan22
07-09-2009, 01:25 AM
Anyone use a Fimco or Demco 3 point pto sprayer on the back of a tractor?

I've got a Kubota M6040 and am thinking about going this route with a 200 gallon sprayer.

I've got 3 cities and a school district that are looking for bids for this year's fall application, so I've got to get some numbers together fairly quick.

All the Cushman or Toro truckster / sprayer setups I've looked at aren't exactly what I'm looking for.

Anyone have an opinion or using a setup such as this?

Grandview
07-09-2009, 07:28 AM
I do a few schools and other large commercial accounts. I am not familiar with your tractor. That sounds like a huge cumbersome set up. I use a 25 hp Simplicity Legacy with a 50 gal tank. It is low to the ground and mobile. I had a custom boom made. I use three hypro Hi-Flow nozzles that give me 30 feet.
I spray around 5 gal/acre. My boom collapses also. I can spray 20 feet or 10 feet also. 200 gal is around 1700 pounds. Can your three point handle that?

lawn king
07-09-2009, 07:32 AM
I have a demco 3 point, nice unit. It has a hypro 6 spline pto pump. Its too small for my tracror now, im planning on buying another demco.

LwnmwrMan22
07-09-2009, 09:02 AM
Lift capacity of the 3 point is 3300 lbs, per stats from Kubota's website.

I realize when the tank is full, and the weight of the actual unit, it won't be the easiest to steer, but it should do okay.

I'm looking at a 21' collapsable boom, breakaway both vertically and horizontally, with electronic controls from inside the cab that allow 1, 2 or 3 sections of boom use at a time.

What I can't find out on these sprayers is how much coverage they put out, stats on the sprayers themselves are limited at best.

I'm trying to figure out if I can cover the 5 gallons per acre as Grandview says, and if so, at what speed to I have to travel.

I'm going to persue a contract for 2 years and get the sprayer paid for, but I also don't want to be spending 3 weeks driving around at 2 mph to get this coverage, if anyone understands what I'm saying.

foreplease
07-09-2009, 10:12 AM
I use a John Deere 3-cylinder diesel tractor with turf tires. My sprayer is a 50 gallon Carrarospray. I had a lot of custom work done on the boom and a rack I had made both to carry things and help support and stabilize the boom. I spray in 2nd gear high and have it calibrated at approx 0.4 gallons/M - I get 120 M out of 50 gallons of mix, a rate I am comfortable with. Usually, I go over things in two directions at half rate to get better coverage. Although I like and can count on my set up, if money was no object or if I did nothing but spray, I would have a Toro dedicated sprayer in a heartbeat. My opinions and standards are influenced by my golf course background. I now work on athletic fields.

Runner
07-09-2009, 08:07 PM
I'm not sure what brand it is, but the tru-brown near us always seem to have a nice looking outfit on the back of a JD tractor. I saw one sprayer setup like this that had caster wheels on the bottom and back to support the weight when full. I thought that was pretty neat, as it would take all that weight off the back of the tractor. I don't know if that have a swivel to allow it to tilt while in float position, or what.

lawn king
07-09-2009, 09:24 PM
Digital ground speed will help a lot on calibration, does the M have it?

Grandview
07-09-2009, 11:34 PM

I realize when the tank is full, and the weight of the actual unit, it won't be the easiest to steer, but it should do okay.

I'm looking at a 21' collapsable boom, breakaway both vertically and horizontally, with electronic controls from inside the cab that allow 1, 2 or 3 sections of boom use at a time.

What I can't find out on these sprayers is how much coverage they put out, stats on the sprayers themselves are limited at best.

I'm trying to figure out if I can cover the 5 gallons per acre as Grandview says, and if so, at what speed to I have to travel.

I'm going to persue a contract for 2 years and get the sprayer paid for, but I also don't want to be spending 3 weeks driving around at 2 mph to get this coverage, if anyone understands what I'm saying.

I think I have seen that sprayer at a dealer. My sprayer is sort of like that. I had mine custom made since I had the tank and all the plumbing. Last year I simplified the boom by taking all the nozzles (20 inch spaced) off and replacing them with three Hypro HiFlow nozzles, one on each end and one in the middle. I turned my 20 foot boom into a 30 foot boom plus simplified it. I often spend half hour getting all the nozzles to flow if it has been sitting a month or more. A separate valve controls each nozzle. I monitor my speed with a gps unit. I spray at 6 mph.

pieperlc
07-10-2009, 09:13 AM

You'll have to look at the pumps and see what kind of gpm & pressure they output. Find that out and determine what speed you would like to travel and start looking at spray nozzles/tips. You'll find that keeping the gpm, psi, & mph the same you can have spray rates from 2-10 gpa just by swapping nozzles.

LwnmwrMan22
07-10-2009, 09:28 AM
Digital ground speed will help a lot on calibration, does the M have it?

Yes, the M has a digital speedo in the dash.

It's fairly accurate as I've checked against the gps.

jlouki01
07-15-2009, 04:18 PM
I use the 55 gallon Fimco sprayer with a Hypro pump. Bought everything at TSC. However they do not carry nozzles there and don't expect the Fimco people to be able to help you. I found a place in Canada that sells all the nozzles. I ended up buying a bunch of different sets and just kept trying them to I found a set i liked. Good sprayers for the money really.. Not fancy, no whirly gigs etc.. but they work just fine. I like it on a 3pt because I can raise and lower but expect to maybe need some front ballast on the tractor.