PDA

View Full Version : Which Ride on Spreader Sprayer ?

Scott's Lawn Maintenance
07-09-2009, 05:00 PM
With the many different models available PG , Z spray , T3000 and etc , which one would you choose when taking the next step from push spreaders and your reasons for your chose.

billyc
07-09-2009, 05:19 PM
Z Spray. Built like a tank, excellent on hills especially with their caster lock setup, (got a new Intermediate with it this spring) excellent service and they won't make you a guinea pig for new product. They actually offer more than one size unit. Kinda like exmark, walker, wright etc. I have owned PG and demoed T. No comparison. Back to you Larry.

a plus bob
07-09-2009, 06:13 PM
Read Rays review T Vs the Z . Z spray is the way to go no doubt ! I have a intermediate with the extra tank . I wouldn't trade for 2 T 3000s .

br549oicu8
07-10-2009, 04:36 PM
Just read through the discussion in all the posts and threads about his. You will find TONS of comments and opinions.

americanlawn
07-10-2009, 05:59 PM
Scott's LM - I realize you are not Scotts Lawn Service, but my local Scotts Lawn Service buds are switching away from PG's and going to the 'Pathfinder' by Ground Logic. The Pathfinder is one step ahead of the PG Magnum, but the spray is basically the same. Brice is a nice guy and can answer your Q's regarding this machine. He plans to offer an improved spray system within 2 or 3 months.

http:www.groundlogicinc.net They sell for $6495.

You can also buy used ride-on's (although I've never seen a used T3000 for sale).

I like Z-Sprays too. Another outstanding company. Many swear by them like billy c, a plus bob, recreech, and many many more. Just like PG's (which I do not recommend), they have been around for years.

But we swear by the TURFCO T3000. So do many others. It's basically less than a year old, yet production was backed up for months this spring due to high demand. I know of at least a half dozen in my town already.

http://www.valleygreenusa.com sells 'em in YOUR area.

All the above can be transported on carrier racks, except Z-Sprays.

Bottom line, it's always best to demo every unit you are interested in before making such a large purchase.

FdLLawnMan
07-10-2009, 08:01 PM
You can go to the following thread. Ray did a very nice job with his experience of both machines.
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=281184&highlight=rayholio

EVM
07-10-2009, 08:30 PM
I just got my Custom Z Spray Junior today and I must say that the Z is the way to go. My machine set up is incredible, thanks to the help from the people over at LT Rich. When you look at price and then compare the machines capability; it is really a no brainer Z Spray all the way.

nighthawk117
07-11-2009, 07:34 AM
Bought a Z-spray this year and love every minute of use on it !! Total quality in the build, fit, and finish. Buy it and dont look back :weightlifter:

billyc
07-11-2009, 12:39 PM
Larry,
Once again you need to get your facts straight. RIch does build a new unit the Mini max that does go on a carrier. Same capacity as a T but is zero turn and does have their locking caster. I am demoing one next week. Maybe they will give me one for free if I write a good review like another company I know. All in good fun Larry.

americanlawn
08-26-2009, 05:32 PM
Wondering if anybody else utilizes this?

14" x 21" x 14" (16 gallon) auxiliary tank (from Dultmeier) for their T3000's.

(16 gal + 16 gal = 32 total gallons capacity)

rscvp, thanks :waving:

Larry,
Once again you need to get your facts straight. RIch does build a new unit the Mini max that does go on a carrier. Same capacity as a T but is zero turn and does have their locking caster. I am demoing one next week. Maybe they will give me one for free if I write a good review like another company I know. All in good fun Larry.

brookviewlawncare
08-26-2009, 07:30 PM
Wondering if anybody else utilizes this?

14" x 21" x 14" (16 gallon) auxiliary tank (from Dultmeier) for their T3000's.

(16 gal + 16 gal = 32 total gallons capacity)

rscvp, thanks :waving:

How are you going to plumb the tank when it will be above the the opening of the side saddle tanks?( I am assuming that this goes on the T3000 where the useless carrier platform is) Thanks Dan

rcreech
08-26-2009, 08:24 PM
How are you going to plumb the tank when it will be above the the opening of the side saddle tanks?( I am assuming that this goes on the T3000 where the useless carrier platform is) Thanks Dan

Larry,

Considering you know the only other 2 or 3 guys on here that has the T-3000...why didn't you just PM them? :laugh:

Just kidding!

I think that adding a tank like that would be a great plus for that machine. What would you do for increasing your dry capacity though?

Turfco needs to go to the larger hopper! 120# just isn't enough!

a plus bob
08-26-2009, 08:35 PM

Thats a good Idea throw that P.O.S. tray away install a tank and a hose reel.

Larry,

Considering you know the only other 2 or 3 guys on here that has the T-3000...why didn't you just PM them? :laugh:

Just kidding!

I think that adding a tank like that would be a great plus for that machine. What would you do for increasing your dry capacity though

Turfco needs to go to the larger hopper! 120# just isn't enough!

You can get a hopper extension from spyker Brent from LT RICH showed me one.

FdLLawnMan
08-26-2009, 08:48 PM
I carry an extra bag or 2 of fertilizer in the carrier tray that you guys think isn't of any use. Doesn't the Z have carrier's for extra bags of fert?

a plus bob
08-26-2009, 08:51 PM
I carry an extra bag or 2 of fertilizer in the carrier tray that you guys think isn't of any use. Doesn't the Z have carrier's for extra bags of fert?

2 but I replaced 1 with a 8 gal tank for a extra 24,000 sq ft :weightlifter: see pic in my avatar

EVM
08-26-2009, 08:59 PM
100 ft of 1/4 hose rules! But Z muffler sucks donkey balls, terrible flaw. You can't stop, hop off the unit and spray ANYTHING with out burning turf! FIX IT DAMN IT

a plus bob
08-26-2009, 09:09 PM
100 ft of 1/4 hose rules! But Z muffler sucks donkey balls, terrible flaw. You can't stop, hop off the unit and spray ANYTHING with out burning turf! FIX IT DAMN IT

How old is your Z my 06 junior did burn 1 or 2 times my 08 intermedate has never burnt any thing

ted putnam
08-26-2009, 09:12 PM

:laugh::laugh: I don't know if I'd go quite that far, but....umm...I kinda agree on there should be a heat shield or something...

DUSTYCEDAR
08-26-2009, 09:20 PM
burned turf????????
thats a bummer how long did you let it sit in the same spot?

a plus bob
08-26-2009, 09:33 PM
burned turf????????

The first time it happened to me I was spraying a burm with white pines all over it sat for 5-6 min per spot .Every where I moved it to had a spot.

ted putnam
08-26-2009, 10:00 PM
Not sure how long it can stay in one spot without burning but I'd say 2-3 minutes max. I have an 09 standard Jr.

rcreech
08-26-2009, 10:00 PM

I personally like the tray on any machine myself!

Anything to inrease capacity is huge I think! :weightlifter:

a plus bob
08-26-2009, 10:05 PM
Not sure how long it can stay in one spot without burning but I'd say 2-3 minutes max. I have an 09 standard Jr.

Briggs or kawasaki ? The new quiet exhaust on the kaw. is in a different location than the old mufflers not sure about the briggs .Do you idle down when off the machine I always idle down.

rcreech
08-26-2009, 10:08 PM
What in the heck are the machines sitting for???? Don't make any money when the tires ain't turn'n! :laugh:

I think a chrome smoke stack would look look good on Z!

Seriously...I havn't had any issues that I am aware of, but I also guess I have never really gone back and looked either! :)

a plus bob
08-26-2009, 10:14 PM
The new quite exhaust comes out the side I talked to Andy about switching and he said it would melt my gas tank:confused: they must have moved the tank a little for the new exhaust ? With a 100 ft hose reel our machines make money sitting still :p

EVM
08-26-2009, 10:43 PM
burned turf????????

The machine burns the turf if you let the machine sit running for 20 seconds. I had someone try to talk to me about the machine when I was working. I idled the machine down and spoke to her for maybe 10 seconds. I came back to the property a couple of days later and boom, there it was, a nice burn spot about the size of 2 basketballs in a lawn that look liked it had just been sodded. I figured my fungicide is burning the turf? LOL! So then I come back to a house where I sprayed the shrubs, 5 burn marks across the front lawn, nice! I realized what was going on right away after that. Then it dawned on me, where else did I leave the machine sitting and what do i have to look forward to? This goes on for about another 10 houses.

SpreadNSpray
08-26-2009, 11:37 PM
With the many different models available PG , Z spray , T3000 and etc , which one would you choose when taking the next step from push spreaders and your reasons for your chose.

If you have a mixed bag of accounts, small to large residentials, townhomes, commercials, and estates up to a few acres..Go with a PG Magnum. If more of your accounts are large acreage then look into a larger rig. The Magnum's are a good reliable machine.

grassman177
08-27-2009, 06:49 PM
that is odd, i have never burned turf like that, i would be mad if it did though! i can see if the ground between the tires is closer than the ground at the tires, but flat ground that would suprise me

sprayboy
08-27-2009, 08:40 PM
I let mine sit all the time, never burnt any turf.
The exhaust outlet has a piece of angle welded to it to deflect it from going straight to the turf.

rcreech
08-27-2009, 09:58 PM
If you have a mixed bag of accounts, small to large residentials, townhomes, commercials, and estates up to a few acres..Go with a PG Magnum. If more of your accounts are large acreage then look into a larger rig. The Magnum's are a good reliable machine.

I definitly think the Z is a much more effecient machine and it has almost twice the capacity...but I will NEVER say anything bad about the PG.

I built my business on it's back and it rarely let me down.

Now every once in a while I will jump off my Z to do a lawn to two with the PG...and I feel like I am going from a Harley to a bananna seat bike.

But definiitly think the PG has its place.

For the price difference between the Z and PG...I think it is a no brainer to spend the extra $1500 though!!!!

ted putnam
08-27-2009, 11:18 PM
Briggs or kawasaki ? The new quiet exhaust on the kaw. is in a different location than the old mufflers not sure about the briggs .Do you idle down when off the machine I always idle down.

Briggs. The exhaust comes down from the front of the motor at about a 60 degree angle with 2 pipes about 6-8 inches long. They are joined to a piece of 3-4 inch pipe running perpindicular, capped at one end, open at the other. The exhaust shoots out the open end to the side just in front of the battery box. It's real quiet. I love that. But I guess it's such a power plant and that piece of 3-4 inch pipe is close enough to the ground that scorching is a real problem... even at idle. Kinda defeats the purpose of having the 100ft hose reel if you have to strategicly park on hard surfaces or shut the machine down each time you pull the hose out any distance to spot spray an area.

EVM
08-27-2009, 11:40 PM
It is not the pipe itself. There is some type of wind blowing the heat toward the turf, the outlet of the muffler is facing out not down so I guess the air is coming from the belts?

ted putnam
08-27-2009, 11:49 PM
It is not the pipe itself. There is some type of wind blowing the heat toward the turf, the outlet of the muffler is facing out not down so I guess the air is coming from the belts?

I thought it was just the heat radiating. The only fan I've noticed is on part of the hydraulics just underneath the hood...I guess there could be something else to it. I haven't investigated it that thoroughly but I warned my guys about it and told them if I got any service calls on it I was going to cut off their ears...:laugh:

rcreech
08-28-2009, 05:50 AM
I thought it was just the heat radiating. The only fan I've noticed is on part of the hydraulics just underneath the hood...I guess there could be something else to it. I haven't investigated it that thoroughly but I warned my guys about it and told them if I got any service calls on it I was going to cut off their ears...:laugh:

Then they won't be able to hear ya....cut off thier nuts! :clapping:

grass4gas
08-28-2009, 06:41 AM
For those with the Z's, have any of you contacted LT Rich to discuss the issue?

I will be in the market for a new machine over the winter, but I will be leaning more towards the Mini Max, since I do have a fair share of gates to pass through and I like the fact that it can be hauled on a rack. Hopefully that machine won't have the issues that the other Z's have.

Right now my PG Centri is running strong, but it will need some major parts replaced...things starting to wear out after 10 years, and I really don't want to spend $2,000 to $3,000 to replace these parts.

EVM
08-28-2009, 07:40 AM
So I got tired or rewinding the hose for short lengths and put a coil hose on the end of the 100 ft of regular hose using polyethylene quick couplers. Looks like this.

http://img199.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=145c.jpg

pieperlc
08-28-2009, 08:35 AM

It may be the air cooling system for the engine. Vertical shaft engines move are from the top and out the bottom around the edges. Is the area under the engine open? Not a z owner, so this is just speculation.

ted putnam
08-28-2009, 08:56 AM
It may be the air cooling system for the engine. Vertical shaft engines move are from the top and out the bottom around the edges. Is the area under the engine open? Not a z owner, so this is just speculation.

I believe you are correct! The motor forces air out where the OHV cover is on each side directly under these is where the exhaust ports are. Looks like the warm air is blown down and super heated by the muffler before hitting the ground.

americanlawn
08-29-2009, 07:19 PM
The T3000 carrier tray comes in handy for us everyday too, (so it is not a waste of space). 100 pounds in the hopper & 100 pounds on the tray allows us to treat large properties without refilling as often.

The T3000 tray also serves us well if we're spraying liquid products on large commercial properties cuz it allows us to carry a 16 gallon axillary tank (32 gallons total capacity).

Today we treated several large commercial properties (weed & feed) with our T's. Each unit went through nearly 200 gallons of herbicide at the 1/4 gallon rate. Six hours is all it took. >>>> Recently I was called a liar cuz I said we sprayed out 1200 gallons in one day with two T3000's (at a 1/2 gallon per K rate) on a single account. That still sticks in my craw.

So does anybody want me to take pictures (and post it on this site) of our T's spraying capabilities to prove "others" wrong? :cry: (again) ?? Let me know, and I'll bring out the camera. :dizzy:

RABBITMAN11
08-29-2009, 09:17 PM
Bring It.........................

ted putnam
08-29-2009, 10:49 PM
Still trying to make up for inadequacies in other areas. Some things will never change...:rolleyes:

brookviewlawncare
08-30-2009, 06:42 AM
So does anybody want me to take pictures (and post it on this site) of our T's spraying capabilities to prove "others" wrong? :cry: (again) ?? Let me know, and I'll bring out the camera. :dizzy:

Yes I want to see the T 3000 with its aux. tank

Laner
08-30-2009, 11:30 PM

Have you had a chance to research all the options yet? Wondering as there have been a lot of discussions that don't appear to help you with your selection.
I made a similar decision this spring. I went from pushing a Spyker 298 to a PG. I have a ton of small lawns and some town homes as well as some commercial care facilities, so I needed something that would work well in all areas and provide good service. The PG for me shines and makes me much more productive. I have actually picked up a few new lawns because of the machine. People ask what it is and what it can do and they are hooked. The only thing I don't like is clean up. There are some difficult places to get the fert blown out to keep everything from rusting.

ted putnam
08-31-2009, 12:12 AM
I think the PG could be a very logical next step. Especially if you can find a quality used one at a reasonable price.My first ride-on was a PG Ultra which helped get me to the next level. I really have no experience with the much newer Magnum. I now have a Z also but I spent 3 days of last week riding the old Ultra. She's a little rough now but she's paid for herself over and over again. and still does a good job. The Pathfinder is a close and possibly better alternative to the Magnum. You might want to check it out as well.:)

americanlawn
08-31-2009, 05:59 PM
We use the extra tank for large spray only properties. When the saddle tanks get low, just open the valve to refill them on the go. It fits perfectly in the tray, and we still have 100% visibility of the spreader hopper.

dmcenery
08-31-2009, 06:23 PM
Larry,

Sweet!!!! :weightlifter:

brookviewlawncare
08-31-2009, 07:20 PM
Thanks Larry. Do you plan on plumbing into the system?

rcreech
08-31-2009, 07:42 PM
Larry,

Good idea! I like it!

Looks like it is just sitting in the tray.

What happend when you hit a slope.

Are you going to strap it on or down?

americanlawn
08-31-2009, 08:02 PM
So far we just allow the extra tank to refill the saddle tanks on the go. Works fine for us (especially regarding my "1200 gallons" post that nobody ever believed). :laugh: :usflag:

I know that TURFCO has built T3000's with quick-release booms this year for select customers (using two nozzles & extra spray tank), but I haven't seen them yet.

Here's another pic of the 16 gallon aux tank on a 2008 model T3000 with over 500 hours on it.

sprayboy
08-31-2009, 08:16 PM
Kinda funny how there is a trailer in every pic with the T.

americanlawn
08-31-2009, 08:32 PM
Hi RC --BTW you're my favorite Z-Spray bud (and trusted friend). :usflag::usflag:

These tanks come with female threads to allow one to permanently bolt it in on all four corners. We chose not to do this so we can take the tank on & off as we please. 5000 s/f or 5 acres -- no prob. We just strap in on when we encounter large spray properties. We carry this tank in the back of pickup trucks, so it's easy to switch over & turn our T's into spray monsters.

Z-Spray owners would not even have to strap it in cuz they're doing flat ground anyways. :laugh:

Larry,

Good idea! I like it!

Looks like it is just sitting in the tray.

What happend when you hit a slope.

Are you going to strap it on or down?

FdLLawnMan
08-31-2009, 11:15 PM
I may try that on mine but I will try to figure out some sort of strap. When that tank gets empty I can see it flying off the machine. Larry, where did you get the tank?

rcreech
08-31-2009, 11:16 PM
So far we just allow the extra tank to refill the saddle tanks on the go. Works fine for us (especially regarding my "1200 gallons" post that nobody ever believed). :laugh: :usflag:

I know that TURFCO has built T3000's with quick-release booms this year for select customers (using two nozzles & extra spray tank), but I haven't seen them yet.

Here's another pic of the 16 gallon aux tank on a 2008 model T3000 with over 500 hours on it.

C'mon Larry!

If you would have had this tank two weeks ago...you would have posted pictures of it then! The tank is brand new and isn't even plumbed yet! :laugh:

Where are the hoses at?

Quit trying man! :laugh:

rcreech
08-31-2009, 11:19 PM
The only problem I see with this setup...is it would work great on spray only's...but would suck on dry fert apps...as you could do 2 acres with liquid, but less then 1 with dry fert.

Seems like they need to be a little closer. Can you put the bigger hopper on it?

You could get some area done with that thing then!

ted putnam
09-01-2009, 12:52 AM
We use the extra tank for large spray only properties. When the saddle tanks get low, just open the valve to refill them on the go. It fits perfectly in the tray, and we still have 100% visibility of the spreader hopper.

Looks like a great idea. Where's that valve? How and where did you run the hose? Where is it plumbed into the original tanks. I don't see any connections. They're all so well hidden.:rolleyes: Must be a "booger" to connect/disconnect/work on with all working parts out of plain site :rolleyes::laugh: It does look like it has some great possibilities. Show us some more pics when it's actually up and running. You're a hoot...living testament to the saying "If you can't dazzle them with details, baffle them with BS".:laugh:

Grandview
09-01-2009, 06:38 AM
The only problem I see with this setup...is it would work great on spray only's...but would suck on dry fert apps...as you could do 2 acres with liquid, but less then 1 with dry fert.

Seems like they need to be a little closer. Can you put the bigger hopper on it?

You could get some area done with that thing then!

I do not see that as a problem. Less filling is less filling. I get 9-10 acres of spray out of my Z-Max, but only 2 with fertilizer.

ZSpray Info
09-01-2009, 04:32 PM
Regarding the muffler issue:

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?p=3169081#post3169081

americanlawn
09-01-2009, 06:41 PM
Hi Mike & Rodney -- the tank came from Dultmeier Sales. http:www.dultmeier.com/products/search/35 part number RTSP16-mm. It cost about $40. I'll post a pic how we connected it to one of the saddle tanks. So far, we just use a strap to hold it down -- might be a temporary thing or maybe not, cuz it's easy to take off when empty & go back to normal.

The larger Spyker hopper would easily fit, but I would be concerned with the weight capacity of the T3000 (full hopper & 32 gallons of BWC). I just don't know. Later, Larry

Josh.S
09-01-2009, 09:04 PM
Hi Mike & Rodney -- the tank came from Dultmeier Sales. http:www.dultmeier.com/products/search/35 part number RTSP16-mm. It cost about $40. I'll post a pic how we connected it to one of the saddle tanks. So far, we just use a strap to hold it down -- might be a temporary thing or maybe not, cuz it's easy to take off when empty & go back to normal.

The larger Spyker hopper would easily fit, but I would be concerned with the weight capacity of the T3000 (full hopper & 32 gallons of BWC). I just don't know. Later, Larry

Larry, I thought that "one square tank here and another there" was a "POS farmer's idea" ???