PDA

View Full Version : Accounting/Keeping Track of Money???

clean_cut
07-09-2009, 07:49 PM
How do you guys that have a small business keep track of your money. Right now I have a excel worksheet with spaces for date, account, work/description, Revenu, date paid, Expense (gas/new blades), then I have a seperate section for splitting up the money (equipment, me, brother)

For example, this is what the sheet would look like...

7/9/09, Bills House, mow/trim/blow, $45, paid 7/9/09, $0

7/10/09, None, Gas, $0, paid 7/10/09, $10

7/10/09, Joe's house, mow/trim/blow/mulch, $100, Not paid, $0

How does this look? What should I change? Should I seperate my money every time I get it? ex. $15 dollars in a bag for equipmant, $15 in a bag for me? Or should I split it up at the end of the month?

Should I combine equipmnt/expenses and just take moeny out weekly for gas, etc. but use the rest at the end of the year/month to pay for the equipment? :confused:

Thanks in advance for all of the help.

clean_cut
07-09-2009, 09:06 PM
Nobody???????????????????????????

IRRITECH
07-09-2009, 09:46 PM
Good grief, spend $100 and get Quickbooks Pro. What you are doing sounds like way too much work.

I have several different business bank accounts. I have a set percentage that gets saved for various things every month. Very simple process to transfer money around on line.

clean_cut
07-09-2009, 09:56 PM
we have quickbooks dulex, but I already have excel set up, I might put it on if I need it though, what does everyone else think?

IRRITECH
07-09-2009, 10:30 PM
we have quickbooks dulex, but I already have excel set up, I might put it on if I need it though, what does everyone else think?

And at the end of the month can you run a P&L ??

JB1
07-09-2009, 10:45 PM
learn how to use quickbooks.

grassrangers
07-09-2009, 11:27 PM
learn quickbooks buddy you are overworking yourself right now, its faily cheap and pretty easy to learn

Jay Ray
07-09-2009, 11:52 PM
A spreadsheet for permanent records, scheduling, receivables (who paid or not). Quicken for revenue and expenses. Turbotax for equiipment depreciation table. Lotus 123 for Christmas card list (just kidding on the Lotus :laugh:)

clean_cut
07-10-2009, 10:43 AM
So, I should just use quickbooks, my dad was saying that it's probably way overkill. I'm only going to have 5 or 6 weekly accounts, no taxes, bills, etc. to worry about.

nemow
07-10-2009, 10:52 AM
So, I should just use quickbooks, my dad was saying that it's probably way overkill. I'm only going to have 5 or 6 weekly accounts, no taxes, bills, etc. to worry about.

I have 80 accounts and quickbooks pro is overkill. If you are going to stay in the business and grow... Buy quickbooks and learn it. Just going thru the setup of quickbooks pro could answer some of your questions. I would also recomend pro for the $100 ( It goes on sale keep an eye out). I used quickbooks 2002 ( I think) for years. Just upgraded to 08 when I bought a new laptop. The $100 investment can last for years.

nemow
07-10-2009, 10:53 AM
Oh and the invoices estimates and statements you can make on quickbooks will make you look like a pro.

clean_cut
07-10-2009, 11:28 AM
O.K, I'll see if I can install what we have right now (quickbooks dulex) on this computer.

Thanks guys for the help.

Ruben Rocha
07-12-2009, 07:20 PM
Well there is no such thing as Quick books deluxe.
There is Quicken and Quicken Deluxe and Quicken for Business.
And there is Quick books and Quick books Pro.
So which software are you talking about?

clean_cut
07-12-2009, 11:21 PM
Yeah, just found out that it is quicken dulex, never mind, excel will still be better than that for my useage.

bohiaa
07-14-2009, 07:12 PM
Ever hear of KISS...............
Just write an access data base.....

Keep It Simple Stupid

pclawncare
07-14-2009, 07:27 PM
Just a little word on my experience on quick books. I have been using it for 4 years. The first 3 years while i was small i was using simple start and it was great for simple billing and thats about all i used it for. I tried to do the accounting stuff with it and it simply wouldn do what I wanted it to. It simply is almost useless for the accounting. This year I upgraded to quickbooks pro and it is really amazing. I can do everything i wanted to do. I really like being able to track expenses and income/recivables more closely. So far i really like pro and would advise anyone getting quickbooks that wants to use it for accounting to spring for the little extra money over simple start. For the original poster i would start with quickbooks simple start around $70 makes billing so easy. As you grow like i did you will be able to upgrade and carry all of your customers over to pro seamlessly and very easily.

Allens LawnCare
07-14-2009, 09:52 PM
If your unsure about spending for the software try out quick books simple start...It's free from quick books and works great, I thought I would hate doing stuff like this but with the click of a button I can see how my business is doing. It's great, I made some templates and use all my own invoices

clean_cut
07-14-2009, 11:26 PM
O.K. I might try that, I am goingto stick with excell for a while though, I think it will do what I need it to.

tinman
07-15-2009, 08:33 PM
quickbooks has a free version that is limited but should be enough for now.