PDA

View Full Version : permagreen ultra clutch

zurfsturfcare
07-09-2009, 09:05 PM
Hello,

I just swapped engines in my ultra and now my clutch doesnt seem to be working properly. It will shift into first and hardly crawl. It doesnt move at all in any other gears. I looked at PG's site for installation of the clutch and its not very descriptive, any suggestions? Thank guys

RigglePLC
07-09-2009, 10:50 PM
Z,
Belt is the most common problem. Take the hood covers off and have someone spy on the drive pulley to determine whether or not it is turning. Centrifugal clutch should engage at a certain rpm say around 1500. Paint a white spot on it. If the belt is slipping you won't get far. Try a new belt--I think they are 43 inches. Make sure idler is working properly, (and spring has good tension). Call the factory--they are helpful and friendly. If all else fails try a smaller belt. Check the weights and springs inside clutch to make sure they move freely.

How did you get a new motor? They stopped making that motor last year.

zurfsturfcare
07-09-2009, 10:59 PM
yea, this isnt per say the same motor. The belt has good tension. I can see the bolt that goes into the engine shaft spinning like crazy but the clutch will spin for a couple of seconds real slow then stop and continue that cycle

LushGreenLawn
07-09-2009, 11:28 PM
yea, this isnt per say the same motor. The belt has good tension. I can see the bolt that goes into the engine shaft spinning like crazy but the clutch will spin for a couple of seconds real slow then stop and continue that cycle

The clutch should spin all the time (at least from what you can see from the outside), even when the machine is not moving. That sounds like a belt issue.

zurfsturfcare
07-09-2009, 11:55 PM
i took the belt off the clutch spins freely, as soon as i put the belt back on the clutch slows way down again, the actual drive shaft still spins much faster, any ideas?

LushGreenLawn
07-10-2009, 07:32 PM
Is the engine turning 3600 RPM when in nutrel and running full throttle?
Posted via Mobile Device

americanlawn
07-10-2009, 08:12 PM
Sounds like maybe you need what we used to do with both our Ultras. Spray some Fluid Film or WD-40 in the clutch. Run it for a couple of minutes, and that should free it up. For us, this extended the lifespan of the clutch for a few more months until we needed a new one.

LushGreenLawn
07-10-2009, 08:44 PM
I would think spraying something in a clutch that works on friction would have the opposite effect. If I get water in mine it slows down.
Posted via Mobile Device

LushGreenLawn
07-10-2009, 08:48 PM
I'd be willing to bet money on the engine rpms being the issue, especially with a new motor just installed. 3400rpms is too little, and will cause the unit to barley crawl, 3700 is to much, could cause engine damage, and cause the unit to move at idle speed. It has to be at 3600 give or take 50 to work. That is in nutrel at full throttle. It will be slightly less when actually moving. I know all this because I had the same issue and talked to PG about it.
Posted via Mobile Device

zurfsturfcare
07-10-2009, 10:53 PM
thanks guys, im working on figuring out how to hook up the hour/tachometer to this engine. I hope this engine can turn 3600 RPM's. I never thought of that.

RigglePLC
07-10-2009, 11:26 PM
I think the clutch weights should fly out and engage the bell-shaped houseing (and Pulley) at about 1500 rpm. My Permagreen Ultra seldom got over 3300 rpm. But that was 3 years ago when the tack stopped working. Its has been in regular use for 5 years.

What kind of motor is this? How are you spinning the impeller? Are you sure the shaft size is the same as the original?

Maybe you should scroll down to the mechanic and repair section. Probably quicker results and more experience with motors.

If (at 1500 rpm) the drive shaft spins faster than the outer houseing and pulley, the centrifugal weights are not engageing. My opinion.

Runner
07-10-2009, 11:47 PM
My Briggs engine runs at 3450 consistently while totin' the load, and 3600 in neutral. I hope this helps as a guide.

zurfsturfcare
07-11-2009, 11:42 AM
its a briggs 6hp I found from a wholesaler with the elec start and aux pto in front, it runs the impeller great

jbturf
07-11-2009, 07:18 PM
the oe motor should idle at 1700-1800 rpm ideally when new
top rpm 3500-3700
the clutch engages at about 2000+rpms

i am wondering if you forgot to put the key into the keyway when you put the
clutch on the motor?

ive seen 2 varations of this confounded briggs motor 4sale online
both not quite the same as the oe one on the PG
1 had a top speed 3200rpm
1 had a wrong pto shaft direction

wondering if you got one of these ?
g/l

zurfsturfcare
07-11-2009, 10:35 PM
thanks for the input jb, this is gonna sound really stupid on my part, when i took the clutch off of the old engine there was nothing in the keyway? I wasnt sure how it operated, but thought it was beyond my knowledge. I take it i need to get a key for it?

jbturf
07-12-2009, 12:33 AM
dont feel bad,
i usually drop or lose the dang little key every time i have it apart

but they are available at most any hardware store
buy a couple in case you lose it again
g/l

ted putnam
07-12-2009, 10:15 PM
the oe motor should idle at 1700-1800 rpm ideally when new
top rpm 3500-3700
the clutch engages at about 2000+rpms

i am wondering if you forgot to put the key into the keyway when you put the
clutch on the motor?

ive seen 2 varations of this confounded briggs motor 4sale online
both not quite the same as the oe one on the PG
1 had a top speed 3200rpm
1 had a wrong pto shaft direction

wondering if you got one of these ?
g/l

I would be interested in the motor model number of the engine whose auxillary pto turned in the right direction.I think I've found one online. I have a 2004 Ultra that still runs fine. However... $400 and a Saturday spent installing sounds much better to me than a $15-1600 retrofit. As far as the lower RPM's... It seems to me that it would still work as long as the pto crank turns in the proper direction. A little re-calibration once the install is done and it should be good to go. JMO