PDA

View Full Version : recycle used transformers?

David Gretzmier
07-09-2009, 11:20 PM
what do you guys do with the usable transformers from redo jobs? I seem to be stacking up a few nightscaping trans, and I really don't want to use these in a new install. much like the par cans that are stacking up, I hate to throw them out or use them, but they have value. do you guys sell the used stuff on ebay? or install used, and charge less?

Mark B
07-09-2009, 11:58 PM
I have sold them at a cheaper price, with no warranty. I use them just those that want it cheap.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
07-10-2009, 12:52 AM
I keep them for the freebie "friends and family" jobs that come up. My staff have some rather interesting systems built out of spares, parts, and old stuff pulled from jobs.

JoeyD
07-10-2009, 09:40 AM
We have initiated a refurbishing program for all of our old units that are out there that people want replaced or tuned up. We would take the old transformer and for a small fee we could pull it apart, replace old or outdated componenets and re can the units in a new up to date SS can. The core's are usually immaculate and still work with no issue. This would be just offered on our Unique Transformers. Something to keep in mind should you come across an old Unique System.

Obviously if there is a warranty issue then it will be taken care of at NO COST! ALL UNIQUE TRANSFORMERS CARRY A LIFE TIME WARRANTY!!!!

Alan B
07-10-2009, 11:06 AM
We have initiated a refurbishing program for all of our old units that are out there that people want replaced or tuned up. We would take the old transformer and for a small fee we could pull it apart, replace old or outdated componenets and re can the units in a new up to date SS can. The core's are usually immaculate and still work with no issue. This would be just offered on our Unique Transformers. Something to keep in mind should you come across an old Unique System.

Obviously if there is a warranty issue then it will be taken care of at NO COST! ALL UNIQUE TRANSFORMERS CARRY A LIFE TIME WARRANTY!!!!

Joey,

That's pretty cool. Impressive full service I don't know of any/many others that can do that. Thumbs up to Unique.

Alan

JoeyD
07-10-2009, 11:17 AM
Thanks Alan!! It's hard to remember all the cool little things that we do sometimes. LOL

Pro-Scapes
07-10-2009, 02:29 PM
Just like James ... Our old take outs end up with friends or family members who think our lighting is wonderful but could not afford one of our new turn key systems. Heck my own house is powered by take out transformers for now. I got some old vista units running it.

I have about 4 or 5 transformers laying around the shop at any given time. I suppose you could ebay them as well for around half what they would cost new plus shipping.

Tomwilllight
07-10-2009, 04:05 PM
I keep a couple of scavenged Nightscapes around for mock-ups. Used transformers recycle well and the copper has some value. Not as much this year as last but better than nothing.

When the day comes that I ever get around to doing any lighting for my home... I'll use "recycled" equipment; I've got a box in my shop for that day.

Tom

Pro-Scapes
07-10-2009, 06:21 PM
Glad to see I am not the only one who has a mix and match lighting system. Its actually quite striking.

David Gretzmier
07-10-2009, 06:41 PM
so... it looks like I will be installing a system at my house of par's and nightscaping trans... and this is a good thing?

Tomwilllight
07-10-2009, 07:06 PM
It's a good thing as long as you can stand the problems junk equipment cause.

Waste not, want not...

And then there is the old saying about cobbler's children who have no shoes... Which is my problem.

Use the stuff or recycle. I really hate to see any reusable materials go into a dumpster.

I'm wondering if I've told you guys the big news yet...

Naomi and I are moving to Portland, Oregon sometime this Fall. She's got a job offer that is too good to refuse and I'm looking forward to losing my snow shovel. Right now, we're trying to sell our house and Naomi's office. Anybody interested in moving to Troy, NY?

Tom

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
07-10-2009, 11:33 PM
Tom I wish you and Naomi well on the next chapter of your life's adventure! I tell you, I had a wonderful time in Troy when we came to visit. It is a fascinating town.

You will be getting a chance to do some wild 'moon lighting' out in Oregon! Bigger taller & older trees than we have here that is for sure... remember "The higher the light, the closer to God."!

David Gretzmier
07-10-2009, 11:47 PM
Tom- I wish you well and hope you don't miss your shovel so much.

Tomwilllight
07-11-2009, 09:16 AM
Thanks James and David! We are excited.

JoeyD
07-13-2009, 09:43 AM
Portland is awesome! Lots of rain and gloomy days but its one of the greenest places you will ever see. Big, dense, thick landscaping everywhere! I have family there and like to visit often.

Tomwilllight
07-13-2009, 10:17 AM
Thanks Joey,

I'm told by a realtor (automatically suspect) that when it mists in Portland, it's raining in Seattle and pouring in Vancouver.

Is that true?

We loved our visit last May and I spent a month in Portland when I was a 20 year old hippy hitchhiking across the country. We are looking forward to the move.

Naomi has accepted a position with Pacific Northwest National Labs that will provide her a platform from which she will join and help guide the national conversation on energy efficient lightning.

Tom

JoeyD
07-13-2009, 10:30 AM
Not sure if thats true or not but I do know whether its rain or mist there is a lot of it!! LOL Vancouver and Portland are essentially the same city sperated by a stateline/river. So if its raining in Vancouver I would assume its raining in Portland. I could be wrong? Best of luck and congrats to you and Naomi!

The Lighting Geek
07-14-2009, 01:26 PM
what do you guys do with the usable transformers?

Well I think keeping transformers around can be problematic. I had 6-7 on a shelf and when I came in this afternoon, they had transformed and were playing poker in my warehouse! The stupid things chased me out and locked the door...sigh.

JoeyD
07-14-2009, 02:05 PM
Tommy did you get my email yesterday in regards to the refurbished units?

Lite4
07-14-2009, 09:06 PM
Tom, I am jealous!!! I wanted in the worst way to move back out to the Portland area. You are absolutely going to love it there! It doesn't rain all the time like everyone thinks it does. They have a wet season, late fall through late spring and then the summers are fantastic (some rain but mostly sunny dry days). It never gets super hot and the humidity is very low. you are only about 2 hours from some of the best coastlines in the western US. If you like to ski, Mt Hood is only about 1.5 hours out of town. It is incredibly green too. It is a very beautiful city, congrats on the move. I know you will love it there!

Tomwilllight
07-15-2009, 09:47 AM
A short Portland story.

One summer many years ago - as a hippy hitchhiking cross country - I spend a month in the Pacific Northwest. I hiked half way around Crater Lake and a good part of the 3 Sisters. I spent a week or 10 days in Portland - hung out at Reed College where all the co-eds were.

I fell in love with the area and have wondered if I could ever get pack. I tried once when I interviewed for a position at Willamette University in 1982 but completely blew the interview.

Naomi's decision was very easy to agree with. My biggest problem was to not get too excited when the request for her to interview came in. I didn't want to unduly influence her.

Refurbished Unique Transformers - Excellent!

I sent them a 1120 that had been struck by lightening. When it returned from the factory, I ran it though a series of tests and it performed exactly like new. It now powers my sister's lighting.

JoeyD
07-15-2009, 09:52 AM
Good stuff Tom!! Best of luck!!!