PDA

View Full Version : White Block

heygrassman
04-14-2002, 01:34 PM
I have a potential client that is determined to use white block in a very small decorative retaining wall. Any idea where I can get these in white?? Pearl White, told speciifcally not grey, not sandstone, pearlly white.

paul
04-14-2002, 01:53 PM
The picture is kind of small but it looks like your talking of "cut flag stone" It's a limestone product, try a good stone yard. How much do you need?

Try this site http://www.halquiststone.com/

Stonehenge
04-14-2002, 03:43 PM
If the stuff is quarried in Wisconsin, you'll want it quarried in or near Fond Du Lac, as the limestone there is very white - that looks like snapped face, 4-5" x 8".

LawnLad
04-14-2002, 05:06 PM
Tough to tell exactly by the picture. It could be limestone or sandstone. I don't know about around Columbus, but Cleveland (South Amherst - west of Cleveland by 30 min) has one of the world's largest sandstone quaries.

Freshly cut, rock faced stone looks white, but weathers according to site conditions. Judging by the coloration of the wall, any natural product is going to get a dingy appearance with time.

You could use a white granite - but to build an ashlar blend retaining wall out of 8" or 12" block would be very costly. Not to mention I think ugly.

BRL
04-16-2002, 05:03 PM
Sorry, I can't help. But, Stonehenge & others, I've seen that term "snap faced" a few times lately. What exactly does that mean? Thank you.

Stonehenge
04-16-2002, 05:54 PM
It means the face has been split with a guillotine-style device, giving a straight edge on top and bottom, but a rough face.

LawnLad
04-16-2002, 06:01 PM
Stonehenge - when you guys install stone, do you usually install the snapface? Or do you chisel the edges for a "rock" face? Or does this depend on the job? Is there any other factor here other than aestetics and the relative cost for the extra step involved? Just curious.

paul
04-16-2002, 10:02 PM
Here's a link on different finishes Halquest offers http://www.halquiststone.com/finishes/index.html
Click on the videos

Snapped stone has a flat face.

We install what ever the LA requests.

As size of the stone (thinckness) increases you have more control of the face of the wall. Rock facing 4" thick material is nice but only worth it for the cap. When you start getting over 12" thick you can build with rock face but the cost rises greatly. Last fall I ordered some rock face cap 3"-4" thick, cost was in the $16 a foot range. Last I checked on rock faced 12" thick stone it was $200 a ton.

Stonehenge
04-16-2002, 10:54 PM
Yeah, it can be a little jagged, but Paul's right, it's not like rock face (we used to rock face all the cut sandstone walls we used to do when I lived in Detroit).