PDA

View Full Version : help with identification

lawnwizards
07-10-2009, 06:07 PM
i posted this in the commercial mowing section but figured i'd get better responses here.
i have a customer i've had for 2 years now. up until recently here lawn looked good. all of a sudden the grass in one section just completely dried up and died. it pulls right up, no root structure left. looks like possible grubs but i wanted to get a second opinion from you guys. thanks

randy

here is the link to my original thread with pics.
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=282057

americanlawn
07-10-2009, 06:19 PM
Hi Randy - it sure ain't no insect prob. Looks to me like a combo of foot traffic (compaction) and disease (brown patch, dollar spot, brown patch, etc). Since I cannot get on my hands & knees, I can only make my best guess. I'm also guessing it's Kentucky bluegrass?

Bottom line: it looks like an area where turf-type tall fescue would do better. Maybe some stepping stones too.

Anybody else?

hughmcjr
07-11-2009, 06:42 AM
duplicate post

hughmcjr
07-11-2009, 06:47 AM
Hi Randy - it sure ain't no insect prob. Looks to me like a combo of foot traffic (compaction) and disease (brown patch, dollar spot, brown patch, etc). Since I cannot get on my hands & knees, I can only make my best guess. I'm also guessing it's Kentucky bluegrass?

Bottom line: it looks like an area where turf-type tall fescue would do better. Maybe some stepping stones too.

Anybody else?

I agree without actually seeing it, but it looks like what you are describing. I haven't had much issue with fungi here in Oregon outside of Red Thread. I have been experiencing or becoming more aware of Summer Patch and in the last week have gotten a much better understanding of fungi/treatment options, etc. Kentucky Blue I believe is very susceptible to Summer Patch as well. It doesn't mention it here but perennial ryegrass is susceptible as well.

http://www.ces.purdue.edu/extmedia/BP/BP-115-W.pdf

I just took some pics yesterday of the only customer I have that has this issue. This is a perennial ryegrass lawn, or should I say was. :cry: :o It also seems that once the grass is that dead this time of year the fungi have already done their thing and the only thing to do now is aerate in the fall, overseed/plant new seed in the fall, apply fungicide in the fall to help ward off next year of a relapse or to help minimize the impact it has on the turf coming back next year.

The conditions for this occurring here are perfect. Clay soil, full sun southwest exposure, very windy most of the time particularly in the afternoons from onshore coastal breezes 20 miles away, hasn't been aerated ever that I know of, irrigated for ridiculously long cycles of over an hour four times a week by rotating pop ups, fertilized regularly, prilled lime applied, treated for grubs and cranefly, and really does need to be aerated due to compaction and now fungus.

I applied Patchwork to it today even if it maybe too late. I wish the customer would have went along with me wanting to aerate prior to putting down the fungicide. I hope this helps.

robertsturf
07-11-2009, 10:13 AM

Anybody else?

What he said!. Also you could recommend areating the lawn in the Spring too.

lawnwizards
07-11-2009, 10:50 AM
i dont know if this would have anything to do with it but there is a privacy fence on the left side and back side and the house is on the right. its only about 4 feet wide and about 12 feet long. i recall bobby gedd saying one time that the air could cause the grass to die like that. not sure how though. anyone clarify that statement? thanks.

garydale
07-15-2009, 09:43 AM
I see p. rye under drought stress. Water a section and see if it inproves in about three weeks.

What kind of heat and or rain have you had?

lawnwizards
07-15-2009, 05:42 PM
heats been normal this time of year. lower 80's and the rain has been above average for our area. the grass pulls right up. i'm just trying to figure out whats wrong because i plan on reseeding this fall but i want to get the problem fixed first.

RAlmaroad
07-15-2009, 06:08 PM
Rye is at best a delicate grass...It like cool temps. If it is getting enough water then look at you fertilize. Do you know the history of type and amount applied? Have you run a soil test? As Bobby Gedd said that heat can all by itself even with water dry up the grass. The circulation is much like putting the grass in an over with air blowing. Maybe this is a little dramatic but Annual Rye dried up at the beginning of June through the strength of the sun and dry air. Perennial Rye probably has some of those factors. You could buy a few pieced of fescue sod and plant it inside the already dead areas and see how it reacts. If it grows then replace it, if it too dies then let's find the reason. Just some suggestions. You don't have too much to loose at this point.
It could be that it is like Pansy's--they thrive in winter then die out when a little heat of the summer begins--
Roy