PDA

View Full Version : The right way to plant

93Chevy
07-11-2009, 02:02 PM
Noticed this at a customer's house last week.

You're supposed to leave them in the pot, right? :rolleyes:

Pics with phone, sorry for bad quality.

Jason Rose
07-11-2009, 04:23 PM
What the crap? lol

Years ago I had a homeowner tell me that they had been told by a "professional" that when planting shrubs just cut the bottom out of the pot, then put it in the hole. They said it makes the roots go deeper since the surface roots can't get out... Just repeating what I was told.

ponyboy
07-11-2009, 06:05 PM
guess it wont be hard to transplant them they should just pop right out of the ground

93Chevy
07-11-2009, 06:24 PM
What the crap? lol

Years ago I had a homeowner tell me that they had been told by a "professional" that when planting shrubs just cut the bottom out of the pot, then put it in the hole. They said it makes the roots go deeper since the surface roots can't get out... Just repeating what I was told.

Yeah, I'm assuming they just cut the bottom out. It seems easier to me to take the plant out, but whatever.

Think Green
07-13-2009, 08:52 PM
What are those Yews?

I have seen customers that will take extra plants at the end of each season and store them in a certain area. They forget about them, and the tap root ends up growing out of the pot, then the customer don't want to cut it off. Dirt is piled up around the pots to overwinter them and eventually the plants just sit there as a new shrubbery bed!!!!????
It is funny, however the nurseries overwinter stock sometimes this way, but is more common in B&B not in BR. Those feeder roots cannot expand outward, so all that is living is the tap root and whatever nutrients the pot is supporting such as the Osmocote pellets. These plants will eventually strangulate and die anyway..

Funny Though!!

93Chevy
07-13-2009, 11:11 PM
I am nearly certain they are yews.

They are very tall, but also very sparse and thin.

Think Green
07-14-2009, 09:50 PM
They either trimmed them back too far or the evidence of lateral root strangulation is ongoing.... LOL!
The shoots sprouting from the base of those shrubs are signs of problems or top cut exposure...

93Chevy
07-14-2009, 10:17 PM
I'll try to remember to get more pics next time I'm there.

I'm only there every 2-3 weeks. I just mow the banks along the driveway and line trim the property.

South Florida Lawns
07-17-2009, 02:42 AM
them are some ugly ass plants