PDA

View Full Version : Certainty Application With Hudson Hose End Sprayer

rrunchey
07-11-2009, 04:21 PM
I have been spot treating quackgrass around my house with Certainty with good results however it seems to be getting out of controls so rather than using my pump sprayer I was hoping to use my Hudson Hose End Sprayer that I use to spray Weed B gone. The only problem is I can't figure out how I should mix it or what rate I should spray at. The model of the sprayer is 2204 and it holds 36 oz of liquid. It has five settings, 1 TSP, 1.5 TSP, 2 TSP, 1 TBSP and 4 TSP. The sprayer settings use the full 36 oz to make 192, 128, 96, 64 and 48 gallons of product/water mixture. Certainty for Quackgrass control is to be applied at .75 ounces per acre in 20 to 30 gallons of water per acre. The area I need to spray is approximately .2 acres.

I am a homeowner and I realize I may be in a little over my head here but thought I would see if any has some thoughts.

Thanks,
Rob

RigglePLC
07-11-2009, 04:38 PM
Yes, way over your head. The hose-end model is designed to measure the ingredient as a liquid--you are using a dry product. How many gallons of water per acre does the hose-end apply? You need to know that first.

I would stick with the hand sprayer if you are successful so far. Remember that Certainty takes out ryegrass, and that most lawns in the north have about half ryegrass.

Think Green
07-11-2009, 06:21 PM
Rob,
I am not disnaming the Hudson hose-end sprayer, but for the most part of the one's that I have used is for completely EC pesticides and herbicides like the 3-way products.
Any of the WP,CS products need to either have agitation or pre-dilution before they are blended to larger water first. The particles of syspended chemical will settle and sometimes clog the aperature of the sprayer.
The hose-end sprayers aren't that accurate anyway!!

rrunchey
07-12-2009, 02:00 AM
The sprayer doesn't say how many gallons per acrea. It just gives me how many gallons a container full will make at the specified setting.

I think I will do as suggested and stick to the pump sprayer. I probably just need to be more diligent with applications.

Also to clarify, my yard is 100% kentucky bluegrass.

Thanks for the thoughts.

foreplease
07-12-2009, 08:50 AM
Also to clarify, my yard is 100% kentucky bluegrass.

I don't think Certainty will do you any good then :rolleyes:

Sorry.

No hose end sprayer mfg. can tell you how many gallons per acre or thousand square feet. That depends on many variables such as how fast you walk, water pressure and volume through the cannister, viscosity of mixture you are applying, etc.

3/4 of an ounce per acre is a very low rate. I'm not saying it is the wrong rate, I am saying many homeowners make mistakes in larger increments than an ounce. You need to apply 15/100ths of an ounce over about 8,700 square feet. Seems daunting doesn't it? There is a lot more risk in doing it wrong than reward in doing it right. I respect that you want to learn and are interested in doing it well, but nobody here could do a satisfactory job using the tools you have.

Hose end sprayers have their place but you absolutely need to know what kind of coverage you get. Try filling it with water only and spraying a measured and marked area whose size is 1,000 square feet. Go over it several times at a pace you can comfortably maintain - and keep track of how many times you go over it. Examine the cannister after spraying 5,000 square feet, for example, and write down how much was used. Using a calculator you can easily figure out how much cannister mix (assuming viscosity is close to that of plain water) it takes you to spray per thousand square feet. Take a Sharpie and write that (remember to specify what sprayer setting you used) somewhere on the hose-end sprayer so you know from one time to the next.

Broadleaf weed killers are much more forgiving than ultra-low rate products such as Certainty. Knowing what kind of coverage you get can only improve your results with the Weed B Gone.

See Section 6.2 on the label for more information on trying to do this with your handheld sprayer.

FdLLawnMan
07-12-2009, 09:34 AM
I don't think Certainty will do you any good then :rolleyes:

Sorry.

Why do you say that. Certainty will work very well on KBG lawns to get rid of Quackgrass. You must be very diligent in the application of Certainty. It needs to have the correct calibration, apply 14 to 21 days apart and use a good surfactant, and never do it when the lawn is under stress. Quackgrass removal requires applications 2 years in a row to be successful, at least that is what I have experienced.

Grandview
07-12-2009, 09:52 AM
I do not even like to spray Certainty with a back pack sprayer. A hose end sprayer would be even more of a nightmare to get the proper rate. It can be done but would be difficult.

foreplease
07-12-2009, 10:18 AM
Why do you say that.

Because if it is 100% KBG he has no weeds or need to spray. I put the rolling eyes/sarcastic thing in to point out I was kidding.

Think Green
07-12-2009, 09:43 PM
Certainty--ly!!!!! LOL!!
Bada--ch! I thank you!

I just caught the 100% KBG thing too!
All other reponses are ok!!!

No offense Runchey!
Just some good observative humor, and the lack of observation!

jspray
07-13-2009, 12:12 AM
Way, way over your head. Sulfosulfuron, Certainty is in the sulfonyl family of herbicides which are soil active and will move laterally with rain.

Any application should be put on with one coat--no overlaps and watching for slopes where the material may leach.

Application technique is critical Use a nozzle at a calibrated speed and pressure and put on only one calibrated coat.

With a Solo or equivalent back pack and a TFVS-3 tip and a 2.5 mph comfortable walking speed and 15 psi low pumping press. you will spray one 4 gal tank per 1/4 ac. or 4 tanks per ac.

One coat only, watch slopes and drainage.

Bill J.