PDA

View Full Version : How to fix a leaning tree?

firstchoice1
07-11-2009, 07:48 PM
It's a 12 ft ornamental broadleaf evergreen. Leaning slightly about 20 degrees?

Would a small 2 by 4 inplanted into the ground on opposite side with rope tide to it and top of the tree work?

JDiepstra
07-11-2009, 09:52 PM
I wouldn't put the rope at the top of the tree. Id put it 4 - 5 feet up or so. Otherwise all youll have is a bent tree.

Mike's LawnCare Landscape
07-11-2009, 09:58 PM
I wouldn't put the rope at the top of the tree. Id put it 4 - 5 feet up or so. Otherwise all youll have is a bent tree.
Yea 3 to 4 feet will work good but do it in stages unless the ground is soft . we don't want any bent trees !!

topsites
07-14-2009, 11:10 AM
Remember to use some kind of a device, not sure what to call it...
A good piece of rag folded up several times might work...
As a buffer, against the bark of the tree, then the rope around that.

Otherwise the rope will cut into the bark, weakening and possibly killing the tree.

DiyDave
07-14-2009, 08:48 PM
We use steel cable, and old garden hose to guy trees. Just remember to loosen the guy wires so the tree doesn't girdle itself on the wires, as it grows thicker.:waving:

Ryall Landscaping
07-18-2009, 02:00 AM
It's a 12 ft ornamental broadleaf evergreen. Leaning slightly about 20 degrees?

Would a small 2 by 4 inplanted into the ground on opposite side with rope tide to it and top of the tree work?

Recently had a job with several (8 or so) 20 ft pines that needed re-alligned, as they were leaning at various angles.

We took some wood (can't remember the exact size - ~2"x2") and cut them into ~15" long pieces and shaved one end into a point with a miter saw. We drilled a 1/2" hole through each one near the top. We bought 5' of PVC tubing to prevent any damage done to the trees by the rope (some use rubber tubing, but this worked great and cost me like $3). 2-3 stakes per tree. We tied the rope on the tree 6-8ft from the ground.

Weeks later, they have held up wonderfully, the customer was THRILLED with how well they worked/looked, and we even got a referral from them :)!

Tim