PDA

View Full Version : Which Pre-M for this weed?

ussoldierforhire
07-11-2009, 08:41 PM
Frequent applications of MSMA are putting this weed down but it keeps spreading like wildfire. Which Pre Emergent Herbicide will keep this bad boy from coming back? This weed is infesting my common bermuda lawn.

P.S. What is the name of this weed? I haven't a clue.

Thanks!

RigglePLC
07-11-2009, 08:50 PM
I am from cool season country. Crabgrass is a possibility, particularly if your weather is warm. Dimension pre-emergent should stop this from germinating--but after that, it only works in the post -emergent stage when the crabgrass is less than an inch tall. (If that is what it is). Maybe you will have an early frost.

ussoldierforhire
07-11-2009, 09:12 PM
I live in Georgia. I can't find any products with dimension in it. Everywhere around here has halts and that stuff totally did not work for me.

ussoldierforhire
07-11-2009, 10:11 PM
bumps for weed id

IRRITECH
07-11-2009, 10:26 PM
Crabgrass, and anything will prevent it . I personaly use Dimension. Find a Lesco/John deere dealer. Heres the closest one

152 Challenger Ct
Columbus, GA 31904-4400
Robert Taunton

ussoldierforhire
07-11-2009, 10:33 PM
Crabgrass, and anything will prevent it . I personaly use Dimension. Find a Lesco/John deere dealer. Heres the closest one

152 Challenger Ct
Columbus, GA 31904-4400
Robert Taunton

Thats where i bought my john deere, didnt know they sold products like that. Thanks, I'll call em monday!

IRRITECH
07-11-2009, 10:40 PM
Thats where i bought my john deere, didnt know they sold products like that. Thanks, I'll call em monday!

ask them about Drive. It works alot better than MSMA. But you have to use the specified sticker which is Methylated Seed Oil to get consistent results

kirk1701
07-11-2009, 11:16 PM
Drive will kill whats already up and growing. Dimension will prevent what seed is in your yard from germinating.

If the MSMA is killing it which sound like it is maybe all you need is the Dimension.

ussoldierforhire
07-11-2009, 11:36 PM
thanks guys

olive123
07-12-2009, 07:52 PM
barricade....

Think Green
07-12-2009, 08:36 PM
Soldier,

Dimension has both a pre and post emergent activity. The post emerge side of the chemical application window, is when the crabgrass is in the 3-4 leaf stages. Most times, the Bermuda is growing over the weedlets, and you can't see them until they emerge. Usually it is too late after that but the dimension will take the small one's out.
You can use Pendimethalin but it is messy and smells bad, yet it does not have the same control as dimension. It can be your choice as the Pre-M is way cheaper than the Dimension is. Trust me!

The thing is, you have to start in the Fall and Early Spring to control crabgrass.
The time to apply a preemerge for crabgrass is when the soil temperature is between 52-55 degrees and consecutively for a couple of weeks. Some people go by the Forsythia bloom as a sign to apply preemerge's. IF you miss this window of apportunity, then the posteremgent chemicals are all that is left until the next season.
It will take multiple applications to control and eliminate crabgrass, so have some patients because it isn't easy to get it gone.

Florida Gardener
07-13-2009, 12:46 AM
I used the dimension from lesco with great results. I have a customer that had patchy spots in the yard with crabgrass. This past winter, when we had 2 freezes near south florida, it killed the crabgrass. i waited for a warm week and put down the pre-m(this was in feb.) now, no crabgrass at all on the property. Most of the areas filled in with st. augustine, one area filled in with torpedo grass and another area with another grassy weed, but no crabgrass. im going to resod those few small weedy areas. The rest of the lawn looks great though. I fertilized in April and this past Friday.