PDA

View Full Version : Did i charge to much?

GreenAcresLandscaping
07-11-2009, 09:35 PM
I was approached by a neighbor of one of my customers who i was doing a pool landscape job for and they asked me to give them an estimate to dig a 15ft Arb that had got taken over by bag worms, fill in the hole with topsoil and lay down new mulch.
I told her 150. I thought it was gonna take about 2 man hours to dig it. I would have to pay $20 to get rid of it and $5 for a bag of mulch. I didn't really want to do the job i thought it was gonna be a PITA.
We dug the tree in about 20 min and i felt kinda bad going up to the door and asking for $150 for a 20min job but the wife asked about the job and the husband paid me for the work. He seemed happy till i told him what it cost. Then he had to go into the safe to get more cash.

grandview (2006)
07-11-2009, 09:38 PM
No you didn't . Everyone needs a minimum. If it to longer I'm sure you wouldn't of asked for more if it took longer.

david shumaker
07-12-2009, 08:52 PM
I've had a few occassions where I overpriced a job alot to cover any unseen circumstances or it just took a whole lot less time than I thought it would. I adjusted the invoice on these occassions.

93Chevy
07-12-2009, 09:02 PM
She knew the cost going into it, so it should be an issue. If I had been in that situation, then I may have knocked $50 off the price, but maybe not.

JNyz
07-13-2009, 02:53 PM
You hit a homerun. What is wrong with that? It makes up for some of the loses.

daveyo
07-13-2009, 09:05 PM
I would have charged about 220, fixed costs recovered, job costs recovered, and profit. Don't be afraid of making money. Oh yea and if it took two hours to dig out there would be a problem.

AkRowdyA78
07-13-2009, 09:41 PM
You might of gotten payed good, but I don't think they'll be calling you back for another job. $150 I mean for 20 minutes? C'mon!

JNyz
07-13-2009, 10:03 PM
You might of gotten payed good, but I don't think they'll be calling you back for another job. $150 I mean for 20 minutes? C'mon!

What would a plumber charge to go to your house and clean out a drain and it took 20 minutes?

When a landscaper shows up with more equipment then a plumber, why should he be paid less on a per hour basis?

The only reason I can think of is there are landscapers who do not know how to price their work correctly and do not know their true expenses.

daveyo
07-14-2009, 05:26 AM
What would a plumber charge to go to your house and clean out a drain and it took 20 minutes?

When a landscaper shows up with more equipment then a plumber, why should he be paid less on a per hour basis?

The only reason I can think of is there are landscapers who do not know how to price their work correctly and do not know their true expenses.

Which would be akrowdy.

topsites
07-14-2009, 09:57 AM
Yes, and no.

This isn't the best job to start a relationship with either thou, maybe educating the customer might have helped?
But then some say "NO I just want an estimate and you to do it" or some such bs...

Because it's one of those jobs where it is easy to get burned, I dislike estimating plant digging for this reason.
And I've adjusted the invoice before too, but not always.

You hit a homerun. What is wrong with that? It makes up for some of the loses.

Yup, just have to have that attitude some days.

Stillwater
07-14-2009, 10:10 AM
I was approached by a neighbor of one of my customers who i was doing a pool landscape job for and they asked me to give them an estimate to dig a 15ft Arb that had got taken over by bag worms, fill in the hole with topsoil and lay down new mulch.
I told her 150. I thought it was gonna take about 2 man hours to dig it. I would have to pay $20 to get rid of it and $5 for a bag of mulch. I didn't really want to do the job i thought it was gonna be a PITA.
We dug the tree in about 20 min and i felt kinda bad going up to the door and asking for $150 for a 20min job but the wife asked about the job and the husband paid me for the work. He seemed happy till i told him what it cost. Then he had to go into the safe to get more cash.

Alright stop this nonsense right now! first the job did not take 20 minutes so stop deluding yourself. It took 20 minutes to dig it out that is what you said it's not the entire job. acquiring 1 bag of mulch, acquiring the required amount of topsoil, disposal of tree. You did all that in 20 minutes? even if you already had topsoil in your back pocket and mulch in the other it doesn't matter you need to account for the time for when you did acquire that...

how long to load the truck drive to the dump pay the 20 and leave to get 1 bag of mulch and topsoil drive all the way back to the job spread soil and toss mulch.

I suggest you get a firmer grip on your costs or your experiment in self employment will dive. You could have took a token 20.00 off the bill but that is your judgment call. On the other side you also need to make sure your customers think they are getting a fair deal or they will never call or recommend you. 5 extremely happy customers is worth 10 grand in advertising.

LushGreenLawn
07-14-2009, 12:09 PM
Stillwater said it best. Please reread the post above, its the best advice you will see regarding this matter
Posted via Mobile Device

JB1
07-14-2009, 12:30 PM
there is no such thing as charging too much.

JNyz
07-14-2009, 01:47 PM
Quick story. Met a guy who just started his own tree biz, he had a truck and chipper. I told him a client wanted a big oak removed. He said " give them a price and we will split the money after payroll. I overestimated the job. Told the client 1200.00 and we finished by 11am with one laborer. I went to collect the payment and told the client it only came to 1100.00. I told the tree guy what I did and he said "you will never be rich, your heart is too big."

It didn't change me at that moment but it had a lasting effect.

coolluv
07-14-2009, 02:32 PM
Alright stop this nonsense right now! first the job did not take 20 minutes so stop deluding yourself. It took 20 minutes to dig it out that is what you said it's not the entire job. acquiring 1 bag of mulch, acquiring the required amount of topsoil, disposal of tree. You did all that in 20 minutes? even if you already had topsoil in your back pocket and mulch in the other it doesn't matter you need to account for the time for when you did acquire that...

how long to load the truck drive to the dump pay the 20 and leave to get 1 bag of mulch and topsoil drive all the way back to the job spread soil and toss mulch.

I suggest you get a firmer grip on your costs or your experiment in self employment will dive. You could have took a token 20.00 off the bill but that is your judgment call. On the other side you also need to make sure your customers think they are getting a fair deal or they will never call or recommend you. 5 extremely happy customers is worth 10 grand in advertising.

Thank you for such a great response to that question. Every new guy should read this. That is exactly the mentality of most on this site. Its good to see there are some on here that know what to charge and why.

Dave...