PDA

View Full Version : To kill Bahiaa Grass

dtelawn
07-12-2009, 12:39 AM
I am not very experienced in chemical application. I plan oto get more into it later in business but haven't yet. I just purchased a home and I want to kill ALL of the bahiaa. I understand that 2-4-D will only get the broadleaf. I am not very concerned on the other grasses living. Next spring I want to seed the entire yard with bermuda .

What do I ned to get rid of the bahiaa.

hmartin
07-12-2009, 12:48 AM
Next spring spray the lawn with Round-up and till it a week or two later.

Metsulfuron and/or MSMA will get rid of bahia but don't count on one application being a total kill.

dtelawn
07-12-2009, 12:55 AM
thanks for the info. I plan on having to do it next spring because of my work load right now. If I am able to get on it this year I'm not sure there will be enough growing season left to fill in before winter. I dought I will be able to till it all up. This is about 3/4 acre. A lot of smoothing.

cmrgrounds
07-12-2009, 02:10 AM
how do you get bahia out of centipede? Wont MSMA kill the centipede as well.

greendoctor
07-12-2009, 04:36 AM
In centipede, safe herbicides to apply are Image, metsufuron or sethoxydim. Of course, you do not apply MSMA in centipede. Take note of the safe rate of metsufuron to apply. NO MORE THAN 1/2 OZ PER ACRE, not per gallon. If you do not have the equipment to broadcast apply low rates of hebicide evenly and accurately to an area, it might be a good time to hire it out to a pro.