PDA

View Full Version : Needing some advice?

gmeeks
07-12-2009, 12:58 AM
This year is my first year and it is very slow. I have 2 full time accounts that is VERY satisfied and I have done a few here and there for people that is going on vacation and there mower broke down but thats it. I have had a couple of landscape jobs though. I would love for my business to grow and prosper. The county that I live in their is mainly one company that gets the majority of the work. There has got to be something that I can do to take some of that work from her. But alot of the yards she has is every other week for $40.00 a trip and it looks like CRAP, just to be honest with you. I would never leave a home with things looking like that. But I am one of those people that does not want to mow every other week because it doesn't look well maintained and it doesn't reflect good quality on my company. And furthermore I can't see myself competing with her at those prices. She has teenagers working for her that just don't take pride in what they do.

I was hoping with fall coming up that I could do something to try and get the fall cleanups away from her and showing how good of a quality job that I do that I may carry some of this until next season so I can get some of her work. I am really determined and willing to do what it takes that I am asking for all of your opinions and suggestions so tell me what you would do in my situation. Thanks in advance

gmeeks
07-13-2009, 09:11 AM
Come on guys I know you have some advice.

hackitdown
07-13-2009, 05:56 PM
Here is my advice. Don't worry about the competition, who cares what they do or don't do. The only time I ask about the competition is if the customer tells my they are switching, then I ask why...only so I don't make the same mistake.

Advertise your services, offer fair pricing, and do a good job. Make sure you ask the customer what they want and need, if they want bi-weekly, so be it.

SangerLawn
07-13-2009, 09:05 PM
if they want bi-weekly, so be it.

But make sure they know you will not cut there lawn 2 or 3 times in the spring to get rid of grass clipping when the grass is growing like crazy if they are only going to be a bi-weekly lawn. You will loose money that way. We do bi-weekly lawns but I let them know in advance that I only cut 1 time. What it cats it cuts, what it doesnít it doesnít. if they want it cut several times in 1 visit I charge extra. Personally I donít like working twice as hard and working my equipment twice as hard for half the money.